Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 7:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DMPHL

For example, I imagine most HKG-originating passengers are MPC members. But on the 4 JFK flights, the 3-4 LAX flights, the BOS and ORD flights, the 2 SFO flights, etc., all markets with very high fares, especially in F and J, I imagine a significant percentage of those flyers are AA CKs or EXPs or PLTs, and for whom sticking with AAdvantage makes sense because the program is better for people who live in the US (not to mention partner redemption rates, which I know is its own controversy here!). I also wonder if the same might be true for passengers originating in LHR or LGW, or SYD/MEL/PER/ADL.

So you've got OWEs originating all around the world, whose own home FF schemes are the best for them, and who are spending a lot of money on CX. I may be totally wrong, but I'd be curious to know!
This articulates why I've said that CX needs oneworld more than oneworld needs CX.
DMPHL and ckx2 like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DMPHL
W/r/t the DM/OWE benefits and recognition...I do think it would be fair for CX to add some perks for its DM members above those offered to other OWEs. But I also wonder, beyond the DMs-are-hub-captives-so-therefore-we-don't-need-to-work-that-hard-for-their-loyalty justification, if it's merely that other OWEs contribute revenue to CX at levels significant enough to warrant the level of attention they get. Not individuals (I certainly don't), but as a whole.

For example, I imagine most HKG-originating passengers are MPC members. But on the 4 JFK flights, the 3-4 LAX flights, the BOS and ORD flights, the 2 SFO flights, etc., all markets with very high fares, especially in F and J, I imagine a significant percentage of those flyers are AA CKs or EXPs or PLTs, and for whom sticking with AAdvantage makes sense because the program is better for people who live in the US (not to mention partner redemption rates, which I know is its own controversy here!). I also wonder if the same might be true for passengers originating in LHR or LGW, or SYD/MEL/PER/ADL.

So you've got OWEs originating all around the world, whose own home FF schemes are the best for them, and who are spending a lot of money on CX. I may be totally wrong, but I'd be curious to know!
Originally Posted by sxc
This articulates why I've said that CX needs oneworld more than oneworld needs CX.
sxc is exactly right. Don't want to spend another 30 mins typing a long article to a comparison above; my point is FFP is like girlfriend/SO - there is not a best or a scam, but the best fitted.

On my last EWR - HKG flight, which I was told had poor load and elite-light, 70% of the J sheet shows either DM (about 3) or EM with the captain saying "We have a lot of frequent flyers today but...".
Old May 10, 2018, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
sxc is exactly right. Don't want to spend another 30 mins typing a long article to a comparison above; my point is FFP is like girlfriend/SO - there is not a best or a scam, but the best fitted.

On my last EWR - HKG flight, which I was told had poor load and elite-light, 70% of the J sheet shows either DM (about 3) or EM with the captain saying "We have a lot of frequent flyers today but...".
but please pay attention to the safety video, or some sort of that?
Old May 11, 2018, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by kaka
but please pay attention to the safety video, or some sort of that?
You got it...(since it's 359 not 77W)
Old May 11, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
our favorite 'arrow'
What is that?
Old May 11, 2018, 2:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What is that?
Upgrade.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Upgrade.
Oh, so is that the designation for those who received an op-up?
andersonCooper likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
There was one time I was both DM and EXP, and then was downgraded to GO and EXP, and then came back up to DM one year later. During the time, I've flown as DM, EXP, and GO. Not really felt too much difference between EXP and GO except for the ISM greetings. But as DM, I did, and still do feel the difference onboard. Everytime I put in a request they'd try what they can to fulfill the requests. I have been very appreciative with that!
kaka likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Oh, so is that the designation for those who received an op-up?
Yes.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by prw555
Totally agree. 1200 CP's for DM = 7 RT in J, SFO-HKG for 180 points each. Thats 7 * $6k = $42k, pushing CK (add $10k) spend.
If DM is your goal, you could do a lot better then that......

Do SFO-HKG-BKK in J return, your ticket will be (3+ months out) around USD 800 cheaper and you collect 240 MPC points. Which will bring you GO->DM in 5 returns. The BKK-HKG return can be on a LCC and still a lot cheaper then your CX savings of USD 800 per return, for example: USD 300. Your benefit: USD 500 per trip. Extra time spent around 8 hours per trip.

