Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Based on my few interactions with CX acquaintences (purely casual conversation), they seemed to indicate the crew hated the greeting aspect of their job - no matter which status
Old May 16, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by triplefives
It's hard to associate op-ups and status because if the flight isn't that full, there won't be any op ups. Unless flight loads are also tracked, it would be difficult to say that GO's or SL's are getting less op ups.
Although purely anecdotal. My friend who resides in US and travels to China with AA Gold status (yes, just a lowly AA Gold), have been 2 for 2 in op-up from PEY to C class so far this year (same trip to and back). Last year on 2 trips he was 2 for 4. I find it hard to imagine there are absolutely no DM, GO, or even SL before him on a long-haul flight for him to upgrade from PEY to C on 4 for 6 possibilities. Clearly Cathay runs on the philosophy that they have already got our (Cathay FFP) loyalty and can treat us badly, but they want to grab revenue from other airlines' FFP so treat them greatly.

I have to say it is working (so maybe Cathay is on to something?) He has not fly any other airline but Cathay since. I know there was an exodus of Cathay FFP since the new program is launched, but I wonder if that has stabilized enough for Cathay to boldly push forward with the philosophy they have seemingly adapted.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Although purely anecdotal. My friend who resides in US and travels to China with AA Gold status (yes, just a lowly AA Gold), have been 2 for 2 in op-up from PEY to C class so far this year (same trip to and back). Last year on 2 trips he was 2 for 4. I find it hard to imagine there are absolutely no DM, GO, or even SL before him on a long-haul flight for him to upgrade from PEY to C on 4 for 6 possibilities. Clearly Cathay runs on the philosophy that they have already got our (Cathay FFP) loyalty and can treat us badly, but they want to grab revenue from other airlines' FFP so treat them greatly.

I have to say it is working (so maybe Cathay is on to something?) He has not fly any other airline but Cathay since. I know there was an exodus of Cathay FFP since the new program is launched, but I wonder if that has stabilized enough for Cathay to boldly push forward with the philosophy they have seemingly adapted.
This is riddled with flaws in logic, leading to the illogical conclusion that, "Clearly Cathay runs on the philosophy that they have already got our (Cathay FFP) loyalty and can treat us badly, but they want to grab revenue from other airlines' FFP so treat them greatly."

What route did your friend travel? What days of the week? What times were the flights? Were they days and times when there are likely fewer DMs, etc., because people generally don't travel as much for business on those days? Do you know for a FACT that there weren't DMs and GOs also given op-ups? Were there DMs and GOs in Y who were op-upped to PEY, and a smaller number or none in PEY on those flights? Do you know for a fact that your friend was given op-ups OVER DMs and GOs in PEY? On the flights where your friend didn't get op-ups, where the ZERO DMs and GO's upgraded operationally? Did ALL DMs and GOs on the flights fit the criteria that make it easy for operational upgrades (didn't need a special meal, weren't traveling with companions)?
Old May 16, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DMPHL
This is riddled with flaws in logic, leading to the illogical conclusion that, "Clearly Cathay runs on the philosophy that they have already got our (Cathay FFP) loyalty and can treat us badly, but they want to grab revenue from other airlines' FFP so treat them greatly."

What route did your friend travel? What days of the week? What times were the flights? Were they days and times when there are likely fewer DMs, etc., because people generally don't travel as much for business on those days? Do you know for a FACT that there weren't DMs and GOs also given op-ups? Were there DMs and GOs in Y who were op-upped to PEY, and a smaller number or none in PEY on those flights? Do you know for a fact that your friend was given op-ups OVER DMs and GOs in PEY? On the flights where your friend didn't get op-ups, where the ZERO DMs and GO's upgraded operationally? Did ALL DMs and GOs on the flights fit the criteria that make it easy for operational upgrades (didn't need a special meal, weren't traveling with companions)?
Yeah, feels more like confirmation bias.

