Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bart simpson
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1718701-cx-considering-confirmed-having-10-seats-per-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
There is so much nonsensical noise that is being made on the 10 abreast that it is death defying of some individuals bias and opinions.
Simply incredible reading some of the comments on this topic.

Let's start with EK, BR, NZ, AF and all the other carriers that have 10 abreast seating for their 777 fleet.
If CX 10 abreast is making your life complicated, fly other carriers.

I have flown on the new CX Y class with 10 abreast seats and I think its comfortable.

Happy travelling
Old May 23, 2019, 8:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Let's start with EK, BR, NZ, AF and all the other carriers that have 10 abreast seating for their 777 fleet.
Just because your friends jump off the bridge...

Slot hogging
Old May 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by jckl
.... What I do is, I get a G&T before meal, 2 glasses of wine with meal, cognac + baileys after, that will knock me right out........
Aha, no wonder you have no complaints, you let other people deal with your overflow .....

Having several memories with Ryanairs' seating in a 737 (in my opinion the worst Y passenger seating experience ever), I can not imagine, people are prepared to trade-in the comfort of a wider seat against only a few quid savings.

The ME3 are "saved" by their "break the trip in the middle" principle. So Y passengers get out after a couple of hours and in the meantime are drunk, sitting in front of a huge screen (how long would that be a novelty ?) and then are happy to get out. CX (and other non-ME) can't do that for their LH flights, which might explain why the cramped seating is accepted by ME3 passengers.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
If CX 10 abreast is making your life complicated, fly other carriers
Happy travelling
i do speak with my money and direct my business to non CX...
10 abrest is a mistake and simpky wrong. problem is world has too much newly minted plebs that just made a cut to be able to travel internationally... and these are cheapest to deliver clientale.... I wonder when next recession hits if these plebs are still travelling and the segment that CAN afford the discretionary spending will stick to CX sardine can
Old May 24, 2019, 5:03 am

There is so much nonsensical noise that is being made on the 10 abreast that it is death defying of some individuals bias and opinions.

I have flown on the new CX Y class with 10 abreast seats and I think its comfortable.

Happy travelling
CX WAS that “other carrier” I would choose even though it was oftentimes more expensive. It’s great you think it’s comfortable, but don’t call it nonsensical if others simply disagree.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Just got off 734 and overhead compartments were chucked to the gills. It didn’t help that everyone had at least a bag of cake from SIN. Bags were rammed into the J boxes as well.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
i do speak with my money and direct my business to non CX...
That would quite a challenge. World-wide there are 1 or 2 carriers left, which still do 9 abrest. CX was one of the diehards to try to stick to 9 abreast, though finally had to give in.

Originally Posted by fakecd
10 abrest is a mistake and simpky wrong. problem is world has too much newly minted plebs that just made a cut to be able to travel internationally... and these are cheapest to deliver clientale.... I wonder when next recession hits if these plebs are still travelling and the segment that CAN afford the discretionary spending will stick to CX sardine can
Yes, yes, yes, though unfortunately, the reality is different. Where until recently, the airlines could "advertise" with seat pitch, this has nowadays silently become "minimal". The next option to increase profits would be the "unknown to the one time a year flyer, plebs, as you call them", number of seats in a row. EK managed to become popular, despite this 10-abreast in the 777. Since EK is largely known for the A380, where this issue is non-existing, most people aren't aware of the narrow seats at EK.

Maybe, you do have to realize, running an airline is an extremely marginal business. Many, if not most, airline business models fail [hard] and even the ME3 ones are starting to fail. And to be honest, those offering a better proposition, being it Y or J or even F, seem to forget, to qualify the hard facts and attract customers with that.

EK is one of the very few, which manages to properly communicate the "your life at the airport and on board" with facts that are attractive for customers. Most airlines fall into the "general" "feeling well" aspects, etc. Those airlines, which are profitable, do have a large network.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
Aha, no wonder you have no complaints, you let other people deal with your overflow .....
Yeah https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27290181-post11.html

Having several memories with Ryanairs' seating in a 737 (in my opinion the worst Y passenger seating experience ever), I can not imagine, people are prepared to trade-in the comfort of a wider seat against only a few quid savings.
Ryanair 737 Y still wider than 777 3-4-3 https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e805438b3b.png

The ME3 are "saved" by their "break the trip in the middle" principle. So Y passengers get out after a couple of hours and in the meantime are drunk, sitting in front of a huge screen (how long would that be a novelty ?) and then are happy to get out. CX (and other non-ME) can't do that for their LH flights, which might explain why the cramped seating is accepted by ME3 passengers.
No, we still complain for short haul.

Maybe if you're taking ME3 in the back, your price is better. Competition.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Morbid.

Ryanair 737 Y still wider than 777 3-4-3 https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e805438b3b.png
Shocking, might be wrong. Ryanair having better seating then CX, can't be right

No, we still complain for short haul.
Yep, but when the price is right, complaints are only spoken out, especially on the Interweb, though the wallet rules again. Especially, when the hard facts are unknown for the majority of novice customers.

Maybe if you're taking ME3 in the back, your price is better. Competition.
Never done so, only did read about the magnificent EK screens and the praised low pricing. I am not a person to be bribed by secondary items.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Just got off 734 and overhead compartments were chucked to the gills. It didn’t help that everyone had at least a bag of cake from SIN. Bags were rammed into the J boxes as well.
Blame Jewel......

(Audio)
Old May 24, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Pandan cake from SG is the new mandatory gift for friends, relatives, department and company in HK.

Long live spicy salted duck egg chips.

Cakes are compressible to make room for more bags
Old May 25, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Pandan cake from SG is the new mandatory gift for friends, relatives, department and company in HK.

Long live spicy salted duck egg chips.

Cakes are compressible to make room for more bags
Overheads from KIX are argurably worse with the duty-free sourvenirs.

10-abreast is like political developments in HK "love it or leave".
It only matters when planes are full i.e. peak seasons
And competition is the only thing we can do to push back at them.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Happy travelling
I did fly EK on a 777 and didn't realise it was 10 abreast. That's when I swore I never would fly it again. It was so uncomfortable for the 14 hours I had to endure on it. Hence when I found Cathay a few years ago I was happy - until this development. Now I +route my trips on the A350 as far as possible.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Doing UK to Australia, I never got used to the stop in Dubai on EK or QF. It felt the timings were very wrong. HKG, Singapore, Tokyo and Bangkok are my preferred stop over points. They work better with the night/day breaks. I've had less jet lag from those stops than in the ME.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
Originally Posted by dddc
Doing UK to Australia, I never got used to the stop in Dubai on EK or QF. It felt the timings were very wrong. HKG, Singapore, Tokyo and Bangkok are my preferred stop over points. They work better with the night/day breaks. I've had less jet lag from those stops than in the ME.
I feel exactly the same going from Australia to Europe - we much prefer Singapore or Hong Kong as stop over points, and often we'll stay one or two nights there.

We most often go to Europe in July/August, and at this time of the year the furnace like conditions in the Middle East are another strong point in favour of avoiding this region altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.