Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Master long layover in Hong Kong thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master long layover in Hong Kong thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would probably prefer to be dipped in hot oil than spend 11 hours in a lounge. Into town for dim sum I say.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Legrand
Thank you all for your informative responses! To provide some more context, there will be two of us, and thankfully we truly do enjoy each other's company :-) We will be flying J, not F. We arrive in the morning from Perth, and our "connection" departs in the evening (11-ish hours later) for Newark, so these are not really timings suitable for booking a hotel room. Hence the question of whether the lounge is comfortable enough to spend 11 hours in...
If your reason is laziness and not money, Go to Hong Kong or Kowloon station and have some proper lunch
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by nightkhan
What do you expect there to be in a lounge? If you can happily eat, drink, sit and nap for 11 hours then you're good to go.
To be fair, some lounges offer more than that. TK lounge in IST with carrera track, playstations, golf simulator, day rooms, showers, and a pool table.

But as others said...no way i would stay for 11 hours at the airport with these flight times and the convenience of aex, unless money was indeed an issue.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Even if you've been to town before, Pier lounge doesn't offer anything unique enough to warrant an 11 hour stay.

Depending on the time of day, the beach is another nearby option if you're really set against going into town. You'll have enough time for that, then shower and eat in the lounge prior to departure.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:22 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Even the terminal itself at HKG is great for shopping and there are various other outlets for food which offer better options that the lounges depending on your personal preferences
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX GO, SPG Plat
Anyone able to check award availability? Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Sydflyerr
yes that is the beauty of it, anyone can!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hl176
Even the terminal itself at HKG is great for shopping and there are various other outlets for food which offer better options that the lounges depending on your personal preferences
well, the qf lounge gives enough lounge estate in case u need to work or want quiet space.
not necessary to pay restaurant food Since they are all just run of the mill restaurants.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:30 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by kaka

well, the qf lounge gives enough lounge estate in case u need to work or want quiet space.
not necessary to pay restaurant food Since they are all just run of the mill restaurants.
True but in a way, the restaurants could give a more 'authentic' dining experience for the OP if s/he desires to do so

Is there a Yung Kee there?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I had a 8 hr layover in HKG 5 days back - 0940hrs - 1740hrs. I showered in the arrivals lounge, took the Airport Express into the city (on a same day return pass), ate dimsum, wandered around a little and returned to the Pier at 1600hrs in time for Moet and some afternoon tea. As good as the Pier is, and the staggering lounge options available at HKG, I would struggle to pass more than 3/3.5hrs at an airport lounge. I have been travelling to Hong Kong 3/4 times a year, for approx 8 years now, and still look forward to visiting the city.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hl176
True but in a way, the restaurants could give a more 'authentic' dining experience for the OP if s/he desires to do so

Is there a Yung Kee there?
even if there was it wouldnt be from the proper oven as there is in central...

going to ifc/elements isnt hard from hkia. Hence i said if anyone is detered by laziness then the trek isnt actually that bad. I think u can “take” the trolleys into the mall against the rules and a few restaurants would keep ur bags for you.
if not willing to spend money is the key then u can stay in the lounge for 11 hours. Ive been in the 2 F lounges in cx for 9 hrs so 11 is close enough.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Sydflyerr
Don't think anyone can check specifically upgrade availability, but if you can see award availability on CX's website (anyone can access with membership), you have a good chance. Otherwise, why not call MPO or AM and ask?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I've done a 12 hour layover once and it was bearable.

I stayed at the Pier for the most part but moved to the Wing on the last couple of hours as my flight was departing from gate 2. It didn't exactly feel like a waste of time because I was able to get work done.

It was nice though to see the different airlines coming and going, and the occasional odd airlines (like Palau Pacific Airways).

While it was bearable, it did get a bit boring, and I wouldn't really think of doing it again.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I truly appreciated the additional replies. We have been to Hong Kong on multiple occasions before, and once to Macau (once was enough), but I do understand the suggestion to nevertheless go into town than try to slog 11 hours in the lounges/terminal. At the very least we could go to Lei Garden or one of the Crystal Jades. I think a lot will depend on the weather, Hong Kong is hell when it rains, but if it's dry and sunny one could even go up to the Peak and so on I guess. It would help greatly if there was a left-baggage facility at HKG ... someone here said there was, so we will check on that!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:18 pm

Airport Hotel

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Regal Airport Hotel has day rooms with spa package from 9 to 21h.
The OP should be aware that this hotel is in the airport. No need to take shuttle bus, etc. It's a quite decent property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.