Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bart simpson
Wiki Link
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...er-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 19, 10:48 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
In my experience it's not just the seats (though I had an uncomfortable flight HKG-BOM recently due to there being a large guy in the middle seat next to my aisle seat).

It's the ridiculously small and flimsy arm rests, which reinforce the sense (and actuality) of no physical gap between you and the person(s) sat alongside.

Either CX joins the race to the bottom (and reduces fares accordingly) OR it is a premium carrier. Currently risks the worst of both worlds.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Anyone have any scoop on the YVR flight?
Was 9-abreast when we flew it 3 months ago.

Thinking about flying it again this Nov. No way to speculate on the probability of it being 10-abreast vs still possibly 9-abreast? Or have they already started using 10-abreast 777 on that route?

If someone in the know tells me that the plane will more likely be high-density this Nov, then I am opting for PE either with them or another airline.
From March 1st to March 31 (Beginning of the Northern Summer Schedule), YVR (838/837) is showing 9-across according to ExpertFlyer. It was regularly a 10-across from December to the end of February. From the Northern Summer schedule onwards, it will revert back to the B77K.

Though they're doing conversions from the 77H to the 77K, CX888/865 is served by the 9-across most days and some cases 10-across 77A.

As far as the Winter schedule, hard to speculate at this point, but as the above poster said, most 77G are already converted so I would anticipate it to remain 77K, the seat maps will eventually be updated.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Thanks a lot. That is very helpful.
Btw, where on that link does it indicate how far things are rolling along with the 777 transition? Do you just look for comments under the "Remarks" column of the tables?
I'm based near SEA, which has the A359 flight. Unfortunately the economy fare out of SEA that allows seat assignment is not that much cheaper than PE fare out of YVR.
You just check each of the subtypes. For example, all 77G is going to 77K. All 77H is going to 77A. And all 773Z is going to 77P (this is a regional 773 config, not applicable to your flight). Aka 77G/77H/773Z are all declining and the regs moved into 77K/77H/77P as they happen.

As planes are converted, we're pretty good about having it updated quickly...a combination of plane fans, frequent fliers, photographers and CX staff usually tip us off quickly.
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Anyone knows what is the number of cabin crew by seniority for economy class in 77P ? (I.e. 777-300 with 10 abreast economy).
had my first flight in the aircraft. Storage closets had to be used for cabin luggage as the overhead bins were full.
Old Apr 3, 19, 4:49 am

I've now had a few U.S. flights on these birds and they are horrible. It's not just that the seats are narrow and armrests flimsy, as noted above. The back feels much thinner so I can often feel the passenger behind me, which on a recent LAX flight woke me up several times. The corridor is uncomfortably narrow - walking to the toilets, one angles slightly sidewise but still brushes against the odd foot or arm. Service is slower and on my flights so far at least, upgrade likelihood seems to have decreased (this may or may not reflect the greater density).
It's not a setup for a premium airline and has already made me look at alternative carriers when I have a choice.
royng likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
I had a couple of these flights recently, seating in the exit row. With the narrower seat, it was almost impossible to get the remote out when seated. I had to stand up, took the remote out, and then sit back. Note I'm overweight but far from obese. I thought the back feels better though.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:28 pm

I'm considering CX870 (HKG-SFO) -- traveling in economy -- as part of an overall BKK-SFO routing. I haven't flown CX before and don't see a seat selector prior to checkout. Is there any certainty as to whether or not I would get 10-abreast or 9? The CX website links to a seating chart which shows configuration 73Z, but I think that might just be the default because it's the first in the drop down list. The other material I saw linked previously in this thread (CX Fleet and Configuration Types document) shows four possibilities for SFO: 77G, 77K, 77H, 77A, which means I'm 50/50 on whether I get 9 or 10 across.

Any advice appreciated on this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:03 pm
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 49er View Post
I'm considering CX870 (HKG-SFO) -- traveling in economy -- as part of an overall BKK-SFO routing. I haven't flown CX before and don't see a seat selector prior to checkout. Is there any certainty as to whether or not I would get 10-abreast or 9? The CX website links to a seating chart which shows configuration 73Z, but I think that might just be the default because it's the first in the drop down list. The other material I saw linked previously in this thread (CX Fleet and Configuration Types document) shows four possibilities for SFO: 77G, 77K, 77H, 77A, which means I'm 50/50 on whether I get 9 or 10 across.

Any advice appreciated on this.
try looking up the flight's seat map on expertflyer, you'll be able to determine which configuration that way.

EDIT: also since you're flying from SFO, try getting on an A350 flight (if the A350s still fly to SFO that is), because I'd say the economy seat on the A350 is so much more comfortable than the 10-abreast 777s
Old Apr 4, 19, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
try looking up the flight's seat map on expertflyer, you'll be able to determine which configuration that way.

