Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bart simpson
Wiki Link
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: Long-haul - 12" (up 3"); Regional - 9" (no change)
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.

Previous discussion on Cathay's decision to densify: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...er-row-44.html
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 12, 18, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer View Post
Guess what? None of the passengers on the 10 abreast Y class seating knew any better so it made no difference to them and that's how it is played!
Smart airlines are moving towards 10 abreast seating on the 777s.

I got off from Haneda - Hong Kong CX flight and it was 10 abreast and it was a great experience once again - sorry for busting your bubbles to those that were naysayers.
CX has done a great job with its 10 abreast seating with IFE, seat comfort and the slim seats that gives you a great sense of space.

I must admit that CX IFE on the refitted aircraft are better than what SQ has with their new aircraft. SQ is no longer a major competitor in the YCL space. They have lost the lust in this segment for sure and from my experience.
I was and am what you call a "naysayer". And I have tried the product and agree the seat and IFE are great, and have posted about this before. Yet, my bubble continues to be perfectly intact. I will continue to go out of my way to avoid the 10 abreast, particularly on long haul flights.
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)
No matter how great or ergonomic the new seat/IFE is, the narrowed aisle is definitely problematic
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:19 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
It seems that starting from 28th Sep, the CX100/101 flights to SYD are with 10 cross. I had one of my waitlisted M class cleared on 2nd Oct CX101 and noticed a seat map change, which explains the extra seats available for sale.
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post

Makes sense: summer school hols. PRC school kids to summer camps and HK families on their Europe/US long holidays

Any news on increased staffing for the additional 40 pax?
what? you have got to be kidding right? remember, this is CX!!
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
It seems that starting from 28th Sep, the CX100/101 flights to SYD are with 10 cross. I had one of my waitlisted M class cleared on 2nd Oct CX101 and noticed a seat map change, which explains the extra seats available for sale.
My 21/10 CX100 is still 3-3-3, but if I don't clear PE/J then I'm thinking of taking QF for the food.
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gear down View Post
what? you have got to be kidding right? remember, this is CX!!
I think one of the CX Secret posts confirmed no. They just described it as "more even distribution of work" (previously one aisle served four and one aisle served five on 9-abreast)
Old Sep 24, 18, 10:54 pm

I think one of the CX Secret posts confirmed no. They just described it as "more even distribution of work" (previously one aisle served four and one aisle served five on 9-abreast)
I am very well aware, just a joke.

I have tried the 10 abreast, and first impression was the aisle was so much smaller. Crew are having a rough time pushing the carts for meal service and have bumped into my seat every time. This configuration also results in longer queue for the toilets.

apart from that, the seats looks stylish, IFE is better (No where near EK's though some idiot did compare to the EK system of 2 years ago, the schmuck) but the meal table is a bit small. Ample storage room but really have to remember to take your stuff before disembarking
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
You people defending 10-abreast economy must be midgets or masochists, because I just endured it on CX715 HKG-SIN and it was awful. I'm 5'10 165 lbs so not a real big guy, but the narrow seat and especially narrow aisle made for a very uncomfortable flight. Service was prefunctory at best and I could not wait to get off in Singapore.
gear down, percysmith and royng like this.
Old Sep 26, 18, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Oh the 77P
New row 53DEFG. Back two cabins are renumbered from 54 as a result

Making front Y cabin middle seats the cabin to avoid

Any idea how this happened (first row of Economy to LHR --> second row) ?

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 18 at 1:23 am
Old Sep 26, 18, 1:29 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob

This looks like Row 40 on the densified 77K. I wonder if he is slumped in his seat for the seat to be so close to his knees.

If his legs are really that long, then he'd have more of a problem in a "normal" seat.

Old Sep 26, 18, 1:31 am

Programs: Marco Polo

seems like there's no H seat in front of him because the front row is only a double instead of a triple.
Old Sep 26, 18, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Came back to say we worked out exactly which seat this is:

- PE partition not exit aisle up front
- three seater aisle with two seater in front

The seat involved has to be 40H on a 77K https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y

Next question though - isn't that a clean removed seat up front (no 39J)? So how does 39H back into OP hubby's knee? I'll ask.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 18 at 2:09 am
Old Sep 26, 18, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
This looks like Row 40 on the densified 77K. I wonder if he is slumped in his seat for the seat to be so close to his knees.

If his legs are really that long, then he'd have more of a problem in a "normal" seat.

Agreed
But with the offset seats, don't his legs go next to the side of 39H (hence Extra Legroom)? I have no idea how 39H then can "digging into him".

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 18 at 2:09 am
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:02 am

I think the key lies in the title of the post: "frustrated for second time". Feels a bit like the poster was already miffed cause they didn't get their upgrade cleared on leg one.

This article has a picture of the seat in question: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-economy-seat/

Hope it's okay to re-post it since the link was provided.

Yeah, I mean if you're trying to find fault in that seat you can easily sit straight enough to bump your knee into the armrest of 39H.
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia View Post
Yeah, I mean if you're trying to find fault in that seat you can easily sit straight enough to bump your knee into the armrest of 39H.
Thanks for posting that. From the photo the second seat "leg" in both rows 39 and 40 are on the floor strip. So the seats are aligned.

OP's husband can bump his legs against the 39H seat side coming down from the armrest, but he's really looking for fault if he complains about that.
sxc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: