Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Threesome business on seperate dates

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Question Threesome business on seperate dates

Hi all, now that I have your attention, here are the questions. Looking for some advice on traveling with an infant (just under two) from China to Europe, via HKG. Mother will travel on seperate dates except the flight between HKG and Europe, which will be all three together. Its the little ones first flight. Generally an easy going character, and happy as long as toys, food or rest are provided. So not too much worry on that one. More concerned about space and comfort for the mother. Idea is to have two adult tickets and one infant in lap. Dad will be on same flights HKG-Europe-HKG, but separate flight otherwise (all CX however)

- Would booking two J flatbeds be preferable over three PY seats (front row, and having a CX crib for the little one, (12Kg now)?
- Would CX automatically offer a empty seat (if available) to us?
- Can the mother expect any assistance from PEK to HKG traveling only with the little one?
- Any preferred seat for the three on the long sectors (its in a A350 or B777)
- What are the possibilities of booking one PY seat and one J class bed (with the little one on the PY ticket as infant on lap). Can the two adults swap during the flight between PY and J (little stays in PY of course)?

Also, there is a possibility that the little one will go out with both adults, but come back later with dad (who is on a separate ticket, but would then be on the same flight. How would that work in terms of CX accommodating the infant on lap (essentially swapping from one parent outbound to another one inbound). This is assuming that mother and infant are booked on one ticket, dad on another. Is that even possible?

Finally is there a option for a infant to fly as a UAM?

thanks for any insights and answers in advance

Last edited by timesnaps; May 13, 2018 at 3:03 am
Old May 13, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi all, now that I have your attention, here are the questions. Looking for some advice on traveling with an infant (just under two) from China to Europe, via HKG. Mother will travel on seperate dates except the flight between HKG and Europe, which will be all three together. Its the little ones first flight. Generally an easy going character, and happy as long as toys, food or rest are provided. So not too much worry on that one. More concerned about space and comfort for the mother. Idea is to have two adult tickets and one infant in lap. Dad will be on same flights HKG-Europe-HKG, but separate flight otherwise (all CX however)

- Would booking two J flatbeds be preferable over three PY seats (front row, and having a CX crib for the little one, (12Kg now)?
- Would CX automatically offer a empty seat (if available) to us?
- Can the mother expect any assistance from PEK to HKG traveling only with the little one?
- What are the possibilities of booking one PY seat and one J class bed (with the little one on the PY ticket as infant on lap). Can the two adults swap during the flight between PY and J (little stays in PY of course)?

Also, there is a possibility that the little one will go out with both adults, but come back later with dad (who is on a separate ticket, but would then be on the same flight. How would that work in terms of CX accommodating the infant on lap (essentially swapping from one parent outbound to another one inbound). This is assuming that mother and infant are booked on one ticket, dad on another. Is that even possible?

Finally is there a option for a infant to fly as a UAM?

thanks for any insights and answers in advance
I fly with my daughter from time to time, she is now 22 months old. So here are my answers to your questions/experience which you may find it useful.

1) I have only flown with my daughter in F and J so far on both short and longhaul. Recently, I did a trip with her to Japan in J with longhaul flatbed; I bought her an infant fare (ie. she's on my lap). During the flight she took a nap and I had the seat turned into a flatbed. She was basically occupying 80% of the width of the flatbed whilst asleep and I had to sleep sideway in a very uncomfortable position. And that was just an hour nap for her and our flight to Japan was only a little over 3 hours. After this flight I told myself that for longhaul, she needs her own seat. I can't imagine myself holding up in that awkward sideway position for a longhaul just so my daughter can sleep comfortable in the same seat. YMMV. So if picking between 2 J vs 3 PEY, I would say definitely 3 PEY. I am not sure how big you are but even you are petite, fitting both an adult AND an infant on a flatbed will never be comfortable. FYI the baby won't fit into the baby crib onboard at that weight and age, you can forget that part.
2) I haven't experienced this myself as most of the flights I took my daughter were all full.
3) I have traveled with my daughter alone and I found the crew extremely helpful. Partly due to my DM status and the class I flew in but I think crew in general would offer their help when they see you traveling with a kid alone. Of course, don't expect them to feed your baby or treat them as your nanny in the air. You're the parent and you should take care of your own kid.
4) I always try to get the mini J cabin in 777-300ER or A350 as a lot of the trips I took my daughter along were family trips so we either occupied the entire mini cabin or almost the entire mini cabin. That way I feel we could minimize inconvenience to other pax.
5) Switching seats in between different cabin class is not allowed. So I'd advise you to either book all in PEY or in J.
6) If the infant is flying in/out with two different adults, you may have to buy two one way ticket. I am not entirely sure but call CX ticketing and they can advise you right away.
7) Flying an infant as an unaccompanied minor? Seriously??!!! You would let a little baby fly alone? (Not judging but what kind of parents would do that?) The answer is pretty obvious, it's a no I think. CX UM is for children traveling alone at age 6 to 17.