EDIT: also since you're flying from SFO, try getting on an A350 flight (if the A350s still fly to SFO that is), because I'd say the economy seat on the A350 is so much more comfortable than the 10-abreast 777s
Thanks for the tip on the A350. I could take it, but I would get into SFO 6 hours later. Another option is to fly HX; they have basically the same flight times as the CX flights I'm looking at, but I would get an A350 for HKG-SFO on HK. I know this is slightly off-topic, but would HX be a better choice comfort-wise and service wise? I have no FF status or miles on CX anyway so that's not a consideration.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tip on the A350. I could take it, but I would get into SFO 6 hours later. Another option is to fly HX; they have basically the same flight times as the CX flights I'm looking at, but I would get an A350 for HKG-SFO on HK. I know this is slightly off-topic, but would HX be a better choice comfort-wise and service wise? I have no FF status or miles on CX anyway so that's not a consideration.
It's not really 50/50, it depends on the flight you take.

As you see from that guide, CX892/893 (which I think is now renumbered 851, same thing) is an A350. -1000 some days and -900 other. No issue.

The other two daily flights ARE 777s. CX872/3 is 77A/H, while CX870/9 is 77G/K. But you are almost 100pct certain to get the 10 across 77K on 870/9. Load factors in the back are high and it was the first longhaul route to get "guaranteed" 77K, so in practice getting 77G on this flight is highly unlikely

77As had slower conversion to start. Right now SFO is getting both 77A and 77H on CX872/3. Unlike 870/9, the 10 across variant is not guaranteed. But the 77A conversions really stepped up lately. And the more 77As come into service and 77Hs leave service, you're at the mercy of math.

So last point. It depends WHEN all 777s are going 10 across. According to CX refit is done next year. So you're racing time. SFO has a high load factors which is a reason 870/9 got the 77K first. I'd say if you're flying summer or later, I think you should just assume on both flights a 10 across bird and count your lucky stars if not. For sure 870/9 will have it. If you want a chance you must do 872/3 but even that's not guaranteed and frankly the odds dwindle quickly. Every few weeks there is one less 9 across bird and one more 10 across bird. Until by 2020 they will all be true "cattle cars".
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
It's not really 50/50, it depends on the flight you take.

As you see from that guide, CX892/893 (which I think is now renumbered 851, same thing) is an A350. -1000 some days and -900 other. No issue.

The other two daily flights ARE 777s. CX872/3 is 77A/H, while CX870/9 is 77G/K. But you are almost 100pct certain to get the 10 across 77K on 870/9. Load factors in the back are high and it was the first longhaul route to get "guaranteed" 77K, so in practice getting 77G on this flight is highly unlikely

77As had slower conversion to start. Right now SFO is getting both 77A and 77H on CX872/3. Unlike 870/9, the 10 across variant is not guaranteed. But the 77A conversions really stepped up lately. And the more 77As come into service and 77Hs leave service, you're at the mercy of math.

So last point. It depends WHEN all 777s are going 10 across. According to CX refit is done next year. So you're racing time. SFO has a high load factors which is a reason 870/9 got the 77K first. I'd say if you're flying summer or later, I think you should just assume on both flights a 10 across bird and count your lucky stars if not. For sure 870/9 will have it. If you want a chance you must do 872/3 but even that's not guaranteed and frankly the odds dwindle quickly. Every few weeks there is one less 9 across bird and one more 10 across bird. Until by 2020 they will all be true "cattle cars".
I am flying later this month. It sounds like I should either
1) bear the 10-across in CX 890
or
2) go with HX which will put me in an A350 for HKG-SFO

Old Apr 4, 19, 10:57 pm

I am flying later this month. It sounds like I should either
1) bear the 10-across in CX 890
or
2) go with HX which will put me in an A350 for HKG-SFO

Just to be clear, I think you mean CX870 (seven) not CX890, which goes to EWR? Or do you mean CX892? I'm not sure which digit was a typo.

I you happened to mean CX892 to SFO, again that flight number is always A350.

If you mean CX870, yea you're right. That's basically guaranteed 77K.

If you really want an A350 to SFO then your choices are HX or CX on CX892.

I will say this. The benefit of 77K or 77A is a near guarantee of wifi, and CX's 777 wifi is unparalleled among all carriers I fly internationally fyi. Very fast. CX a350 wifi is good but not as good as the 777. So CX870 nearly guarantees that, although one or two 77Ks don't have WiFi yet which is frustrating. But high likelihood so if that's important it is worth thinking about.
Old Apr 6, 19, 6:04 am

Copped one of these HKG-BKK 2 weeks ago, they are an absolute f$%@ you from CX beancounters to pax, will never book another sector on them.

They have a nerve foisting these seats on transpacific routes at the prices they charge - waiting for some livestreamed air rage incidents.
Old May 11, 19, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
I need to fly LHR-HKG and back in a couple of weeks time and trying to decide whether to go CX or BA now that CX have gone 10 abreast? Wondering if the BA A380 would be more comfortable. Any advice on who to go with? I will be Oneworld Sapphire on the outbound and Ruby on the way back
Old May 11, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG, SQ *G
Originally Posted by wheatbeer View Post
I need to fly LHR-HKG and back in a couple of weeks time and trying to decide whether to go CX or BA now that CX have gone 10 abreast? Wondering if the BA A380 would be more comfortable. Any advice on who to go with? I will be Oneworld Sapphire on the outbound and Ruby on the way back
Just fly QR or AY, or the A350 from LGW...

AY respects OWS for seat selection on SH (any booking class), and on LH so long as you are not on a Promo/ Lite fare.

Search this Thread