Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Very bad customer service in this airline !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very bad customer service in this airline !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by jhmili
Hi every body.

See you later.
(thank god)

BYE!
kaka likes this.

Last edited by nightkhan; Jun 21, 2018 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sometimes it's better to stop banging on about something, especially when everyone around you is telling you to give up. Airlines don't control weather and sometimes you have to accept a few hardships. That your friend was not very experienced didn't help and is unfortunate, but maybe there is a valuable lesson learned.

If by justice you mean you're hiring a lawyer, then I can pretty much promise you that he is the only one to see any money! And European airlines don't hand out vouchers or freebies when there is bad weather.
Again - and again - OP's issue was not weather related. Instead - per OP's own word, it was due to de-icing delay.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
oh boy...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flyng Blue, AAdvantage, Eurobonus, Miles and more
Yes kaka.!
Some people wins in justice and have cash compensations from non european airline companies.
Instead to be chauvinist, just read some posts below (they indicate that some German passengers have been successful in the delay due to de-icing.)
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes kaka.!
Some people wins in justice and have cash compensations from non european airline companies.
Instead to be chauvinist, just read some posts below (they indicate that some German passengers have been successful in the delay due to de-icing.)
Well, if you're going down the justice will triumph in the end path, please don't accept NDAs, fight CX to the bitter end and report back here for the benefit of other similarly affected passengers.

Good luck!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by percysmith
Well, if you're going down the justice will triumph in the end path, please don't accept NDAs, fight CX to the bitter end and report back here for the benefit of other similarly affected passengers.

Good luck!
Companies usually will not impose confidentiality clause on small cases.

I doubt CX is going to ask for one if decides to settle.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Yes kaka.!
its actually all over flyertalk. i dont get why people decide to think otherwise. situations may not be the same, but in the general case of things, it had happened.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:26 pm

CX654 1 Oct and another dissatisfied parent

Originally Posted by Adam Digges
Horrible experience. Booked a flight at appropriate time for 2 infants to return to HK. Flight delivered (happens I guess). 1hr before delayed take off time, we are notified of additional 2 hour delay on top to existing delay. The reason being that it was delayed leaving HK. Despite this being a 2.5hr flight, meaning they would have know about the further delay for some time, they only notify 1 hour ahead meaning we are stuck at airport sitting on floor rather than staying longer at hotel. Meantime other flights to HK are leaving on time between our original flight time and delayed take off time. But they can’t transfer those passengers or find room for us.

I ask for lounge passes so we can at least sit somewhere comfortable given the extensive delay and tried children. They refuse.

Shocking customer service. Won’t fly again.

https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...73177146159317
Subsequent discussion on the complaint between me and Digges:

Me 1 Oct 19:42: CX654 by any chance? Still not departed

Me 2 Oct 3:01: OK. I'm now home and checking the arrivals into HK today, I'm 80% certain you're describing CX654 1 Oct. I think I even know where you sit, because I was in row 73 and I saw someone like you with family in the row 60 bassinet seats.

The inbound flight was CX653. CX653 was originally meant to depart at 12:00pm HK Time and get to Bangkok at 1:55pm Bangkok Time.

At 11:00am HK Time I received the first SMS from CX saying the flight will be postponed from 2:55pm to 4:05pm Bangkok Time. I delayed my departure to airport so that I arrive at around 2pm local time, no later.

This is because even though our flight is delayed, it does not mean we are entitled to arrive 40 minutes of revised departure time. Ground staff (check-in agents) may be contracted out and in any case are supposed to be on station only 3 hours-40 minutes before scheduled departure time. There is no contractual obligation on CX's part to keep them in place in case of delay.
(Also airlines like us to wait for them rather than them wait for us in any case, something my wife also was unhappy about similar to you).

I have multiple apps tracking CX653. Even on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 2pm I knew CX653 has not yet departed and we are looking at at a 6pm departure time.

Me 2 Oct 2:52: Let me address some of your other points:

"other flights to HK are leaving on time between our original flight time and delayed take off time" - generally in case of delay, the passengers ticketed on the later flights get first priority to fly on those flights. Only if there are seats left over will delayed passengers be accomodated. This is Standard Operating Practice regardless of mechanical delay, snowstorm (e.g. Sapporo two Christmases ago) or typhoon (Typhoon Mangkhut).