Last edited by HKGglobaltrotter; May 13, 2018 at 4:47 am
Old May 13, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
3) I have traveled with my daughter alone and I found the crew extremely helpful. Partly due to my DM status and the class I flew in but I think crew in general would offer their help when they see you traveling with a kid alone. Of course, don't expect them to feed your baby or treat them as your nanny in the air. You're the parent and you should take care of your own kid.
Obviously the FA's are not there to look after your personal needs or those of your family, just asking to get an idea about the general attitude - thanks for answering.

4) I always try to get the mini J cabin in 777-300ER or A350 as a lot of the trips I took my daughter along were family trips so we either occupied the entire mini cabin or almost the entire mini cabin. That way I feel we could minimize inconvenience to other pax.
Yep, that seems to be the location to aim for I guess in J.

5) Switching seats in between different cabin class is not allowed. So I'd advise you to either book all in PEY or in J.
Ok, asking as I saw other post where people discusses swapping seats (voluntarily downgrading for whatever reasons, and offering thir J seat to a PY or Y passenger), which seemed to be possible.

7) Flying an infant as an unaccompanied minor? Seriously??!!! You would let a little baby fly alone? (Not judging but what kind of parents would do that?) The answer is pretty obvious, it's a no I think. CX UM is for children traveling alone at age 6 to 17.
That should have been a separate post, as it was not related to this itinerary, but just asked, since I posted anyways - I remember going across Europe on a train in the mid 70ties as a toddler of 5 years old, unaccompanied except for my even younger sibling and some special train staff.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
On question 3, a flight attendant once held my daughter for 10-15 minutes on CX business so that my wife could eat her meal when she was traveling without me. YMMV.
timesnaps likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
So far we've found the only business class seat wide enough for an infant+mother is SQ's (and that's with my wife being quite petite)

For CX I agree with the comment above, will be very tight unless your baby basically sleeps on top of you. Although I've found the A350s to "feel" wider when flat so it might be a bit better
timesnaps likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Based on the title, I was expecting a different topic.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
FWIW, I've done TPAC with two kids (one infant (under 2) and one (2 yrs) with child seat). Anecdotally (and there is absolutely no expectation of this before people jump on me for being entitled), the FAs have allowed me to use an empty J seat for a baby sleeping. We were all on one side of the mini-cabin (so total four seats) and we had three of them with the fourth being empty. The FA proactively offered to put bedding down on that seat for us to use as needed.

We've also had a kind FA who offered to hold my infant, when my wife and child were sleeping and I really needed to use the restroom and didn't want to leave an infant unattended. I chose not to impose and decided to wake my wife up instead but I did appreciate the offer.

Finally, re: the infant ticket, again anecdotally, I just had a situation where the infant ticket was connected to my ticket, in an itinerary with mom and child. I had to cancel my trip, so mom and child traveled by themselves - the call center refused to transfer the infant ticket to the mom ticket. Maybe if I HUACA, I could have gotten someone to do it but I was fine with keeping the infant with me while mom and child were out and about, so I didn't press it.
timesnaps likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:11 pm

Just to add to a few of the points:

Cribs are small and much worse than any Y seat for a 12kg baby. The J seats are pretty narrow, and you surely wouldn't get too much sleep unless the adult is very petite. Would go for 3 PEY.

Generally, I find airport staff in China to be pretty accommodating when it comes to children. They'll often proactively direct parents to the Fast Track (or Business Class/VIP/VVIP/Super extra VIP) lines at check-in and security. Not sure there's a special assistance service available for travel with a baby.

For 350 in PEY go for the first row middle section, because the armrests fold up which will give your kid plenty of space to curl up and sleep. Forget about the crib.

Wouldn't attempt such a stunt. While I suppose they'd make an exception if a baby is involved, they might not, or only at a very specific time e.g. after dinner service. Would always stay in the same cabin together.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Based on the title, I was expecting a different topic.
I was about to say the same thing, it made me LOL with accompanying weird looks here in the SQ lounge in SIN.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I was about to say the same thing, it made me LOL with accompanying weird looks here in the SQ lounge in SIN.
I was expecting some kinda statement that Marco Polo Club was now the Mile High Club.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Based on the title, I was expecting a different topic. ;
Did CX rollout something like the QR QSuites in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.