FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1908426-densified-777-10-abreast-reviews-experiences.html)

Microtat Jul 14, 2018 5:58 am

Went on CX530 to Taipei today.. flight was always full if not almost in the back. love the new seats, doesnt feel much narrower for me. the aisle, very noticeably, is.. Quite irritated that everytime someone walks past me i get a nudge.. it will be very bad for overnights..

otherwise, i am sorry (to go against many) that i prefer this over the shell seats if its a day flight..

percysmith Jul 14, 2018 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Microtat (Post 29972686)
love the new seats, doesnt feel much narrower for me. the aisle

Would you describe yourself as having broad shoulders?

Kachjc Jul 14, 2018 7:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29972707)
Would you describe yourself as having broad shoulders?

most Western males have broad shoulders
Western airlines went to 3-4-3 eons ago....

percysmith Jul 14, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc (Post 29972908)
most Western males have broad shoulders
Western airlines went to 3-4-3 eons ago....

Question directed at Microtat in light of his favourable observation. Your view not sought.

Microtat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29972965)

Question directed at Microtat in light of his favourable observation. Your view not sought.

Just a note, i stepped off CX715 which had the shell seats an hour prior to CX530.. i was on seats 40H and 54C on 715 and 530 respectively.. i guess it really gave me a chance to really make a conparison..

my shoulder is quite broad for an Asian. They always get attacked by passing bum during boarding, and certainly it got worse on HNE.

Guess the saving grace might be due to a small size lady beside me as i still felt that i had my own private space.. Window seats will be my choice on all 3-4-3 now..

percysmith Jul 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Microtat (Post 29974531)
Guess the saving grace might be due to a small size lady beside me as i still felt that i had my own private space...

That helps lessen the pain.

I also have a couple of small sized lady (now ex-) colleaugues who travelled on AA's 3-4-3 without a hitch. Again due to their slight builds.

my shoulder is quite broad for an Asian. They always get attacked by passing bum during boarding, and certainly it got worse on HNE.

CX 17 inch aisle https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3d2b1b35a1.png is already above regulatory minima https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2be9430b45.png (they saved space on armrest instead 2 in --> 1.7.in)
Yes put me next to you and we'd both cause each other a lot of pain.

Window seats will be my choice on all 3-4-3 now..

You'd gain the 1.5in seat wall

But have to either stay seated throughout or stepover 2 seats.

Microtat Jul 14, 2018 11:38 pm

[QUOTE=percysmith;29974857]

Guess the saving grace might be due to a small size lady beside me as i still felt that i had my own private space..

That helps lessen the pain.

I also have a couple of small sized lady (now ex-) colleaugues who travelled on AA's 3-4-3 without a hitch. Again due to their slight builds.

CX 17 inch aisle https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3d2b1b35a1.png is already above regulatory minima https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2be9430b45.png (they saved space on armrest instead 2 in --> 1.7.in)
Yes put me next to you and we'd both cause each other a lot of pain.

You'd gain the 1.5in seat wall

But have to either stay seated throughout or stepover 2 seats.

For a regional flight its definitely a window.
I wouldnt know what to choose for Y in the 3-4-3.
Just for the extra space, i guess pey would do the job if i am not in J for long haul
in time to come

Haha, may end up sitting like i am having a puff at the bus stop..

percysmith Jul 14, 2018 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Microtat (Post 29974864)
For a regional flight its definitely a window.
I wouldnt know what to choose for Y in the 3-4-3.
Just for the extra space, i guess pey would do the job if i am not in J for long haul
in time to come

Haha, may end up sitting like i am having a puff at the bus stop..

Standard coping strategies I have with my wife is to take DE or FG where a choice is allowed

I mind less my shoulders being bumped in the aisle but the missus might not want to be squeezed between me and another broad-shouldered man so I took E last time, which made things hell for the man in F also.

Audio Jul 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Why is it that when you seated in "E", you make things hell for "F"? Is that your right?

(Audio)

percysmith Jul 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 29977569)
Why is it that when you seated in "E", you make things hell for "F"? Is that your right?

Yes
And he was pretty broad too, so we spent our HND-CTS flight politely trying to pull our shoulders away from each other.

sxc Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 29977569)

(Audio)

I think the point @percysmith makes is not that he was deliberately making things hell, it's just unfortunate for the person in seat F.

mxr Jul 17, 2018 3:26 am

I guess that one thing they are achieving with 3-4-3 is higher value for PEY seats. The difference will now be noticeably bigger between Y and PEY.
Before the changes, I felt like with the 3-3-3 configuration, the PEY seats weren't that much of an upgrade.

With limited travel budgets I used to split outbound and return legs in J and Y much rather than going PEY both ways. Even though I have not tried the new configuration yet, Im quite sure that it won't be as enjoyable anymore. Apart from the slightly bigger seats you had before, one of the bigger benefits now gone was the ability to sit in D or G and possibly have the person sitting in E not disturbing you at all for restroom visits for the entire flight (lets assume the two sitting next to you are flying together).

percysmith Jul 17, 2018 3:41 am

True, hehheh. Maybe then they're jack up PE prices even further.

Microtat Jul 17, 2018 3:52 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29982304)
True, hehheh. Maybe then they're jack up PE prices even further.

hopefully not.. PEY is only enhanced at Y’s expense, no real gain there..

jframpto Jul 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Opinion on new 3/4/3 Seating ... I am flying HKG/SFO/HKG, out late Sep 18, back early Oct 18, seat selection map still shows 3/3/3 for both flts - how soon before travel dates are CX changing the seat maps if using a newly configured 777? I guess they would want to sell the extra seat per row if it's there right? Thks...