Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
They have since reverted back to the old numbers
The cat’s out of the bag. I wonder how things were in the Asia Miles office today...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
The cat’s out of the bag. I wonder how things were in the Asia Miles office today...
(Sorry maybe my head is not around it yet) but moving from a distance-based system to a zone-based system without truly significant increments in earn rates viz-a-viz credit card miles is surely re-arranging deck chairs in the mini cabin?

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 26, 2018 at 2:53 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
(Sorry maybe my head is not around it yet) but moving from a distance-based system to a zone-based system without truly significant increments in earn rates viz-a-viz credit card miles is surely re-arranging deck chairs in the mini cabin?
My reference to the office was about them running around panicked that this had released to production too early.

I think the big impact is that there are decreases in earn particularly for those who purchase long haul premium tickets. And while it may not have a huge practical impact, the message it sends to these passengers could be very damaging. And as you say...it’s just rearranging the deck chairs, while at the same time p...ing off the high yield passengers. Little gain but all the pain for Cathay Pacific.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally Posted by sxc
My reference to the office was about them running around panicked that this had released to production too early.

I think the big impact is that there are decreases in earn particularly for those who purchase long haul premium tickets. And while it may not have a huge practical impact, the message it sends to these passengers could be very damaging. And as you say...it’s just rearranging the deck chairs, while at the same time p...ing off the high yield passengers. Little gain but all the pain for Cathay Pacific.
Exactly to both...but percy see sxc's point. To those who don't fly CX and just do credit card points transfer to AM, who cares. But to the people actually flying on the planes longhaul presumably on cheaper ex-outport premium tickets, it's a middle finger (if true) and also somewhat unnecessary. Particularly since premium earn rates are already so terrible on CX. What they really should do is keep the I and D fares as are, and significantly bump up C, J, A and F fare earning ratio.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
@QRC3288 - I expressed the same point ("moving from a distance-based system to a zone-based system without truly significant increments in earn rates viz-a-viz credit card miles").

Maybe I should elaborate - if CX is concerned about yield, decreasing RDM earn on BIS earners does not appear to be a correct remedial action.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Exactly to both...but percy see sxc's point. To those who don't fly CX and just do credit card points transfer to AM, who cares. But to the people actually flying on the planes longhaul presumably on cheaper ex-outport premium tickets, it's a middle finger (if true) and also somewhat unnecessary. Particularly since premium earn rates are already so terrible on CX. What they really should do is keep the I and D fares as are, and significantly bump up C, J, A and F fare earning ratio.
I don't think ex-outport loughaul premium tickets will be affected as much, since they just boosted shorthaul (outport-HKG) flight earnings. Those short haul flights were earning something like 1000 miles before are earning 2500 miles now. Maybe they figured out that no matter how badly they treat ex-HKG customers, they will always be loyal to CX, so they are trying to please ex-outport passengers more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.