Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Master long layover in Hong Kong thread

Master long layover in Hong Kong thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
lounge hopping in HKG?

Hi! I am going through HKG in CX J (long haul to regional), and I have a LOOOONNNGGG layover (around 11 hours). Will I be able to lounge hop while at HKG? ... Yes, I know that is plenty of time to go into the city, but I kind of want to experience multiple lounges if I can!

How would you spend that much time?

Thanks! :-)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Bagette
Hi! I am going through HKG in CX J (long haul to regional), and I have a LOOOONNNGGG layover (around 11 hours). Will I be able to lounge hop while at HKG? ... Yes, I know that is plenty of time to go into the city, but I kind of want to experience multiple lounges if I can!

Thanks! :-)
11 hours? Get out of the airport and spend it in Hong Kong.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
If you are eligible to enter a CX lounge by status or by class of service (uncertain for lounge redemption or other means), you can hop as much as you like.

If you are flying inbound on CX J, you can also try The Arrival, even though it had nothing to really write about and it is landside.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: pleb
By not staying in lounges and the airport the entire time. Def go into the city, 11 hours is way too long. Yes you can lounge hop, but after 2 lounges they're all the same.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Yes, you can hop all you want. When you leave the first lounge ask them to stamp your boarding pass.
What that said, I agree with the other posters. The CX lounges in HKG are great, but they are not "shangri-la". They are better than sitting outside, but the food is not stellar, Pier/Wing/Bridge J food is kind of rubbery, it's ok but nothing stellar. I've never been in the F lounges, I'm sure they are better but is it good enough to spend a whole day? HK is a world class city, with experiences from 5 star restaurants all the way to street food.

As far as entertainment, well there is none, unless you want to stay on your laptop all day. I already get bored just spending more than an hour in Pier J, that I break it up by hopping over to the Bridge or huff it back to the Wing if my flight departs from over there. Much more entertaining taking in the sites of Kowloon or going to the top of Victoria Peak, heck, even seeing the giant Buddha near the airport.

We talk about the lounges all the time here, well because that's what we do here. But for 11 hours, you should venture out a bit and explore.
Bagette and somemale like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Yes, you can hop all you want. When you leave the first lounge ask them to stamp your boarding pass..
Stamped or not if you qualify to get in it doesn't need a stamp. I wouldn't queue for one if that was required. An international J boarding pass is going to be the golden ticket.
It would make more sense for CX to let you keep the lounge invite and make sure your ID matches but the confiscate it at first point of use for some reason.
11 hours is too long and boring in all or any lounges, even Oneworld partner lounges.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Sure you can! Hop away!
I guess if u were arriving on a long haul flight, you might want to take a shower & a nap.
So I guess 11 hours isn't that long if u sleep for 9
CX lounges are amazing, especially if it's your 1st time. I remember my 1st couple of times & I had a blast, though I was only there for 1-2 hours each time.
And I agree, there's no need to "stamp" your BP, just show it to the staff each time u enter a different lounge.
Let us know if u do end up spending all your time at the lounge
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

You can also make a visit to the Qantas lounge too!
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:19 pm

I’m a Cx gold and last year during a ten hr stop over , I visited all the CX lounges as well as BA and Qantas. Sonhop away.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:48 pm

Agree with the above. CX lounges nothing to write home about. Bright, loud and food not very good. But still fun to lounge hop and see what's on offer at Qantas etc.

However, all lounges but for the Priority Pass ones close at around 12 or 1 am and reopen at around 6 am. There are plenty of three seater benches with no arm rests around the airport but the best area for sleeping is the rest area on the lower level near gate 23. It shares an elevator/entrance with the Hong Kong Airlines lounge. This turns out to be a good thing because at around midnight Hong Kong Airlines puts out a "Closed" sign at the shared entrance. So unless you know about this area, you wouldn't go there after midnight, which means more free beds.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
Thanks everybody! ... Much appreciated!

If it is a nice day, I may decide to go into the City, but I've already done many of the Hong Kong touristy things, so thought I would save some money by staying in the airport. It is a beautiful city, though, so seeing it again would be a good thing! :-)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I could spend 11-ish hours doing lounge hopping (in HKG incl QF) if I have a friend to chat along - but definitely can't stand if alone.

Also, maybe find some less touristy things to do? Might be a bit OT but that's a thing possible to help.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Thanks everybody! ... Much appreciated!

If it is a nice day, I may decide to go into the City, but I've already done many of the Hong Kong touristy things, so thought I would save some money by staying in the airport. It is a beautiful city, though, so seeing it again would be a good thing! :-)
If you have already done the HK touristy stuff then lounge-hopping in HK isn't such a bad idea. Start with the Wing since it's right next to the immigration / security clearance, then slowly work your way up to the Deck (newest lounge that was just opened last week), the Bridge and to the Pier. Pier F is still my favourite, but Pier J isn't too shabby either! Have fun, and enjoy the lounges.
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Don’t forget there are napping Rooms in the pier FF
Bagette likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i would rent day room at regal airport hotel connectee to airport

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.