Savings: 2x$6K + $2K = USD$ 14K. Time spent: 40 hours. There aren't many people who earn $14K in 40 hours largely relaxing (or, if you are lucky, being able to be productive AND being payed an hourly rate).

If you "enhance" the previous example and spent a little more on the BKK-HKG return and fly CX, you get 60 MPC points per return extra, which brings you 300 points per SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG, or 4 returns in I/D class for the upgrade GO->DM.
Savings 3x$6K + $600 = USD$ 18K6. Time spent: 32 hours. Again, not many people earn, etc.

And another option would be to do SFO-AMS-HKG-BKK-HKG, which might bring you GO->DM in 3 trips, though maybe at a somewhat lower savings factor (if any). AMS-HKG-BKK returns are dirt cheap, so to say, from around USD 2200.

Originally Posted by prw555
But, if starting at green, 300 reset, 600, reset, then 1200 for DM = 2100 CP's which equals 12 RT's in J SFO-HKG = $72K !
The reset is not so much of a killer, but the simple fact, you need to wait out the whole running year, before you get "upgraded" (or at least that is my understanding of the process, never looked into that, because it's not relevant for me).

Some 25 years ago, I went from KLM Flying Blue to Platinum in less then 6 months, simply, because you get the next level granted, right away, when you collect(ed) the points (or miles, maybe in those days, I don't remember, I neither know, if it still applies). When the blue goodies dropped on the doormat, I already attained silver in their systems. The same for the subsequent levels. Oh, it required commuting for work on a daily basis, to accomplish that
Old May 11, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
The reset is not so much of a killer, but the simple fact, you need to wait out the whole running year, before you get "upgraded" (or at least that is my understanding of the process, never looked into that, because it's not relevant for me).
Can you please look into that first before commiting to a statement?
Old May 11, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by kaka

Can you please look into that first before commiting to a statement?
Maybe, though how would you want to reach as a GO, 1200 points for DM in a year, if your accumulated 600 points for GO within 6 months would reconfirm your GO for another year ?
Old May 11, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by APeverell
There was one time I was both DM and EXP, and then was downgraded to GO and EXP, and then came back up to DM one year later. During the time, I've flown as DM, EXP, and GO. Not really felt too much difference between EXP and GO except for the ISM greetings. But as DM, I did, and still do feel the difference onboard. Everytime I put in a request they'd try what they can to fulfill the requests. I have been very appreciative with that!
Honestly that's my impression as well. I have been sitting next to DM a lot of times, and it really depends on the specific ISM/FA. I am not paying double the amount just to "feel exclusive" because of an extra bottle of water or "call me by my name" sort of treatments. IMO CX services are so consistent that I can't really pick an awful one out of my memory.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
Maybe, though how would you want to reach as a GO, 1200 points for DM in a year, if your accumulated 600 points for GO within 6 months would reconfirm your GO for another year ?
If you earn enough points for the next level, you will be upgraded and your membership year will reset. Your membership year is not fixed. It changes every time you are upgraded to another tier. If you are already GO and earns between 600 and 1195 points (well, let's not talk about whether CX will make an exception for 1195 points), you get GO renewed for another year.
kaka likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
Anyway... I don't see they care about DM much more nowadays.... Just flew some DM heavy routes round-trip recently (HKG-PEK/PVG/SIN)… No matter I was in J or in Y the only "extra care" I had was the 5 second ISM greeting...

No water (not saying the DM water, not even a Bon****, i.e. simply same as a normal passenger), no meal reservation (so no eat first as well)...
The water bottle is part of the ISM greeting because he or she will always ask you if there is anything you would like right now. If you would like the water at that moment, they will bring it.

I once mentioned I will wait til we are cruising because it is black coffee I will want. Lo and behold they brewed one while we were still at the gate and brought it out pre-takeoff.

They did seem to stop proactively bringing a bottle of Evian around so its up to the pax to request wen invited to do so during the greeting.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.