Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bart simpson
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1718701-cx-considering-confirmed-having-10-seats-per-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:18 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
OP's latest response:

"Yes there is no direct seat in front however the seat does cut into the “leg room” as you can see in the picture...my husband had to use his pillow to cover his knee the entire 12 hour journey...you can not call this extra legroom"
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
There is a difference between extra legroom and unlimited legroom. The bulkhead armrest has to be bigger to store the table, unless you make 39HK even narrower, the <10% of "standard legroom" by width is unavoidable. I suspect the 9-abreast 77W also has similar situation? Ignoring the other >90% width of extra legroom, to me it's purely nitpicking.

The aisle alignment though, as it's also narrower, that knee pillow is much more needed to avoid other passengers or the trolleys accidentally bumping into him isn't it?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watery
The aisle alignment though, as it's also narrower, that knee pillow is much more needed to avoid other passengers or the trolleys accidentally bumping into him isn't it?
She seems to say the pillow is to protect the legs from the seat, not aisle traffic.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GO, CX SL
Flew the new configuration on CX163 on Sunday and it was rather pleasant. A minor caveat, the seat next to me was empty. But the seat was more comfortable than the previous version, when I flew CX138, and I also had a spare seat next to me then. The IFE screen and system upgrade is a welcomed feature. My only criticism is that the seats appear very flimsy, and when people move in and out of their seats, they shift considerably more than the previous version.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by towski
Flew the new configuration on CX163 on Sunday and it was rather pleasant. A minor caveat, the seat next to me was empty. But the seat was more comfortable than the previous version, when I flew CX138, and I also had a spare seat next to me then.
Not a terrific surprise, a newly-holstered seat with no neighbour contesting your shoulder space may indeed be more comfortable with an aging seat with no neighbour.

Originally Posted by towski
The IFE screen and system upgrade is a welcomed feature. My only criticism is that the seats appear very flimsy, and when people move in and out of their seats, they shift considerably more than the previous version.
Hmm. How long will the new seats stay comfortable (without neighbour)?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Few days ago, I flied 10seats Y for the very first time from FRA to HKG (11.5 hours day flight).
Y was completely full but I found it tolerant, mostly due to my exit seat 59C.
The new seat and monitor were both great.
The major issues were longer queue for lavatory and less storage space(more people sharing same bins)

When passengers holding OW elite status, who can pre-select exit seats free and priority boarding to place their hand-carry, this new 10seats is fine.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:50 am

Is 32k a good seat? I am thinking of changing to it for the bulkhead/footrest, but I am concerned about it being close to the Lav thanks

Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Is 32k a good seat? I am thinking of changing to it for the bulkhead/footrest, but I am concerned about it being close to the Lav thanks

Unless anything has changed, the lav door opens towards the front so you wouldn’t even know it’s a lav.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:02 am

Awesome, thanks. I just changed to that seat. Looking forward to the recliner experience.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Nov 4, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

that’s my “go to “ seat on the 77H PE. The lav door opens in the front so you won’t be bothered. The only concern is 32H is a bassinet seat.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by shd9

that’s my “go to “ seat on the 77H PE. The lav door opens in the front so you won’t be bothered. The only concern is 32H is a bassinet seat.
Cool, thanks for the information. I am realy hoping to get some sleep on this flight.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Unbearable

I finally ended up in one of these in a flight from Manila last week. Unbelievably awful. I generally chose a bulkhead seat because I like the space in front of me. But the bulkhead seats have the tray table in the armrest, making the arm-rest solid (so no room for ones thighs to ooze under the armrest) and the controls for the screen were set inside the thick armrest, at an angle which further poked out into my legs.

I'm not a Chinese tiny person, but I'm by no means as big as many (UK size 14 ladies clothes if that means anything) and by the time I got off this plane I had marks on both legs where the seat had dug into me on both sides.

I cannot believe they think this is sensible configuration. It was utterly horrendous. For a 1.5 hour flight - horrendous. For an overnight flight - people will die of blood clots.
SekiM likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
I noticed that CX now flies the high density 777 on YYZ-HKG. Before the change, I chose CX over AC because it was a better ride in economy. Now it really comes down to price again since both products are arguably similar. I hope Hong Kong Airlines would fly their new A350 here soon.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Agincourt
I noticed that CX now flies the high density 777 on YYZ-HKG. Before the change, I chose CX over AC because it was a better ride in economy. Now it really comes down to price again since both products are arguably similar. I hope Hong Kong Airlines would fly their new A350 here soon.
then fact that AC could sustain a daily flight when CX provided a vastly superior product at competitive prices is what justifies CX's decision, why give comfort when your customer prefers being squeezed and does not reward you.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kachjc
then fact that AC could sustain a daily flight when CX provided a vastly superior product at competitive prices is what justifies CX's decision.
Or it proves the market is inefficient, at least on the Canadian side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.