As OWE I had zero W - J op-up in the past 2 years.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
This is my third year as GO, honestly, the greeting in the first two years was not very consistent, sometime i got it but sometime not (maybe coz there are too many DM in that flight). But this year, I tend to got more attention and services (even in J), got greeting and offered whatever I asked for, reserved for your meal choice in J, and FA addressed my surname when serving me even i was in Y, maybe they have changed their policy? or maybe this year i have flown CX more, rather than other OW airlines.

In general, I do feel they treat GO good but can be better sometime. And from my own experience, AA/ BA/ IB/ S7 they just do not care about your status, especially when you are sitting in AA Y, you are just no one but being scold by the crew, yet their j is not bad. For IB, I dont see they care about your status even if you are sitting in J.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666

This is absolute nonsense and strikes me as self-victimisation.

Unless you're absolutely sure that there were no DM/GO/SLs in PEY, I just can't understand how you arrived at the conclusion that a Ruby trumped CX elites. Believe it or not, cabins without DM/GO/SLs are not unheard of.

This isn't indicative of some "philosophy" of CX — it's just another flawed "CX doesn't make me feel special enough" rant.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I think I heard stories that on some economy-heavy routes it's very possible that "continental drift" occurs, where most PEY gets op-up to J and Y pax to PEY, that only handful in PEY was actually booked in PEY originally? There could have been many op-ups happened before Ruby on those particular flights.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: CX GO, SPG Plat
Do SL's just completely get ignored? I received greeting once on ex-SYD, I'd imagine that could be attributed to 0/1 elites
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I’ve seen GO written on the post it note recently. So I’m pretty sure it’s not the new service standard to ignore Golds.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
On my flights last week, I was greeted twice on each flight. Once while on the ground and then after the meal service. The 2nd greeting, by same person, was more of a "how was everything? If you need anything..." kinda greeting. My immediate seatmate neighbors didn't get the same greetings.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:59 am

I can’t be bothered with mpc status anymore

I’ve been Gold for the past 6-7 years. This year, I started redeeming my points and flying cheaper rather than pursue mpc points . Eg. Business class from hkg to Mel with Thai is Hkd 15k whereas PEY via CX is HKD 16-17k. It just didn’t make sense anymore. Only one op-up this year probably because their flights are no longer full even during the peak seasons.
will be dropping from gold straight down to green but I figured I’m better off buying cheaper biz class fares from other airlines rather than PEY in the hope of getting an op-up. So why don’t I buy Cx J from hkg to MEL? Check the prices for yourself and you will see why.. lol
kaka and royng like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by Sydflyerr
Do SL's just completely get ignored? I received greeting once on ex-SYD, I'd imagine that could be attributed to 0/1 elites
In the past year when I was SL I was never greeted, regardless of loading. And I don't mind at all.

Today I am flying as GO the first time on CX. Let's see.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Babywine
I figured I’m better off buying cheaper biz class fares from other airlines rather than PEY in the hope of getting an op-up.
I was foolishly paying a premium for their C class travels all these years to retain DM. I should send them a thank you card for revamping their FFP for me to give up. Now I'm spending 1/3 of what I used to spend with Cathay, and I have found other airlines C class seats are better if not the same as Cathay, especially better C class food. The only thing I do missed is Cathay's IFE, but other airlines are catching up in this regard too.

I saw an airline ranking that Cathay is not even in the top ten. Wow, just wow.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by watery
I think I heard stories that on some economy-heavy routes it's very possible that "continental drift" occurs, where most PEY gets op-up to J and Y pax to PEY, that only handful in PEY was actually booked in PEY originally? There could have been many op-ups happened before Ruby on those particular flights.
I recently did a couple JFK-HKG PE RT's, midweek, and the load was so light, they didn't even cordone off Gate 4 at HKG as they usually do. The additional screening was first the agents going around to everyone at their seats at the gate and then in line for the boarding groups. Obviously, no UPG's as only one of my PE flights had anything near a full cabin in either Y or PE.

And, as an AA EXP so OWE, I want to add that the additional greeting on board with a bottle of water is nice, but I miss the confetti and streamers.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@rbaa sorry to say but bottle of water in PE is for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.