Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Delayed Inbound to Hong Kong - Likely Options?

Delayed Inbound to Hong Kong - Likely Options?

Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Alright so the flight is delayed again now due to arrive Hong Kong at 23:59 - I'm guessing 16 minutes is pushing that connection

Is there CX customer services in Ho Chi Minh to work on a reroute or do I need to wait until I get to Hong Kong?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Alright so the flight is delayed again now due to arrive Hong Kong at 23:59 - I'm guessing 16 minutes is pushing that connection

Is there CX customer services in Ho Chi Minh to work on a reroute or do I need to wait until I get to Hong Kong?
Best call the CX Flight Enquiries +852-2747-3333, right away. Expect a long hold time though.

CX now does have many passengers with IIROPS now, so the earlier you take action, the higher you are in the queue, the more options you have. Take care to be prepared for your options. It's IRROPS, then more options are available then only regular changes according ticket rules. Consider to do AY through Helsinki and then direct EDI (if possible). It's less busy and the J seats are somewhat comparable to CX.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Michael Roberts

Given the inbound is due to land 7.46pm, and schedule departure is 9pm, you'd hope they could make up some time in turnaround - at least 30min.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
The no-show at boarding results in the ticket being invalidate and can no longer be used.
This is not true, at least not when cx is involved.
award tickets had been no-showed at boarding, and dates changed after.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Ehhhh, when you miss your connection in Hong Kong, you might be in for a surprise: The AMS flight officially departs 0:15 and there are not that many flight to Europe after that time, let alone, that AMS does seem to have a lower load factor (and as such lowest pricing ), compared to other EU destinations. I think, a curfew is also in place in HKG.

Oh, and, the CX lounges do close at night.......

So there is not much opportunity for a nice and long delay in HKG at that time of the day.....

Have a good trip though.
oh joy.
noooooo
1) after ams at 0015 theres at least lhr, man, fra, fco and mxp.
2) theres no curfew in hk that SHUTS the entire operation. It just limits the direction of the runway.
but ya, the lounge only opens until the last flight leaves, so unless another flight has a delay, ud be sol
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by kaka

This is not true, at least not when cx is involved.
award tickets had been no-showed at boarding, and dates changed after.
Could be on award tickets.

Paid tickets do have conditions, which usually include that a no-show on board does not give you a refund. Ergo, the ticket has become invalid.

Of course, when you have all flights on 1 PNR, your first flight gets delayed, then the changes of all the subsequent legs will be changed for you on the costs of the party causing the delay.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Could be on award tickets.

Paid tickets do have conditions, which usually include that a no-show on board does not give you a refund. Ergo, the ticket has become invalid.

Of course, when you have all flights on 1 PNR, your first flight gets delayed, then the changes of all the subsequent legs will be changed for you on the costs of the party causing the delay.
Most airlines have a specified no-show fee that comes on top of the change fee or the refund fee. In other words, if you wish to use that ticket you need to pay that no-show fee. For non-refundable tickets, then you simply lose the ticket.

But, that is really a lesser worry for Michael. If CX manages to get Michael to AMS the next day, my guess is that they will negotiate with KL a rerouting on the next convenient flight to EDI.
Hopefully, Michael has made CX aware that he wishes to terminate in EDI. CX is good with IRROPS and I am sure that CX will do its best to route him and his bags to his final destination.
The problem is that flights on 16 April are awfully full. It will be difficult to get to Europe. Very few day flights. so Michael might have to spend a day in HK. And if the ticket is an award ticket, Michael will have a low priority.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
1. The plane is tracking late CX764 from Ho Chi Minh City to Hong Kong https://fr24.com/CPA764/110c49a7 . Departure time 21:02 local (22:02 HKT), average flight time 128 minutes --> 00:10 (actual estimate is 00:17), no delay indications (gate arrival is 06:55, 15 minutes than scheduled). Looks like a blown connection from here.

2. Yes, alternates are stuffed. Stay a day.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Originally Posted by brunos
The problem is that flights on 16 April are awfully full.
A bit OOT - any ideas why this is the case? I was trying to book HKG-CGK tickets from a while ago without much luck
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wait, he's got a hail mary! CX271 now delayed to 01:00
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
@OP, in HKIA now and just heard that the flight to AMS was delayed to 1am. Looks like you might have some luck!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
And 764 has an ETA of 0017- perhaps by design, but looks good for the OP!
Interestingly, the arrival gate for 764 is #63 as of now, and, 271 was scheduled from the same gate (now been changed to 65).

Last edited by jagmeets; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by kaka

oh joy.
noooooo
1) after ams at 0015 theres at least lhr, man, fra, fco and mxp.
2) theres no curfew in hk that SHUTS the entire operation. It just limits the direction of the runway.
but ya, the lounge only opens until the last flight leaves, so unless another flight has a delay, ud be sol
Yep, though OP was looking forward towards a nice 5 hours period to experience the CX lounges.
All the EU flights do depart in a short period after (or just before) the AMS departure, and not the whole night, so to say.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Most airlines have a specified no-show fee that comes on top of the change fee or the refund fee. In other words, if you wish to use that ticket you need to pay that no-show fee. For non-refundable tickets, then you simply lose the ticket....
Yes, I agree with that and often the ticket is completely cancelled due to the fare conditions, including subsequent legs and returns.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I guess from the silence that the OP made his connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.