FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Since when could you upgrade w/ AM from Y to J on a 4 class flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1902980-since-when-could-you-upgrade-w-am-y-j-4-class-flight.html)

hl176 Apr 8, 2018 9:15 pm

Since when could you upgrade w/ AM from Y to J on a 4 class flight?

Helping a friend for his flight and at first I was weary when he mentioned about upgrading directly from Y to J with Asia Miles but when I searched it myself, the following image appeared

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7da9fbbed6.png

If I recall in the past, you could only upgrade from Y to J if the aircraft did now offer a PEY cabin. Correct me if I'm wrong

sxc Apr 8, 2018 9:24 pm

The awards chart still has that limitation. This is probably bad IT programming that just gives the hypothetical example of a plane flying to JFK without Y+

Ausriver Apr 8, 2018 11:00 pm

can you actually go ahead and upgrade with your miles?

hl176 Apr 9, 2018 12:01 am

I didn't click; only searched it when my friend said it was an option and I told him it's not applicable but he insisted.

He's calling into CX tomorrow so will see the results

cyster2007 Apr 9, 2018 12:15 am

It won't happen, forget about it. Only Y to PY PY to J

watery Apr 9, 2018 12:25 am

Originally Posted by https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-and-conditions/service/flight-award-upgrade-awards.html
1. Members can redeem Mileage Credits for an upgrade to the next class of travel from the original class of ticket purchased in an eligible fare class (refer to the Awards Charts page).

Originally Posted by Right under screen cap
  • Only fare classes Y, B, H, K and M are eligible for Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards (for flights without Premium Economy Class only)

Theoretically if there's equipment swap and you can upgrade as such on 2-class flight (which has to be regional business except 33E). I'd consider it an unnecessary complication to add logic to check what plane operates which route and what combination is impossible, which screws things up if forgotten to update some information during seasonal schedule update. I think the above line of rule is clear enough to supplement what's possible or not.

fakecd Apr 9, 2018 2:22 am

i wouldnt waste my time to call cx. its a no. JFK has no 3 class plane without PEY that can fly the range. you can argue all day long about their website and this and that. or better yet even threaten legal action (there is no base for a case but many ignorant ppl get scared off by term legal action funny eh) by all means ....

but its still a no.

Ausriver Apr 9, 2018 6:20 am

Why would CX/KA wants such restriction on mileage upgrade? Wouldn't it be wonderful if we can always upgrade from M class to business or first?

cyster2007 Apr 9, 2018 6:27 am

Sure is wonderful, but not for CX. For example HKG-JFK I did not check but I believe W/R should be expensive than M

hl176 Apr 9, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 29618680)
i wouldnt waste my time to call cx. its a no. JFK has no 3 class plane without PEY that can fly the range. you can argue all day long about their website and this and that. or better yet even threaten legal action (there is no base for a case but many ignorant ppl get scared off by term legal action funny eh) by all means ....

but its still a no.

He still needs to call in anyways cause he wants to book into a specific fare class

GE90-115B Apr 9, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by cyster2007 (Post 29619126)
Sure is wonderful, but not for CX. For example HKG-JFK I did not check but I believe W/R should be expensive than M

On the other hand however, CX will be able to charge twice the mileage required for people to upgrade to J from M class. It's a chance for CX to wipe some liability off its balance sheet, which is the air miles in this case.

fakecd Apr 9, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B (Post 29620564)
. It's a chance for CX to wipe some liability off its balance sheet, which is the air miles in this case.

they dont need to. miles as contiengent liability is a great thing - its not backed by any real assts... cx can effectively wipe them all off and cleanse it if need be... is it a PR nightmare? yes but they can sell it as "enhancement" that they are cutting fares instead to benefit most flyers...

i would be keen to fly M class with miles upgrade to J if that is introduced, even at twice the cost of upgrade than to PEY. i think 2.5x might be boardeline for me. that way i can earn base miles + qualiflying CP along the way.... but hang on i ditched MPC years ago :p

percysmith Apr 9, 2018 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 29621807)
they dont need to. miles as contiengent liability is a great thing - its not backed by any real assts... cx can effectively wipe them all off and cleanse it if need be... is it a PR nightmare? yes but they can sell it as "enhancement" that they are cutting fares instead to benefit most flyers...

It's unearned revenue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post27780594

Ausriver Apr 10, 2018 2:50 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29622047)

This guy got his 360k points from his credit card... do you think he really gain all of those points by spending on credit cards?
If you happen to read chinese, there are talks about how to open up an credit card merchant machine, swipe your credit card, pay a very low merchant fee and get the money deposit back to your bank account alone with all of those credit card points, which allows you to redeem for Asia Miles. Asia miles is going to close those kinds of account when account owner transferred over large amount of points and then use it to redeem to other people.

percysmith Apr 10, 2018 3:14 am

I included the link only for the accounting implications discussion

AFAIK, a BIS RDM mile and a credit card RDM mile are accounted for identically (unearned revenue).