"But they can’t transfer those passengers" I can't comment whether this is always fair but passengers ticketed on the later flights get first priority to fly on those flights rule is predictable for customers and staff concerned (if you're flying after a typhoon do you have to expect to be bumped to accomodate a customer who has been weather delayed for a day, even though your own flight is operating perfectly normally?)

"or find room for us" I changed flights to CX654 1 Oct on Saturday. At the time I changed (I have been waitlisting from an earlier flight) everything after 12pm was sold out, even in full-fare Business and Economy. There was no other seat to give you - lots of salary earners were keen to maximise their holidays and get back to work tomorrow.

"I ask for lounge passes so we can at least sit somewhere comfortable given the extensive delay and tried children" this has been a common complaint of parents (Google "CX660-CX163 25Aug misconnect complaint and my comments thereon"). However I know the counter-argument posed by non-parents is that they pay premium fares to avoid overcrowding in the airport/on planes and those who want to join them should pay for it. This lot probably also believe crying babies shouldn't be allowed in premium cabins too. Airlines probably aren't so extreme, but certainly they subscribe to if you want it you pay for it principle.

Digges 2 Oct 7:02: Percy I’m pretty sure you’re a paid cathay employee judging by these unsolicited and very cathay friendly comments so let’s leave this to the formal channels

Me 2 Oct 7:19: okay good luck getting anything from the cut and paste brigade. I hope you are true to your word about not taking Cathay again.

---

The 7:02 response made me think of Varun Gupta again https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...s-thereon.html

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 8, 2018 at 5:42 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
That's very helpful to get informed of the situation from a FF's point of view, but that's perhaps too much information (against) for a less-frequent traveller who needs time to get on with the feelings.

In case I feel like to reply similar things especially outside of this forum, I would've just said like "Seems we're stuck on the same flight, I tried to ask for an earlier flight but they were all full, Oct 1 is peak. But from my experience it'd be better for everyone if CX prioritizes originally booked passengers, especially if you were the originally booked. They don't normally give lounge access though, did you ask for meal voucher instead?" Don't know if it sounds more cathay friendly though. Because true formal words will never get into the detailed level of yours
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:05 pm

I could be less verbose but it was 3 in the morning. I was more concerned about not forgetting anything that day - originally I even had the details of the aircraft switch from B-HLD to B-LBK too.

Your proposed response addressed the easier gripes to dismiss.

The more complicated gripe is why didn't CX warn him of ongoing delay when they knew it. So he can keep his children in hotel, presumably in a late checkout.

I empathise with that part because I knew the flight was delayed. My wife complained we had time for a spa or another mall.

I refused to let her act on it and departed to the airport at the 85-minute mark (1:30pm) because we could be refused check in - check in runs on scheduled departure (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...l-airport.html and reinforced by https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ckin-late.html and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...plaint-ka.html) not updated departure.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:08 pm

Lounge access vs. meal voucher: a snack box was provided on boarding. In addition to a regular meal in-flight.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 2, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by watery
I tried to ask for an earlier flight but they were all full, Oct 1 is peak. But from my experience it'd be better for everyone if CX prioritizes originally booked passengers, especially if you were the originally booked.

They don't normally give lounge access though, did you ask for meal voucher instead?"
Digges wasn't looking for food but for space to accomodate his infants. At least one other poster on the Facebook thread has expressed support.

But I forgot to highlight how packed BKK lounge is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27263247-post132.html (I have not managed a BKK J redemption for two years).

I wonder what would've happened if I reminded him though, using your less information approach:

"CX lounge Bangkok is known to be full. Paying passengers will be upset if they have to share the space with delay-ers"

I will be accused of being Rupert Hogg incarnate...

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:05 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:41 am

If one wants lounge access, one ought to buy a premium ticket (or lounge membership, or so forth). Travelling with children is the passenger's choice, if things go wrong I do not see that they deserve any special treatment on that account. Noone much likes delays, but you just have to suck it up or else stay at home.
Personally I would be happy to see young children and babies barred from lounges, or ideally limited to one area where their parent or a carer could keep an eye on them. If I was in the Bkk lounge and a stream of passengers without lounge access were allowed in with their tired children, I would be unhappy at the airline.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:39 am

Is not being allowed to waitlist a full flight a complaint?

