Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bart simpson
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1718701-cx-considering-confirmed-having-10-seats-per-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: asia miles
flew HKG-CDG, sitting on the on a aisle seat and my daughter next to me, it was all right. It probably be a different story if siting next to someone with large shoulder.

Last night NRT-HKG, on a 73Z, seat 40J (bulkhead, middle seat), I could barely fit inside. I am not super skinny, neither fat but I could not fit my hand in between my leg and the seat. For 3.5 hours+, it is ok, but on a longer flight, that would surely become rather uncomfortable after a wife.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan needs to find an employer who will pay for business class or at least Premium Economy.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Dan needs to find an employer who will pay for business class or at least Premium Economy.
What employer pays for home passage these days? I thought these were like colonial-era packages
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:21 pm

Ah, that looks pretty brutal. Next time, Dude should just pay for an upgrade to at least PE or something.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
I wonder should CX have a person of size policy if they are going to install 10-abreast seats?

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 2, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What employer pays for home passage these days? I thought these were like colonial-era packages
I don't see any mention of home passage in the post, of course I can't access the link due to my location so I'm not sure if there is more in the facebook link. Anyway, home passage is still common here for expats but it's usually coach. If he's on a package with home passage it's his own fault for not upgrading as I'm sure he has the coin.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:09 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm pretty sure he was just on holiday like 90+% of travellers.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I'm pretty sure he was just on holiday like 90+% of travellers.
Can't help myself with a "#MovedBeyond" hashtag

Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: asia miles
I wonder should CX have a person of size policy if they are going to install 10-abreast seats?
I guess this is a real can of worm. But as long as I respect anybody, I pay for one seat and not 80% of one, so airlines should somehow deal with that sort of issue. I really feel for the guy
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blandy62
I guess this is a real can of worm. But as long as I respect anybody, I pay for one seat and not 80% of one, so airlines should somehow deal with that sort of issue. I really feel for the guy
HK GAs confronting an oversized expat? I don't see that happening.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: MPC Diamond
Was on CX750 from BKK-HKG yesterday. Full flight in Y in 77P configuration (2-3-2 in J, 3-4-3 in Y, no PEY). Wasn't aware that I was going to get the 10-abreast actually, but since it was a fairly short flight (~2 hours flight time), probably would not have changed my decision. This would be an "avoid-at-all-costs" type arrangement if flying Y in long-haul though.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here, the seat stands below the seats in front were laid out in a weird way in the middle section. I'm not sure if it was just my row (52), but the little metal pillars supporting the seats (that typically divide your legroom from your neighbor's legroom) were located down the middle of my seat rather than the typical layout dividing each person's legroom into neat cubby-holes. While it still worked for me by putting one leg on each side of the stand, it removed my ability to fit a bag below the seat, and I ended up having to store my backpack overhead. Seems like they would want to incentivize the opposite (more people putting personal items below the seat) to save space in the overhead bins since as noted here those tend to be more crowded on these flights due to the greater number of Y passengers.

Looking up the flight afterwards, I noticed that this layout adds an additional 40 Y seats to the plane (vs. 9-abreast). My two cents - I get that economics drives the installation of the 10-abreast, and personally I suppose it was fine for a short-haul flight. However, I really cringe at thinking about taking one of these long-haul, I would either try to fly another airline that has more width, or give up and just try to book PEY (which, I know, somehow perversely rewards CX for this behavior - so let's just assume Scenario 1). Since not all of these additional seats end up being used most of the time (I think you need to be at a load factor of 90% for these additional seats to come into play), I have to think that even something like a 5-10% difference in Y pricing would be sufficient to offset the economic disadvantage of flying birds with ~10% fewer seats in Y. I would gladly pay this 10% difference for Y in long-haul if I knew I would be able to avoid 10-abreast, and presumably, there could also be some branding opportunities as well...

I don't know, maybe this is all just wishful thinking...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calf613
One thing I didn't see mentioned here, the seat stands below the seats in front were laid out in a weird way in the middle section. I'm not sure if it was just my row (52), but the little metal pillars supporting the seats (that typically divide your legroom from your neighbor's legroom) were located down the middle of my seat rather than the typical layout dividing each person's legroom into neat cubby-holes.
Front cabin of 77P has one more row than old 73Z https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31829111 , in addition to the additional seat per row.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 3, 2020 at 6:07 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I agree. As much as I also don't line the 10-abreast seats, the issue here is policy, not seat width. Even with 9-abreast seats, the same problem could have happened. I think asking for an employer who will pay for a higher class is totally besides the point.

Many years ago, an ISM came over and asked me to swap my exit row seat with a guy who basically couldn't fit in his original seat. I was too naďve and compiled right away without getting any sort of compensation or nice gesture from the ISM. Looking back, I should have complained to CX that they simply should not have let this person board the plane.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:59 am

Sadly for Dan Wells, Emirates already has 10 across on their 777s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.