Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

KA to launch DVO (Davao, the Philippines) & KNO (Medan, Indonesia)

Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

News from CX: https://news.cathaypacific.com/hong-...ity-and-medan#

Schedule below:
香港-達沃
HKG-DVO

KA347
12:35/15:50
周二、三、五、日
2 3 5 7

達沃-香港
DVO-HKG

KA348
16:50/20:00

香港-棉蘭
HKG-KNO

KA359
21:50/00:50+1
周一、四、六
1 4 6
棉蘭-香港
KNO-HKG

KA358
01:50/07:05
周二、五、日
2 5 7
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:05 am

9 cities in one year!

It seems like CX has just woken up to the fact that HKG can easily sustain flights to 150 cities around the world...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:27 am

Congrats KA! Right thing to do to combat the rise of HX. But I have to admit the choice was a bit out of the blue.

Hopefully the donestic helper traffic will keep the Y load factor high. Throw in a bit of SOE exec traffic, courier boxes, HKIA new destination subsidies (DVO and the old MES were last served 3 years ago) and overnight parking charges saved - keeping a 3-4X weekly a320 should be alright
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:49 pm

Not confident about Medan - LCC have tried in the past and I can’t see 3pw being competitive for transit traffic vs Singapore or KL. Hope to be surprised though
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Davao looks interesting. Lots of fresh fruit and seafood to fill the belly. Not sure about Medan. I would have preferred Balikpapan with daylight flights.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I'm actually excited about Medan (KNO) hope it will perform well!
Old May 1, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Great to see more new cities added
Old May 1, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by peasant
Not confident about Medan - LCC have tried in the past and I can’t see 3pw being competitive for transit traffic vs Singapore or KL. Hope to be surprised though
Transit travelers may be target customers.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Aus106080
Transit travelers may be target customers.
Alot of seamen travel on CX from North America to get to theses cities via OAL once they get to CGK/MNL. CX just wants to capture the traffic.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Alot of seamen travel on CX from North America to get to theses cities via OAL once they get to CGK/MNL. CX just wants to capture the traffic.
CX should use this logic for Munich, Seattle, Istanbul all which can carry more passengers and more higher paying passengers and cargo compared to
MEDAN....
marcommm likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by Kachjc
CX should use this logic for Munich, Seattle, Istanbul all which can carry more passengers and more higher paying passengers and cargo compared to
MEDAN....
And many Japanese cities. With the immense love of Hong Kong people towards Japan, the flights can easily be filled with leisure travellers. I do not understand why CX cannot sustain daily flights to CTS throughout the year while HX is doing at least 9 weekly. Moreover, KA often has charter flights bringing tourists to various Japanese cities. It is impossible for CX to not know the popularity of Japan.

And I believe if the partnership with LH group does not exist, CX may have added (more) flights to Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna long ago.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by marcommm
And many Japanese cities. With the immense love of Hong Kong people towards Japan, the flights can easily be filled with leisure travellers. I do not understand why CX cannot sustain daily flights to CTS throughout the year while HX is doing at least 9 weekly. Moreover, KA often has charter flights bringing tourists to various Japanese cities. It is impossible for CX to not know the popularity of Japan.

And I believe if the partnership with LH group does not exist, CX may have added (more) flights to Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna long ago.
I believe price is one of the main issue - CTS is highly tourist-driven and HX/UO has been trying very hard in recent years to build their brandname in HK. Given that more people in HK (especially the younger generation) now are price sensitive rather than being loyal, I'm not surprised HX has a higher frequency to CTS. Same goes for OKA too (and probably DPS to certain extent)

For MUC and VIE, I think majority of the LH/OS passengers are on connecting flights and not much premium load again - or else CX would not have pulled out of DUS route as well.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Initially I am very enthusiastic when I see Medan as I have more destinations to explore within the CX/KA family but looking at the schedule, I just rolled my eyes. Remind me of a LCC schedule, arriving so early where you waste a day of hotel stay or can't check-in to a hotel for being too early and departing so late that feel like homeless roaming around the city until late night. Of course one can also spend an extra day stay for late check out.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kachjc
MEDAN....
As I am based in Medan, I think you just underestimated if you said not enough high paying passengers based there. Medan market is growing for both visitors and traveller going out. With only 3x per week on A320, the risk is much lower compared to the cities you mentioned which definitely requires widebody with bloodbath competition. For Medan based travellers the option available for international travel is only via KUL or SIN. So HKG is definitely a great bonus. 3x weekly on A320 will work just fine. Most of the international premium traffic only goes to MI/SQ with MH also get a little slice of the cake as well. So I believe KA/CX will do great especially with CX reputation in Medan is very positive.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:58 pm

are you seriously suggesting that Medan has more revenue potential than Seattle/Istanbul/Munich?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.