Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AM: Mobile number OTP commencing 16 Apr (mandatory 16 Jun)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Dear Mr Smith,

In an effort to enhance our security and protection of your account from unauthorised transactions, Asia Miles will implement a verification process that requires each member to verify their mobile phone number. This will help authenticate and verify any future profile changes or online transactions.

After. 16. April. 2018, members who login to asiamiles.com will be notified to verify their mobile phone number or to update and verify their mobile phone number under the contact information section of their profile.

If you have registered your mobile phone number, you will receive an One-Time Password (OTP) via text message to verify.

If you have not registered your mobile phone number, you must update it in your profile under the “Contact and Communications” first which is verified through a OTP via your registered email address.

Members may continue using all online functions without mobile verification for the coming 6-8 weeks but access will be ceased thereafter until verification process is complete.

Yours sincerely,
The Asia Miles Team
I've been on the phone with AM already this morn:

1. One mobile number can be bound to three AM accounts (needed for family travel managers like me)

2. Not sure how mobile number changes will be handled post-16 Apr but probably like email (OTP to old number, and passport copy otherwise)

3. Mobile number OTP will be required for
a) Changing details (e.g. contact, redemption group)
b) Redeeming non-flight awards

*not* flight awards to self or existing redemption group members

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 10, 2018 at 4:16 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Got the email too.

So that's not going to affect if you are overseas (no OTP access) and need an urgent AM ticket to return I assume?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watery
So that's not going to affect if you are overseas (no OTP access) and need an urgent AM ticket to return I assume?
If this morning's agent is right, yes

OTOH I normally get SMS overseas for free on HK mobile plans.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by percysmith
If this morning's agent is right, yes

OTOH I normally get SMS overseas for free on HK mobile plans.
AFAIK all SMS are free to receive regardless where you are, and data roaming is not required as they are sent via the voice service.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Well here is yet another example of CX's utter IT incompetence...
They send out emails asking people to verify their account using a OTP by email. They ask you to click resend for a new OTP if the first one isn't received in 4 minutes.
Sadly, they use an email service (messagelabs) which takes about 14 minutes to process the message en route to me.
Clicking resend as instructed after 4 minutes causes the previous OTP to become invalid even before it has arrived.
Thus, by following the instructions, I would never be able to update my profile.
Has CX ever in the last 20 years employed anyone in IT who has the slightest clue what they are doing?
fairhsa likes this.

Last edited by christep; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
One of my favourite quotes "Cathay Pacific Information Technology where the intelligence is artificial"
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by christep
They send out emails asking people to verify their account using a OTP by email. They ask you to click resend for a new OTP if the first one isn't received in 4 minutes.
Sadly, they use an email service (messagelabs) which takes about 14 minutes to process the message en route to me.
Clicking resend as instructed after 4 minutes causes the previous OTP to become invalid even before it has arrived.
Thus, by following the instructions, I would never be able to update my profile.
Has CX ever in the last 20 years employed anyone in IT who has the slightest clue what they are doing?
I thought it was weird they wanted to verify my phone number, yet they send me something by email and nothing to do with phone number at all
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
AFAIK all SMS are free to receive regardless where you are, and data roaming is not required as they are sent via the voice service.
Voice and SMS roaming is needed though and certainly will not be available for many prepaid SIM cards.
Or so to say, if your provider does not allow mobile access abroad, you are stuck.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Literally straight after I wrote my comment I received the AM email. It took me 5 minutes to work out what they were trying to say, it is written badly.

However once I realised just needed to confirm, I then received the AM confirmation email and verification number which I entered.

From original confirmation to acceptance of confirmation took 60 seconds.

Then recieved a confirmation email "Thanks for updating your information! We have confirmed your updates of your account (membership number: XXXYYYYZZZ) on your account details at 'Date/Time'"

CX could have come up with a far easier way of doing this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
you can't verify mob number yet? Were you trying to change it?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I was simply removing old business phone numbers from my profile. I got there in the end by not hitting the "send a new OTP" button and just waiting for it to arrive after about 15 minutes. The OTP itself is valid for an hour or so, if not superseded by another.

