Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bart simpson
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1718701-cx-considering-confirmed-having-10-seats-per-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by fl360
Just for some future people googled this page and trying to find out what do to with CX's 3-4-3 777s... here is a FAQ

Question : I recently flew CX's new 777 with 3-4-3 seating, and the seats are so narrow and even I saved $50 USD, I end up have to spend $200 USD for a physiotherapist, there is a guy a few rows from me actually ending up detained in a police cell in HK because he had a fight with the next passenger next to him over shoulder space as they both have board shoulders.

Q: but all the CX fanboy tell us this is what all airlines do nowadays with their 777, so I have no alternatives ?
A: that's BS, read below.....

Q : I live in UK / Europe, what to do ?
A: try BA's A380 to HK, the A380's Y 3-4-3 lower deck and 2-4-2 upper deck is the best Y seats nowadays in terms of Y passenger comfort.

Q: I live in Australia, what to do ?
A: for direct flights, try Qantas's A380 to HK,
if you are going to USA from Australia, use Delta's 777 as they are still 3-3-3, or Qantas's A380 to the USA.
if you are going to Europe from Australia, secure a discount fare when SQ have specials, their 777 are still 3-3-3 and even better, fly their A380s.
Also consider flying Chinese airlines' they often have specials, and do your research on their seating arrangements, for business class, consider China airlines (transit via TPE) as often they have business class specials to europe and USA for around 4k AUD, that's half the price of Cathay / Qantas. China airlines business class is 1-2-1 seating, it is the same as Cathay's business class, google it.

Q: I based in HK, what to do ?
A: for flights under 3 hours, pick whatever the cheapest
for long haul to USA, try Singapore airlines, Chinese airlines, and China airlines transit via TPE. Note if you are oneworld sapphire or above, you can fly AA's main cabin extra for free for yourself and all of your companions in the same booking, that's a very good bonus.
for long haul to Europe, consider BA's A380. or Chinese airlines, and China airlines.

but I think Cathay's a350 is still OK as it is still 3-3-3 for Y, and the A350 is only slightly narrower than the 777, unlike the 787 which is much narrower compared to the 777 and bloody Qantas stills cramps 3-3-3 in them.

Note this discussion is all about Y, PEY and J is another discussion.
That's a lot of drama for being poor.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
That's a lot of drama for being poor.
life is all about making decisions, the best bang for your buck for the set budget,

so now the best bang for your buck for
Y is is SQ economy, or A380s, or CX A350s, JAL.. Delta economy 777.
PEY and Y China airlines or Chinese airlines, quite simple really.

if money is no problem, private jet is the best answer.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
life is all about making decisions, the best bang for your buck for the set budget,

so now the best bang for your buck for
Y is is SQ economy, or A380s, or CX A350s, JAL.. Delta economy 777.
PEY and Y China airlines or Chinese airlines, quite simple really.

if money is no problem, private jet is the best answer.
you don't get lounge access flying private jet
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ermen
you don't get lounge access flying private jet
the private jet is the flying lounge !!
and you can let your pet run around during flight as well. no way in a public airline let you do this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

the private jet is the flying lounge !!
and you can let your pet run around during flight as well. no way in a public airline let you do this.
Indeed. You don't need a lounge on a private jet, it flies at your schedule
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just for some future people googled this page and trying to find out what do to with CX's 3-4-3 777s... here is a FAQ
Snip!.

but I think Cathay's a350 is still OK as it is still 3-3-3 for Y, and the A350 is only slightly narrower than the 777, unlike the 787 which is much narrower compared to the 777 and bloody Qantas stills cramps 3-3-3 in them.

Note this discussion is all about Y, PEY and J is another discussion.
I can understand your dread. I recently made plans to go from the UK to Australia and chose non-777 flights after making that mistake on Emirates once, not knowing it was 10 abreast. I've manged to go all A350s by flying into Brisbane and out of Melbourne to LGW. The only downside is the 6am arrival time back in London. I prefer the 3pm arrival as it helps with jetlag, but this gave me a little bit of more time in Melbourne and A350s all the way. If it wasn't for the sale, I wouldn't have booked with CX either. Their standard prices aren't competitive with the others. Had I paid the "normal" Y price, I would not be happy with the 777 and would have taken Qantas to Sydney on the A380 and transferred there.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:36 am

Are the regional aircraft retrofitted and in service yet? Any idea what routes these regional aircrafts are flying at the moment?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lukelim89
Are the regional aircraft retrofitted and in service yet? Any idea what routes these regional aircrafts are flying at the moment?
I think there’s one 773 retrofitted. However it’s not designed to any specific route.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi All,

Although I fly quite a lot, I am a novice with Cathay, I have flown the 747 LHR-HKG return many years ago and last year I flew F ORD-HKG-BKK.

