Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Old May 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bart simpson
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1718701-cx-considering-confirmed-having-10-seats-per-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Kachjc
then fact that AC could sustain a daily flight when CX provided a vastly superior product at competitive prices is what justifies CX's decision, why give comfort when your customer prefers being squeezed and does not reward you.
Unfortunately, that's very true. I understand that CX is facing a tough time but it sad to see them join the race to the bottom.
fairhsa, royng and HarbourGent like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: CX Gold
More unfortunately, passengers are willing to sacrifice comfort for a lower fare.
royng and MilesLove like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by boybi
More unfortunately, MOST passengers are willing to sacrifice comfort for a lower fare.
Insertion of the word most is mine. I don't. After learning the hard way on an EK 10 abreast 777, I actively look not to fly them. Booked my next CX flights on A350s all from the UK to Oz and back to avoid the B777.

I really think it's an education process. Most passengers aren't aware like us here on FT about things like seat widths and leg room. (Thankfully for us! ) The airlines know they can push people to a certain point. Some of us will pop and opt for PY, others move to other airlines or simply don't fly. My last 3 big holidays involved rail travel and cruises. Also those of us old enough to remember the "golden age of flying" or even the end of it, are dying off. Low cost carriers are the new norm that the world is growing up with, but there is a limit even they will endure I'm sure.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I flew on PEY four days ago on CX257. When I popped to use the loo behind PEY, I was surprised to see the new seats. Flight was near full, but there were empty bulkhead seats right near the lavatories.

The lavatory had an excessive wait (one lady occupied it for 20 minutes!!) so I took upon the chance to try the seat by the bulkhead. I am 177 cm, and have broad shoulders, and am not overweight. The seats were really quite awful, even for a minute, let alone >12 hours. The cushion width is definitely narrower on the bulkhead.
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:13 pm

I just flew PEY as well and will toss in a review for that a bit later. What I can say is 39 A/C/H/K are the best seats econ on this airplane. Minimal traffic, quiet and dark “mini cabin”, bulkhead. No better economy seats on the plane.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
whilst we focus on negativity of this config, i.manage to secure late minute 4 econony ward at 20k each on HKG-HND routing over xmas period with ok options for travel date on routes with densified 777... so i guess it has benefits too

lets face it, Jetstar or 777 densified version, i take CX.anytime... let alone for petty 20k asiamiles
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:08 am

Any thoughts on the cabin fit out quality & layout so far?

The 359s continue to underwhelm with the regularly unservicable bathrooms and ridiculous narrow aisles forcing you to squash up against the poor pax seated practically on top of the lavatories.

converting 777s to 10 across will put them on the no fly list for Y in future coupled with this
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
well, everyones got their opinion..but I think its ok

Look, economy is crappy to begin with. Like the old saying about making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I am 6-foot and I didn't find the seat any worse than what they had before. I felt that the legroom was actually improved, as the seat actually feel thinner (whether it measures that way or not).

Seat width is narrower, but they clearly cut down on the aisle width considerably.

From a business perspective, people can bi*ch and moan but they could go 15 across and people will still choose to fly them. As we all know, tourist flyers buy based on price not on comfort. Until someone starts to IMPROVE the economy experience (at the same selling price), there is no motivation to put a halt on this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014
I am 6-foot and I didn't find the seat any worse than what they had before. I felt that the legroom was actually improved, as the seat actually feel thinner (whether it measures that way or not).
Thinner seat may be a plus to you.

Originally Posted by hkflyer2014
Seat width is narrower, but they clearly cut down on the aisle width considerably.
Anyone next to you (I would assume yes but just checking)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA
I am not a fan on the new Y seats on the 777. If I am booked a long haul flight on a densified 777, I always hoped to see a last minute swap to an aircraft with old config but it never happened. Anyone had an equipment lottery win so far?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Had a first taste of 10-abreast on one of the regional 773z. At the first Y bulkheads, legroom ok even at the window (6'3). But the seats are very narrow indeed. My other shoulder was occupying a good part of the middle seats airspace (luckily empty for most of the flight). The IFE control dock also sticks out from the arm rest, reducing the width even further. I find the seats more comfortable than other variants, very similar to the A350s, but YMMV.

Overall, the seats and the config seem fine for shorter regional hops (up to 2.5 hours), but wouldn't like to sit a LH flight on one of these...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:20 am

Some of you may or may not know, I actually flew CX again this month, February 15 on CX879 and CX631 and February 24 on CX632 and CX870. On 879/870, it was obviously the 10-across and my thoughts on the 10-across were actually quite worse especially on 879, especially when the person in front reclines. Not that I'm against it, but it really decreased the legroom and space much more compared to the 9-across B77G, which I was happy to have on both 631/632. Last trip in November on both 879/870, no one reclined. This trip, only on 879 this happened but not 870 surprisingly, hence why on 870 it was pretty comfortable even on the aisles. I still prefer the 9-across which was still wider and easier to manage.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

YVR

Anyone have any scoop on the YVR flight?
Was 9-abreast when we flew it 3 months ago.

Thinking about flying it again this Nov. No way to speculate on the probability of it being 10-abreast vs still possibly 9-abreast? Or have they already started using 10-abreast 777 on that route?

If someone in the know tells me that the plane will more likely be high-density this Nov, then I am opting for PE either with them or another airline.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by evergrn
Anyone have any scoop on the YVR flight?
Was 9-abreast when we flew it 3 months ago.

Thinking about flying it again this Nov. No way to speculate on the probability of it being 10-abreast vs still possibly 9-abreast? Or have they already started using 10-abreast 777 on that route?

If someone in the know tells me that the plane will more likely be high-density this Nov, then I am opting for PE either with them or another airline.
It's all just guessing. But the odds are good it'll be 10 across because the conversions are happening regularly and they're scheduled to be done by 2020.

If you're really trying to play the odds, CX837/838 will probably be a higher chance because the 77G/77K subfleet is farther along in the conversions as a percentage than the 77H/77A subfleet (77H/77A serves CX888/CX865). But who knows. The few most recent conversions have been 77H->77A.

You could always choose the A359 flight.

You can use this link to see how far things are along. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
It's all just guessing. But the odds are good it'll be 10 across because the conversions are happening regularly and they're scheduled to be done by 2020.

If you're really trying to play the odds, CX837/838 will probably be a higher chance because the 77G/77K subfleet is farther along in the conversions as a percentage than the 77H/77A subfleet (77H/77A serves CX888/CX865). But who knows. The few most recent conversions have been 77H->77A.

You could always choose the A359 flight.

You can use this link to see how far things are along. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide
Thanks a lot. That is very helpful.
Btw, where on that link does it indicate how far things are rolling along with the 777 transition? Do you just look for comments under the "Remarks" column of the tables?
I'm based near SEA, which has the A359 flight. Unfortunately the economy fare out of SEA that allows seat assignment is not that much cheaper than PE fare out of YVR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.