Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Airlines + HK Express for SALE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
HK Airlines + HK Express for SALE

A little birdie tells me that Hong Kong Airl8nes and HK Express are up for sale and that Temasek Holdings from Singapore are about to start a due diligence process for the airline:

I wonder why Swire is not looking into this? Wouldn’t this make sense to acquire an LCC and then Cathayise it to its needs and enlarge it within the Cathay Pacific Group, this would make the Group a dominant player in HK and command three quarters of the slots at the airport.

What are Swire waiting for?

Last edited by 380Flyer; Mar 29, 2018 at 3:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
to avoid antitrust lawsuit?
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
+1
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I don’t think such laws exist in HK. The only merger laws that I know of that prohibit lessening of competition appl to the telecommunications industry.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxc

I don’t think such laws exist in HK. The only merger laws that I know of that prohibit lessening of competition appl to the telecommunications industry.
"The Company remains the subject of antitrust proceedings in various jurisdictions. Except as otherwise noted
below, the proceedings are focused on issues relating to pricing and competition. The Company is represented by
legal counsel in connection with these matters.
The proceedings and civil actions, except as otherwise stated below, are ongoing and the outcomes are subject to
uncertainties. The Company is not in a position to assess the full potential liabilities but makes provisions based on
facts and circumstances in line with accounting policy 20 on page 109.
In November 2010, the European Commission issued a decision in its airfreight investigation finding that, amongst
other things, the Company and a number of other international cargo carriers agreed to cargo surcharge levels and
that such agreements infringed European competition law. The European Commission imposed a fine of Euros
57.12 million on the Company. However, the General Court delivered judgment in December 2015 annulling the
European Commission’s finding against the Company and the fine of Euros 57.12 million was refunded to the
Company in February 2016. The European Commission has informed the Company and the other airlines involved in
the case of its intention to issue a new decision.
The Company is a defendant in a number of civil claims, including class litigation and third party contribution claims,
in a number of countries including Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and Korea
alleging violations of applicable competition laws arising from the Company’s alleged conduct relating to its air
cargo operations. In addition, civil class action claims have been filed in Canada alleging violations of applicable
competition laws arising from the Company’s alleged conduct relating to certain of its passenger operations. The
Company is represented by legal counsel and is defending these actions, except as noted below.
The Company was involved in three putative class action cases filed in Canada, in which the plaintiffs alleged the
Company and other carriers that provide air cargo services fixed the prices of various air cargo charges and
surcharges in violation of the Canadian Competition Act. The Company reached an agreement to settle all three
actions in December 2015, by paying the plaintiffs CAD$6 million (approximately HK$34.9 million at the exchange
rate current at date of payment). The settlements, which were approved by the Courts in Ontario and British
Columbia in July 2016 and the Courts in Quebec in August 2016, will resolve claims by all putative class members in
all three actions."
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:59 pm

I think it is unlikely for Temasik to have a controlling stake.

Jetstar HK was rejected at first as it was deemed to have foreign majority with QF/MU being partners in JQ HK. Later, despite Pansy Ho being brought in as a significant shareholder and the airline was deemed to be majority owned by Hong Kong resident, the AOC was ultimately denied by CAD.

HNA is desparate for cash and may offload a minority stake in their HK outfit.

Question is, will CAD(defacto CX) block the deal if Temasik wants a controlling stake. It is not in HNAs interest to sell to Cathay as CX/KA will compete with HNA in China
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Are there even financials available for either airline? Don't think I've ever seen whether they are profitable or not.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Are there even financials available for either airline? Don't think I've ever seen whether they are profitable or not.
If there is a friendly acquisition, the acquirer will do a full DD, which includes not just income statements & balance sheets, but also liability, contractual obligations, litigation, human resources items, IT, etc. However, my feeling is such a merger may not be able to get approvals from all jurisdictions. I doubt if CX will even plan to do that.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I wonder why Swire is not looking into this?
I believe you should say why CA (Air China) or Li's family is not looking into this.

FWIW - Swire is not as powerful as it used to be. I don't really believe Swire can raise enough cash to do it.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
A quick look at recent HNA Group news shows them unloading assets globally. These are primarily Hotels and Property. Also HNA have settled their China Fuel Bill, mainland banks are lending again and HNA has been shortlisted for Plovdiv Airport concession. However trading is still suspended.

Given the opaqueness of the accounts it looks like HNA's real problems are short to medium term cash flow driven by the very large debt. Not a particularly astute observation, this is common knowledge. However more information on the loan/debt maturity ratios would reveal more. The higher the short term outstandings relative to long term debt the bigger the structural cash problems and systemic re-occurance. A good example of this on a soveriegn scale is Greece.

Regarding Cathay Pacific, they have over the years managed to swallow up Hong Kong Airways (Owned by Jardines), Air Hong Kong and Dragonair. I would not be surprised if the HK Government did not block any theoretical takeover by CX. That is if CX actually has the appetite, or perhaps in a joint bid with Air China.

On reflection it would get more interesting if China Eastern (after their proposed jv with Qantas and investment ties to Delta) or China Southern started sniffing around.

Happy Easter!

Nicc
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
I believe you should say why CA (Air China) or Li's family is not looking into this.

FWIW - Swire is not as powerful as it used to be. I don't really believe Swire can raise enough cash to do it.
I’m not sure if they are still interested in airlines, they have failed bidding for Air Canada 20 years ago
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:40 pm

makes sense for CX to buy

you need to have at least 50% of your hub slots if you want to profitable long term

CX had that and then lost it in the last 3 years

here is a chance to get it back.

I do not see why it would be blocked....

CX pours more money into the HK economy than any other airlines anyway
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
I’m not sure if they are still interested in airlines, they have failed bidding for Air Canada 20 years ago
Actually, Victor was successful in bidding AC. The problem was uncertainty with AC forced Victor to back out.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Kachjc
makes sense for CX to buy

you need to have at least 50% of your hub slots if you want to profitable long term

CX had that and then lost it in the last 3 years

here is a chance to get it back.

I do not see why it would be blocked....

CX pours more money into the HK economy than any other airlines anyway
If CX really buys shares of HX, I guess we can all start to say goodbye to cheap ex-HKG tickets.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by bart simpson
If CX really buys shares of HX, I guess we can all start to say goodbye to cheap ex-HKG tickets.
That is one big reason CX should do so, isn't it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.