Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Using Miles to F

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Upgrade Using Miles to F

I am looking to travel from SFO to Manilla via Hong Kong (return)

I will be booking into revenue Business Class, in order to upgrade my itinerary or the Long Haul legs to F how many miles are required?

My wife has Asia Miles and the miles will be coming from her account, can I just call the US Service Center in order to upgrade?
Old May 12, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am looking to travel from SFO to Manilla via Hong Kong (return)

I will be booking into revenue Business Class, in order to upgrade my itinerary or the Long Haul legs to F how many miles are required?

My wife has Asia Miles and the miles will be coming from her account, can I just call the US Service Center in order to upgrade?
1.) Easy answer: round-trip is 85,000 Asia Miles, one-way is 50,000 Asia Miles for a "One Class Upgrade Award". But you should check the chart for more details Asia Miles Flight Awards Chart
2.) Your wife will need to add you to her Redemption List before it can be done. You might have to do this online; if I recall they charge you over the phone. Once you're on her Redemption List (5 nominees allowed), then you can call to do it.
3.) It's highly unlikely for award availability to be ready for one of the legs, and even more so for both. You'll probably need to wait-list for one or both legs and roll the dice. There is only 1 flight a day (6 seats) to/from SFO with F. The other flights don't have it.
4.) If your wife is an elite with Marco Polo then your booking will get bumped up the list.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by QRC3288
1.) Easy answer: round-trip is 85,000 Asia Miles, one-way is 50,000 Asia Miles for a "One Class Upgrade Award". But you should check the chart for more details Asia Miles Flight Awards Chart
2.) Your wife will need to add you to her Redemption List before it can be done. You might have to do this online; if I recall they charge you over the phone. Once you're on her Redemption List (5 nominees allowed), then you can call to do it.
3.) It's highly unlikely for award availability to be ready for one of the legs, and even more so for both. You'll probably need to wait-list for one or both legs and roll the dice. There is only 1 flight a day (6 seats) to/from SFO with F. The other flights don't have it.
4.) If your wife is an elite with Marco Polo then your booking will get bumped up the list.

Thank you for the info..... if I end up in J and with no F upgrade availability how does the A350 Business Product compare with the 777?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
If OP upgrades all the way to MNL then it will be 105,000 not 85,000. But I strongly suggest saving 20,000 as the HKG-MNL-HKG F sectors won't be worth it.

Agree with QRC3288 for SFO availability issues. In fact, since the SFO F-equipped flight are midnight flights both ways, I'm not sure if that will be a worthwhile experience upgrading to F (actually, I've stopped doing J-F AM upgrades completely since joining MPC/AM. Only exception being a recent 170,000 splurge to upgrade me and SO on a LAX-HKG-LAX as they could confirm 1 seat right away.)

Perhaps OP can consider LAX-HKG as there are more seats available every day with a range of timings if they can fly out of LAX! It's the same price (for miles).
Old May 13, 2018, 12:57 am

Thank you for the info..... if I end up in J and with no F upgrade availability how does the A350 Business Product compare with the 777?
mate, do a quick search around here. there are a few threads in the last 3 months about your exact flights SFO-HKG comparing A350 to B777. And a lot of other material about both.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If OP upgrades all the way to MNL then it will be 105,000 not 85,000. But I strongly suggest saving 20,000 as the HKG-MNL-HKG F sectors won't be worth it.
Well, I don't know if CX offers F on MNL anymore... And I agree that there is no reason to waste 20000 miles on getting F on that route.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Perhaps OP can consider LAX-HKG as there are more seats available every day with a range of timings if they can fly out of LAX! It's the same price (for miles).
That is a good idea, although I do not like LAX in general (like a zoo).
APeverell likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Well, I don't know if CX offers F on MNL anymore... And I agree that there is no reason to waste 20000 miles on getting F on that route.

That is a good idea, although I do not like LAX in general (like a zoo).
Best way to avoid the zoo is to fly in domestically to LAX, then take the tunnel and connecting path to TBIT, the newly decorated TBIT is a big contrast to the zoo out there!
Old May 30, 2018, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

I managed to put a reward seat from LAX to HKG with AS on Hold ...... They cant add the leg from Bay Area to LAX on an American Flight due to AS award rules (cant be two partner airlines).

I can purchase and add the American flight leg, it will however be on a separate ticket.

At SFO / SJC will i be able to check my bags all the way to Hong Kong with American? I do not want to pick up my bags at LAX and drop them back off.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I managed to put a reward seat from LAX to HKG with AS on Hold ...... They cant add the leg from Bay Area to LAX on an American Flight due to AS award rules (cant be two partner airlines).

I can purchase and add the American flight leg, it will however be on a separate ticket.

At SFO / SJC will i be able to check my bags all the way to Hong Kong with American? I do not want to pick up my bags at LAX and drop them back off.
better asked on the AA board- but no, their policy is not to through check.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:05 am

I believe the rule is "no" on the AA side. But the folks on the AA board are the ones to ask for more clarity.

If your journey started with CX then the answer would be "yes" and we can say that conclusively. But it doesn't.

Originally Posted by jagmeets

better asked on the AA board- but no, their policy is not to through check.
correct
Old May 31, 2018, 1:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Well, since I am (still) (half) an AA folk, the answer is, no OP cannot through-check and must pickup bags at LAX. No exceptions possible either because the computer won't let it.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
We’re going way OT, but for the sake of folks in similar-ish situations:
a family member had an AA award on CX and a revenue AA ticket (revenue ticket being the first segment). Despite AA having some exceptions for award/revenue tickets and despite their being references on ft re: a possibility of issuing them under one AA PNR, AA refused to issue under the same PNR, and, refused to check bags through (this at SFO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.