Originally Posted by Agnes Shum
I booked a round trip business class trip from Hong Kong to Shanghai From Nov 27-Nov 29 , however my return trip flight for business class was on waitlist for KA 891. I arrived at the airport early, hoping to be able to catch an earlier flight back to Hong Kong. However, Cathay Pacific's ground staff said that the whole flight was full. Since I am only a Silver member, they would not allow me to waitlist for the earlier flight because there were 8 gold members in front of me. When I asked if I could be waitlisted for the business class of the earlier flight, I was being told that there is no chance because of my Asia miles membership tier, the only flight available for me was KA 891 economy class. This is very unjustifiable because I paid for a round trip return business class fare and was only downgraded to economy class because the business class was full.

https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...22470124563352
[the rest is about a check-in allowance fumble by gate agent, plus complaints about the meal and the seat which KA probably deserved. But I'm going on the first part here]

Originally Posted by Agnes Shum
(later at 9pm)
Neo Fung The ticket was confirmed all along. Not sure where Percy got the idea that it is not confirmed. My ticket was business class fare and I was on business class from HK to SHA leg. For my return journey, it is confirmed on economy class and I am on waitlist on business class because it was full when I booked the ticket. However, I was charged the full business class fare for both legs.
Me: If you insist on flying Business you can get confirmed on a less busy flight like Tuesday morning.

Shum: Obviously this is not the only complaint I have here, no point trying to explain a clearly outrageous situation. Moreover, I paid 9,000 HKD and in return I was only on economy class back and wasn’t allowed to be on waitlist for economy/ business class for the earlier flight. I am not sure how anyone can justify that.

Me: Of course they can justify. If the flight before (CX369/KA5369) has 317 seats, and 317 passengers have either airport checked-in or online checked-in, should they let you waitlist?
CX/KA at PRC airports (PVG) will try to let passengers leave on earlier flights if they arrive early, just in case Air Flow Control causes delays on later flights.

Shum: Of course in case there is no show, just as all other airlines would.

Me; Did you check for other Golds and Diamonds who've also arrived in the airport (waiting in the lounge) who are also waiting for the earlier flight? I think that's what the check in agent is trying to say when he mentioned your tier.

[personal comments and responses thereon left out. ]

Shum: So far you have wasted a lot of energy justifying the waitlisting part and failed to address the cabin bag weight limit part of the problem. P.S. Cathay phoned me the day after this post for their staffs’ mis-behaviour on both problems’s front and recognised that their service WAS failing indeed and offered compensation.

Me: Jesus. Either a) .....ing wins or b) CX/KA thinks that giving customers false hope is acceptable.

Shum: or third case scenario, their service WAS failing indeed and customer should be compensated

Me: for what? Being frank? Unless CX admitted they should have let you on the earlier flight had the ground agent not been callous.

Shum: Actually yes thats what they said, their ground staff has told me the wrong information and I should have been on the waitlist for both economy class and biz class for the earlier flight because I did pay for the full business class fare. They also apologized for their ground staff who did not check my ticket and not allowing me to bring my 9kg carry on bag on flight

Me: You misread. I asked if they admitted you should have been rebooked on the earlier flight.

Shum: I think YOU misread, my whole complaint was why I could not even get on the wait list, not ON the flight itself.

Me: So you're complaining about a non-event here.

Shum: my complaint was about not being allowed to be on the waitlist , and again to emphasise (just like I did 10 times above) the cabin bag weight limit and the poor services provided by Cathay Pacific all around

---

I don't know the proper adjectives to describe what she thinks of herself. Or is it just an acronym?
I don't have the flight before KA891 (CX369) load, so I was relying on her to tell me if CX admitted there was a seat on that flight for her. She said no.

Just a few technical questions when writing this post (and on reading another CX FB post)
1) A revenue pax is allowed to rebook from a KA metal to a KA codeshare (on routes served by both CX and KA like PEK/PVG/HND) , and v.v.?
(I'm wondering is CX369 really the last flight before KA891); and
2) (Another CX FB post) if you're booked on a CX/KA codeshare, can you upgrade that codeshare with AM?

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Gosh CX is so bad. They let a Silver pull. DYKWIA.

The Facebook post was nothing but spitting hostility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.