I've never flown economy on a Cathay 777 but have a trip coming up late November and I have 59C reserved on both legs. I've been looking at some of the fleet documentation and can see that there is a 77H -> 77A transition going on. Is there much of a chance that I may be going on a 10 abreast 777?

Thanks,

Last edited by capin; Aug 15, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by capin
Hi All,

Although I fly quite a lot, I am a novice with Cathay, I have flown the 747 LHR-HKG return many years ago and last year I flew F ORD-HKG-BKK.

I've never flown economy on a Cathay 777 but have a trip coming up late November and I have 59C reserved on both legs. I've been looking at some of the fleet documentation and can see that there is a 77H -> 77A transition going on. Is there much of a chance that I may be going on a 10 abreast 777?

Thanks,
definitely there is a "chance", although it's low. 33% would be a high set of odds, I think it's probably more like 10-20% max chance.

none of us really know the fleet implementation schedule (or if people know, they aren't sharing). So far, only 1 out of 33 birds have been converted in the F-class subfleet which flies to ORD (77H->77A. There were 33 77H to start with), so you're quite safe. But how many will be converted in the next 3 months is unknown.

since the config changes began, the overhauls have been happening fairly quickly. 7/53 total birds total have been converted but they skew towards the plane type which doesn't go to ORD. 6/20 non-F planes (77G->77K) and 1/33 F-equipped planes. ORD is only served by 77H/77A.

Maybe working in your favor is the fact one of CX's newly reconfigured 77Ks was just badly damaged in FCO by a tug. That plane will be out of commission for quite some time. So maybe it forces CX to convert another 77G->77K (doesn't service ORD) ahead of a scheduled 77H->77A conversion (does service ORD).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jframpto
Opinion on new 3/4/3 Seating ... I am flying HKG/SFO/HKG, out late Sep 18, back early Oct 18, seat selection map still shows 3/3/3 for both flts - how soon before travel dates are CX changing the seat maps if using a newly configured 777? I guess they would want to sell the extra seat per row if it's there right? Thks...
FYI - Looks like CX870 departing on Sep 1 has the 3-4-3 config loaded up on expert flyer
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
10 Abreast was A-OK!

Hello! It's my first time commenting here. I recently flew the new 10 abreast 77K from HND - HKG. I've also flown the A359 a couple of times now, as well as quite a few times on 773 of course, so am able to compare from my personal experiences. I'm very happy to say the new 10 abreast Y was perfectly OK and dare I say it? ... VERY NICE! I actually found it more comfortable that the A359 Y and the new headrest is even better. I thought the A359 Y was great and that they wouldn't be able to improve on that, but hey! they did it!. Appearance-wise too, the new darker green-ish hue is very pleasing to the eye (I do like the A359 lighter green-ish color as well, mind you). All in all a win for CX! I do hope things get back on track very soon.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by TambaTrio
Hello! It's my first time commenting here. I recently flew the new 10 abreast 77K from HND - HKG. I've also flown the A359 a couple of times now, as well as quite a few times on 773 of course, so am able to compare from my personal experiences. I'm very happy to say the new 10 abreast Y was perfectly OK and dare I say it? ... VERY NICE! I actually found it more comfortable that the A359 Y and the new headrest is even better. I thought the A359 Y was great and that they wouldn't be able to improve on that, but hey! they did it!. Appearance-wise too, the new darker green-ish hue is very pleasing to the eye (I do like the A359 lighter green-ish color as well, mind you). All in all a win for CX! I do hope things get back on track very soon.
Great to hear!
Full flight?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
@TambaTrio

you registered FTalk just to tell us your contrarian view that you loved the hated Y productvof Cathay Pathetic? ok welcome to flyertalk
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
Full flight?
Makes all the difference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.