Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage Champagne in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Recently flew HKGJFK in Cathay F and was served Rare Millésimé 2002 as the Champagne.

It was smooth but Krug 2004 it was not. :-:
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by brunos;30595385...
But I am not ready to yield on pralines. I am a chocolate addict. CX ones are awful. They seem to have forgotten the chocolate in favor of cheap fruity/creamy paste. The impact of cost-cutting. I have lived near Belgium most of my life and know that Belgium is the Kingdom of chocolate. And they are better pralines from boutique brands or local shops than Godiva. Godiva is a big brand and they offer a very large variety of products (over a hundred) and they vary in price. A rough rule is that the more cacao (less creamy stuff) they use, the higher the price. CX F used to offer choices from a big box of Godiva pralines but these were cheap (but still better on average than the current nameless ones). QR J recently started to offer a small packet of two top-quality Godiva pralines.

Apologies for a lengthy personal and irrelevant post, but this is Festive season
I remember being served Amedei Chuao in BA F about 10-12 years ago. Best chocolate I've had since Bruges.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
+1 just came into JFK today and was serverd Milésimé 2002. I too agree it was nice, but I much prefer 2004 Krug.

I wonder if the error fare will have any influence over offerings throughout this year...

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Recently flew HKGJFK in Cathay F and was served Rare Millésimé 2002 as the Champagne.

It was smooth but Krug 2004 it was not. :-:
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oa424
+1 just came into JFK today and was serverd Milésimé 2002. I too agree it was nice, but I much prefer 2004 Krug.

I wonder if the error fare will have any influence over offerings throughout this year...

i dont think so. These things have been planned in advance. Though Cathay does seem to be doing a monthly rotation.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by oa424

Wouldn't it be funny if they served different Champagnes depending on whether the passenger is on a mistake fare?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:29 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by macabus
Wouldn't it be funny if they served different Champagnes depending on whether the passenger is on a mistake fare?
Yes but not really. Because if they managed to do this, what next....op ups and redemptions get half service perhaps?
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:29 pm

It is interesting to read the comments here, compare it to the comments from my own family member.

My aunt, who just flew CX 884 on January 1, found the Rare Millesime (Piper Heidsieck) to be awful, but like the caviar.
However she was glad that Lynch Bages was back on this route.

But regardless of specific comments, they all notice the continued downward spiral of CX onboard food. Things are just not the same as before. Every passenger notices it.

Carfield
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Carfield
It is interesting to read the comments here, compare it to the comments from my own family member.

My aunt, who just flew CX 884 on January 1, found the Rare Millesime (Piper Heidsieck) to be awful, but like the caviar.
However she was glad that Lynch Bages was back on this route.

But regardless of specific comments, they all notice the continued downward spiral of CX onboard food. Things are just not the same as before. Every passenger notices it.

Carfield
Never been a fan of Piper Heudsieck...the ones they serve in J is horrible
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Never been a fan of Piper Heudsieck...the ones they serve in J is horrible
It wasn't to my liking and to be honest the Champagne that I had in the CX Wing F Lounge at the Champagne Bar was much more refreshing than the one onboard.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Is there any way to determine in advance whether a flight will have Krug or Piper Heidsieck, or is it pretty random/unpredictable?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Someone just posted the January F menu on LHR-HKG route - looks like the Chateau Montrose is gone whilst Piper Heidsieck Rare Millesime 2002 is being served. Oh no!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:34 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Just came off CX251 HKG-LHR, can confirm that champagne was Rare Millesimme 2002.

it wasn’t bad at all (granted 2002 was quite the good year), but definitely preferred Krug 2004.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
It wasn't to my liking and to be honest the Champagne that I had in the CX Wing F Lounge at the Champagne Bar was much more refreshing than the one onboard.
to be fair, "refreshing" is a lovely trait but not one that is always present in some of the top Champagnes, especially vintage or some of the house styles' top cuvees. Just saying you can get "refreshing" with a Billecart-Salmon Rose or entry-level Ruinart, whereas an 85 or even 96 Krug probably won't be best called "refreshing", but are absolutely stunning! You can start to get that extra level of complexity even with entry-level Krug. The more of that nutty, toasty complexity that comes, the less I associate it with "refreshing". At least that's for me.

To be fair I haven't tried the PH Rare 2002 before. Given my upcoming lack of CX F flights, I think I'll have to pick up a bottle elsewhere so I can know what I'm talking about here!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
to be fair, "refreshing" is a lovely trait but not one that is always present in some of the top Champagnes, especially vintage or some of the house styles' top cuvees. Just saying you can get "refreshing" with a Billecart-Salmon Rose or entry-level Ruinart, whereas an 85 or even 96 Krug probably won't be best called "refreshing", but are absolutely stunning! You can start to get that extra level of complexity even with entry-level Krug. The more of that nutty, toasty complexity that comes, the less I associate it with "refreshing". At least that's for me.

To be fair I haven't tried the PH Rare 2002 before. Given my upcoming lack of CX F flights, I think I'll have to pick up a bottle elsewhere so I can know what I'm talking about here!
Quite spot on old chap and I was going for the "refreshing" for an airline lounge especially of CX's caliber though the onboard was a bit lacking in a nutty, toasty complexion when I flew HKGJFK.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Marriott FSPP
Just got off CX 888, no Krug 2004, Just Rare Millesime 2002, not bad, maybe can compete with Krug Grande Cuvee, but can't beat Krug 2004.
Glad to see Chateau Lynch Bages 2008 back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.