Last edited by christep; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Well, it gives us a problem right away. We often travel to NZ for lengthy periods and have always bought a Spark Visitor SIM to replace our PAYG UK SIM so would not be able to receive the SMS as it would go to my registered UK PAYG number. In February this type of problem was brought home to us as we have a similar two-stage verification process for access to our UK bank, as it happens we needed access to the account urgently but found that somehow we had lost our UK SIMS when they were changed over to the NZ Spark SIM so couldn't get access to the account until new SIMS had been sent from the UK, this in itself was a problem as the telco refused to send them anywhere but the registered address so extra time was lost getting them sent then forwarded, in all it took 4 weeks to get it sorted out. I suppose I'm highlighting a problem of swapping SIMS. I guess the only solution to this is to have either a dual-sim 'phone or a completely separate 'phone for the Spark SIM.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by Lussac
Well, it gives us a problem right away. We often travel to NZ for lengthy periods and have always bought a Spark Visitor SIM to replace our PAYG UK SIM so would not be able to receive the SMS as it would go to my registered UK PAYG number. In February this type of problem was brought home to us as we have a similar two-stage verification process for access to our UK bank, as it happens we needed access to the account urgently but found that somehow we had lost our UK SIMS when they were changed over to the NZ Spark SIM so couldn't get access to the account until new SIMS had been sent from the UK, this in itself was a problem as the telco refused to send them anywhere but the registered address so extra time was lost getting them sent then forwarded, in all it took 4 weeks to get it sorted out. I suppose I'm highlighting a problem of swapping SIMS. I guess the only solution to this is to have either a dual-sim 'phone or a completely separate 'phone for the Spark SIM.
Your points are all correct, with increased security there is always a "mafan" factor. Its why I have to keep one phone with my China number on at all times. SMS OTP is also considered quite an outdated technique, but nevertheless its employed by many companies, because people still use easily guessed passwords and they use them on multiple sites and most people accept the hassle rather than turning away from the service. Any other type of 2 factor would have massive impact on the adoption, and its not like they will shell out for keyfobs for all of us (and the banks are moving away from those too). A bit of social engineering with a telco can get you someone's SIM card too. I guess, statistically they know this will result in less fraud and attrition of customers as a result will be minimal.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lussac
In February this type of problem was brought home to us as we have a similar two-stage verification process for access to our UK bank, as it happens we needed access to the account urgently but found that somehow we had lost our UK SIMS when they were changed over to the NZ Spark SIM so couldn't get access to the account until new SIMS had been sent from the UK, this in itself was a problem as the telco refused to send them anywhere but the registered address so extra time was lost getting them sent then forwarded, in all it took 4 weeks to get it sorted out.
In this case your SIM serves as your keyfob essentially. Lose a fob and the service provider will need you to complete additional verification before they send you a new one, and very unlikely to send them overseas.

We can't use biometric authentication for everything.

P.S. HK banks are almost certainly going to require HK branch visit to replace a fob. No you cannot visit their Australian branches in lieu even if they have one (e.g. HSBC)

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 10, 2018 at 3:28 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Your points are all correct, with increased security there is always a "mafan" factor. Its why I have to keep one phone with my China number on at all times. SMS OTP is also considered quite an outdated technique, but nevertheless its employed by many companies, because people still use easily guessed passwords and they use them on multiple sites and most people accept the hassle rather than turning away from the service. Any other type of 2 factor would have massive impact on the adoption, and its not like they will shell out for keyfobs for all of us (and the banks are moving away from those too). A bit of social engineering with a telco can get you someone's SIM card too. I guess, statistically they know this will result in less fraud and attrition of customers as a result will be minimal.
Actually some banks (such as HSBC) are moving towards verification through apps tied to your mobile phone rather than your SIM card, which makes life much easier when you swap SIM cards while overseas. But I guess that would be far beyond Cathay's level of IIT expertise ....
kaka and fairhsa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.