Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can one station check-in/print BP originating at another station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I have an ORD-HKG flight coming up, and will be booking a separate ticket on AA for JFK-ORD.

Does the CX counter at JFK have the ability to check in a passenger and print a boarding pass for an itinerary originating in ORD, or only for flights departing from JFK? It would be super convenient if I didn't have to go land-side at ORD to check in with CX.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Any particular reason that you don't want to (or didn't) add the JFK-ORD leg to the ORD-HKG ticket?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Any particular reason that you don't want to (or didn't) add the JFK-ORD leg to the ORD-HKG ticket?
Only reason was pricing. It was significantly cheaper from ORD on CX stock, and adding on a JFK/LGA leg would have added significant cost.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Only reason was pricing. It was significantly cheaper from ORD on CX stock, and adding on a JFK/LGA leg would have added significant cost.
Interesting. And good to know, -- thanks!
DMPHL likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:15 am

ORD has airside transit now?

last time I was there I need to exit AA terminal and reclear TSA at CX terminal.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by xuukgo
ORD has airside transit now?

last time I was there I need to exit AA terminal and reclear TSA at CX terminal.
There's an airside bus service that takes pax from T3 to T5 now, from gates G17 and K20. I believe it started around the end of last year.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:25 am

I have an ORD-HKG flight coming up, and will be booking a separate ticket on AA for JFK-ORD.

Does the CX counter at JFK have the ability to check in a passenger and print a boarding pass for an itinerary originating in ORD, or only for flights departing from JFK? It would be super convenient if I didn't have to go land-side at ORD to check in with CX.
Don't think it would be possible.

Do you have checked baggage? If you don't, just use self-print boarding pass or mobile boarding pass. They should be (although not all the time for everyone) available 24 hours prior to dep. If you do, you will have to go landside and reclaim bag anyway.

Next time, you might want to do this via a TA, who can put an AA NYC-ORD and a CX ORD-HKG ticket in one PNR (but still two separate tickets). In that case, AA will check you through.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Due to the recent CX ORD - Indian subcontinent sales, I was thinking about doing a positioning flight from NYC. Thanks OP for asking the questions I have as well!
Old May 2, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Don't think it would be possible.

Do you have checked baggage? If you don't, just use self-print boarding pass or mobile boarding pass. They should be (although not all the time for everyone) available 24 hours prior to dep. If you do, you will have to go landside and reclaim bag anyway.

Next time, you might want to do this via a TA, who can put an AA NYC-ORD and a CX ORD-HKG ticket in one PNR (but still two separate tickets). In that case, AA will check you through.
Good to know that a TA can do that! No checked baggage, so I'll try the self-print or mobile route. Only reason I'm asking is that in the past the system has not been great about allowing me to complete check-in online and print boarding passes myself. Not sure why! US Passport, leaving from a US port, without any crazy visa requirements. It's not the end of the world, though. I'm pretty chill when it comes to dealing with a little extra hassle.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Due to the recent CX ORD - Indian subcontinent sales, I was thinking about doing a positioning flight from NYC. Thanks OP for asking the questions I have as well!
You're welcome!
Old May 2, 2018, 8:14 am

Only reason I'm asking is that in the past the system has not been great about allowing me to complete check-in online and print boarding passes myself. Not sure why! US Passport, leaving from a US port, without any crazy visa requirements.
Yeah, I sometimes have this issue, too. Good luck!
Old May 2, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Good to know that a TA can do that! No checked baggage, so I'll try the self-print or mobile route. Only reason I'm asking is that in the past the system has not been great about allowing me to complete check-in online and print boarding passes myself. Not sure why! US Passport, leaving from a US port, without any crazy visa requirements. It's not the end of the world, though. I'm pretty chill when it comes to dealing with a little extra hassle.
Travel documents need to be verified. While a passenger claim to have a passport of certain nationality, if he/she shows up in the other country without proper documents, the carrier will be held responsible.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Travel documents need to be verified. While a passenger claim to have a passport of certain nationality, if he/she shows up in the other country without proper documents, the carrier will be held responsible.
I get that...What I'm saying is that online check-in often doesn't work for me, a US passport holder traveling to HKG or another destination where no visa is required, when it's explicitly offered on the website. If they need to verify, then don't offer online check-in.

Anyway, I don't want this to get off-topic. It seems that it's not possible for the JFK agents to check me in for a flight departing ORD. I'll try online check-in, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just go to the counter at ORD. Not a big deal.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:04 am

Anyway, I don't want this to get off-topic. It seems that it's not possible for the JFK agents to check me in for a flight departing ORD. I'll try online check-in, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just go to the counter at ORD. Not a big deal.
Just an idea - really not sure if it will work. Although I do not think JFK CX check-in desk can check you in on an itinerary originating from ORD, perhaps, just perhaps, they can clear the doc check things in the system and allow you to get your mobile / self-print boarding pass. I'm not completely ruling out the possibility that they will print you your boarding pass, either. I believe it has more to do with "they are not supposed to do it" versus "they cannot do it due to technical reason." If you do try, please report back.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Just an idea - really not sure if it will work. Although I do not think JFK CX check-in desk can check you in on an itinerary originating from ORD, perhaps, just perhaps, they can clear the doc check things in the system and allow you to get your mobile / self-print boarding pass. I'm not completely ruling out the possibility that they will print you your boarding pass, either. I believe it has more to do with "they are not supposed to do it" versus "they cannot do it due to technical reason." If you do try, please report back.
I'll try that for sure. It's not until June, but I'll report back!
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.