Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 9:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
That's a fair point, but things are fundamentally different with CX MPC.

1) It's way easier to attain AA EXP than it does to CX DM (~50% spending difference), so it makes sense to eliminate general access to AA lounges;
Just to nit-pick, this is not the reason why AA status members don't get domestic lounge access. It's because AA has a profitable (?) club membership scheme.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
Just to nit-pick, this is not the reason why AA status members don't get domestic lounge access. It's because AA has a profitable (?) club membership scheme.
If I were AA, I would try to make the airline more profitable rather than have a profitable club membership.

AA EXPs have plenty of bonus miles while CX DMs don't. My view is that AA gives her members a choice of using 50-85K of their 120K+ bonus miles on AC memberships.
kaka likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've been GO for 2 years but only fly LH NYC-HKG. I book PEY and do a lot of upgrades to J, occasionally book J (I) when there's a big sale. I almost always get ISM or SP greeting. Very frequently I am asked to reserve meal choice in J and get served before non status pax. I don't really care about the attention, but it is nice.

For the last year I've been doing redemption upgrades, but before that I was getting a lot of op-ups, of course dependent on overbooked PEY. My year is up in November, if I stay on track I should be just short of DM with 1135 CP. I'm planing on asking for an extension and hope they just bump me up. After that, I may consider switching to AA and see if I can reach EX PLT over the year. I don't know if I can sustain the pace needed to reach DM, but GO has been very good for me.
kaka likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: LH HON
CX does a good job with OWE in general, that's why I choose to add up their revenue in return. Add The Pier F in HKG and it makes the perfect trip. Otherwise I could also fly QR or MH to Europe (or even BA F).
kaka likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Firemin
As a data point I have noticed that since switching crediting flights from BAEC (where I am Gold/Emerald) to MPC (where I am Gold/Sapphire) about two months ago, the 'cabin crew greeting' no longer occurs on every flight. I assume this is mainly down to numbers (e.g. flights with loads of Golds/Sapphires they probably only have time to greet the Sapphires).

I also haven't had a single op'up since switching to MPC, whereas the rate was about 30% when I had my BAEC number in the booking.

Doesn't really bother me to be honest, the whole greeting thing gets a bit grating after a while (as I am normally already watching something on the IFE), although it is nice when flying Y when they bring you a pre-departure Cathay Delight!

However, in contrast I have never had a single op'up or cabin crew greeting with BA!
Never been above CXSL, but I switched early.
For the last few years, I've been between OWS and OWE of JAL flying CX a bit (hard to avoid being in HKG). Service as OWS since late 2015 is a notch down as compared to say, 2013-14 unless you have a good team - i dont mean the full "order early and ISM greeting ordeal" but in the past OWS usually get the water (or if you buy lots of duty free), and lately they always say "We dont give water to Sapphires"). It does actually feel like CXSL where you're nobody... but even CX GO sometimes gets treated as such so there's not much i can complain about re preferential treatment.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:24 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
For the seat chart I have seen crews write up to AM (Asiamiles) on the corner...so I doubt this is the policy.
maybe the elite-load was so poor that they felt like they needed to? I really dont understand why they would though. Or to approach them for in-flight purchases or to sign up to MPC?
Old May 10, 2018, 2:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Water is for DM/DMP only, no one else, not EMER. In fact, I think it might even be a valid complaint if an FP was reported for giving out water to anyone else (including OWE).

According to my cabin crew friends, it was officially clarified in their weekly newsletter one or two years ago that partner elites should not be treated the same. Of course once on the plane, they dare not challenge their seniors so it still happens.

Originally Posted by mxr
maybe the elite-load was so poor that they felt like they needed to? I really dont understand why they would though. Or to approach them for in-flight purchases or to sign up to MPC?
More likely an ignorant FP - since the manifest/ipad records down to AM, one who might not be able to distinguish between EM/SA/SL/RU/GR/AM etc might just copy everything down and let the SP to decide how much extra attention to give for these. There are also other markings like ID, our favorite 'arrow', etc...

The only thing(s) on the chart they are 100% aware of, or have been brainwashed enough to be aware of, is 'DM', and to a lesser extent GO. That's about it.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: LH HON
If water is for DM/DMP only, then they have happily mistreated me for the past years.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Maybe this is already a known fact, but just had some very good conservation with flight crew (won't say which route in case some Cathay management are lurking here). I made the comment that I've noticed on their paper that they tape on the galley, in the old days I remembered they write down every elite member: DM/GO and their respective seat number. But on the last few flights, I've noticed it's only DM and EMD (don't remember seeing OW EMD being highlighted before). They've confirmed with me that the old training routine is to treat DM/GO well, but the new standard is to pamper DM and EMD, but ignore the GO.

Another reason if you can't make DM with Cathay, there's no point trying.
My experience of today in payed J was different. The GO's (DM's ?) around me got acknowledged (I did hear it happening in the main cabin).
Not to say, the passenger seating overview on the food carts did have some GO's listed (as far as I could see), it was manually written on the overview.

My name did not have the GO, because I forgot to enter the MPC number in my booking.

But, my name did have another scribble on that paper, something like a "W" and separately "Co...". No idea what it stands for, though I was treated very well, got everything I asked for, treatment was much more at the personal interaction level then with other recent flights with my GO known to the crew. And I gave them another written heads-up recommendation towards CX, which they really seem appreciate. I did not have the feeling, I missed anything, due to the missing Go-status.

Looks to me, the GO/DM status does trigger an obligatory act, without further meaning, whereas interaction with the crew at a more personal level, makes life on board easy, so to say.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ckx2
If water is for DM/DMP only, then they have happily mistreated me for the past years.
Me too.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by sxc
Me too.
let me join the club. i had water as OWE
Old May 10, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ckx2
Originally Posted by fakecd
let me join the club. i had water as OWE
Joining the club as well, when could AA be so consistent (other than hacking credit card applications)?

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 10, 2018 at 5:08 am Reason: grammar
Old May 10, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Being a GO for 2 years and I only received greetings from SP and nothing else

And when flying PEK route, I think I have never been greeted even in paid J (well consider they usually carry a plastic bag to distribute water to DM on this route, I really don't expect anything lol)
Old May 10, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sxc
And also that if AA allowed in their own Emeralds and Sapphires, the clubs would be overrun and unusable. You think the Pier F is crowded? Imagine an Admirals Club in Philadelphia or Miami if ExecPlats and Plats could use it on every itinerary.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Water is for DM/DMP only, no one else, not EMER. In fact, I think it might even be a valid complaint if an FP was reported for giving out water to anyone else (including OWE).

According to my cabin crew friends, it was officially clarified in their weekly newsletter one or two years ago that partner elites should not be treated the same. Of course once on the plane, they dare not challenge their seniors so it still happens.
Well, on my last JFK-HKG and HKG-AKL round-trips last November, as an AA OWE in PE, I was greeted personally by the ISM, who said I should let her know if I needed anything. And then they gave me bottles of water, made sure that I got to pre-order my meal, etc. All this to say, it doesn't seem like it's just that junior FAs carrying it out because they are scared to challenge authority. Seems like the authority themselves never got the memo.

And sure, if what you say is true, it may be not according to the rules. But someone has to be pretty damn entitled and personally insecure to lodge a complaint against a FA when they get the benefits they've earned, ONLY because someone else got treated just as well as they did. They've got massively bigger problems than ensuring a DM greeting and a bottle of water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.