Wiki Posts
Search

First Experience on Cathay

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer

My wife and I just returned from Bangkok and we used AA miles to book our first business class flights on Cathay. We flew CX754 from BKK-HKG and CX892 from HKG-SFO. Both flights were on 359's. Here's a brief report and some observations.

Check-in at BKK was very smooth. There was no line at the counter and boarding passes and lounge cards were printed for both legs of the journey. We were able to use the priority line for security and immigration and it was a good thing, as the regular line at BKK can be.....challenging.....to say the least. All in all, we went from taxi to lounge in the space of about 15 minutes, a record for us at BKK.

The Cathay Lounge at BKK was all right. The noodle bar was a nice surprise, although the noodles were a little overcooked. The WiFi was fine and the chairs were comfortable, so not a while lot else needs to be said. The noodle bar at the HKG lounge was, not suprisingly, much nicer.

Boarding was smooth and we pushed back ahead of schedule. The IFE for the flight was fine, at least mechanically, and it's certainly not CX's fault that Hollywood and the music industry puts of junk these days. The seats were fine, although on both flights, it looked like the fabric and the components of the seat were already experiencing quite a bit of wear and tear. But I slept eight hours on the HKG-SFO leg, so I can't complain about comfort.

Food service started almost immediately on both flights. And here's where my disappointment came in, both on this flight and the later HKG-SFO flight. I thought that the food on CX was pretty pedestrian. We've been fortunate enough to gather enough points in both the Star Alliance and on OneWorld to take most of the major Asian TransPac carriers (Singapore being one that will come up in November). Each of the ones we've taken (JAL, ANA and EVA) have had more of a WOW factor when it came to mealtime. I didn't feel like that on Cathay. The meal selections were pretty much what I would have expected in economy class. I also thought the flight attendants on Cathay were much less helpful than on the others, certainly a LOT less helpful as compared to EVA.

So, in summary, the flight was comfortable, but I felt it wasn't as nice an experience as the flights we've had on ANA and, in particular on JAL (which we took going over to Asia) and most particularly on EVA, which we just love. I won't say I was disappointed, because it's pretty crazy to say you're disappointed in an awards flight on a five star airline, but I will say I expected a little more.
QRC3288, Unterwegs, royng and 3 others like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
thanks for the report welcome to the forum
Old May 14, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Welcome CaliforniaSteve.
Unfortunately your experience is consistent with all posts on CX, Food/wine served in CX premium cabins is well below par.
Personally, I also feel a significant drop in service, although uneven, but others would disagree.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Agree with the food part. While I don't mind the food cart, I think lumping everything on one tray is annoying. Even AA could serve meals in courses. Last time the J FA put the bread on the sausage, which is...eye-opening.

Have to disagree with the FA. FA in PEY and J are the most consistent to me. ISM as well. Some avoided lengthy conversations while I was watching movies while others offered quite personal touch (Mr. XX I am so sorry we had to cancel your flight last night, any plans in XXX??).

I agree in general the soft products aren't what they used to be.

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 14, 2018 at 8:45 am Reason: typo
Old May 14, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

The only conversation directed to either my wife or me was to my wife (Singaporean by birth of Chinese descent) asking if she could switch seats with a gentleman in the first middle row. First row middle on Cathay’s 359 has a beautiful view of the bathroom. My wife respectfully declined the invitation to switch seats.

Other than that, it was crickets pretty much throughout the cabin on both flights.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just finished a JAL roundtrip BOS-NRT, and flew Cathay BOS-HKG and back last fall, both in business class. Across the board I thought Cathay beat JAL: hard product (JAL seat has better privacy than CX but no storage at all and felt less spacious), service, food (JAL food was considerably worse than Cathay's, especially the Japanese meal which was really disappointing). JAL was almost self-service; all the mandatory service was provided, but not once was I asked, in either direction, whether I wanted any additional drinks or drink refills. They were very accommodating but totally reactive, meaning much use of the call button. CX was much more proactive, offering drinks multiple times throughout the flight and generally anticipating passenger needs much better.

Without a doubt, given a choice, I would take CX over JAL any time.
henry999 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve
The only conversation directed to either my wife or me was to my wife (Singaporean by birth of Chinese descent) asking if she could switch seats with a gentleman in the first middle row. First row middle on Cathay’s 359 has a beautiful view of the bathroom. My wife respectfully declined the invitation to switch seats.

Other than that, it was crickets pretty much throughout the cabin on both flights.
Was a reason given for asking for the swap? I’m wondering if the person in that seat was being DYKWIA and just trying to get out of that undesirable seat.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I just finished a JAL roundtrip BOS-NRT, and flew Cathay BOS-HKG and back last fall, both in business class. Across the board I thought Cathay beat JAL: hard product (JAL seat has better privacy than CX but no storage at all and felt less spacious), service, food (JAL food was considerably worse than Cathay's, especially the Japanese meal which was really disappointing). JAL was almost self-service; all the mandatory service was provided, but not once was I asked, in either direction, whether I wanted any additional drinks or drink refills. They were very accommodating but totally reactive, meaning much use of the call button. CX was much more proactive, offering drinks multiple times throughout the flight and generally anticipating passenger needs much better.

Without a doubt, given a choice, I would take CX over JAL any time.
Interesting that our experiences are so opposite one another.

Was a reason given for asking for the swap? I’m wondering if the person in that seat was being DYKWIA and just trying to get out of that undesirable seat.

Not that my wife heard.

Old May 15, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve

In hindsight you should probably have posted here before the flight. Those of us who fly CX regularly could have warned you this is a planned part of the service. On CX you will always be left alone unless you use the call bell, which will be answered within seconds. The idea is that you don't want to be disturbed unnecessarily but plenty of US passengers fall foul of that particular quirk.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1010101
In hindsight you should probably have posted here before the flight. Those of us who fly CX regularly could have warned you this is a planned part of the service. On CX you will always be left alone unless you use the call bell, which will be answered within seconds. The idea is that you don't want to be disturbed unnecessarily but plenty of US passengers fall foul of that particular quirk.
I am one of the few US pax who don't want to be disturbed. It's nice ISM has personal greetings though.

During the sleeping hours on LH, I feel an eye contact usually works. I got asked if I needed to be refilled or any food/drinks every time I intentionally looked at the FA without my headphone on. But the call bell works 100% of the time - FA will apologize if she/he is late. Again, I can't complain about CX's J/PEY FA.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've found CX cabin crews to be quite good and consistent in general. I'd say KE crews in F are a bit more attentive than CX crews (in J or PE), but I've never flown CX F so I can't compare directly.

I've only had one occasion when I had to wait more than a minute or so after pressing the call button. And the FA apologized for the delay.

That said, I do find that CX crews provide markedly better service if you're OWE or equivalent. No status pax will definitely get less attentive service. Which isn't a bad thing, imo...

I am a bit mystified by the JAL comparison. I've found JAL crews to be less consistent overall and far less likely to have any English speakers on non-Anglo routes. In contrast, I've never flown a CX route that did not have at least one English speaking FA.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I just booked a one-way Award trip using AA miles for BKK-SFO later this year on CX on the new A350 (We are flying SQ F to BKK. ).

I have only flown them once, which was a return flight home from BKK last year but in F. They have the most comfy beds up there in F! Service was stellar, food was awesome.

I am hoping that our J experience won't be too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.