Lounge Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I'm assuming that most of those commenting on this thread don't live in Hong Kong. You are not talking about the Pier or the Wing or any lounge. You are talking about the behaviour of (if you are lucky) a HK local and if you are unlucky, a Mainland chinese person / family. And those expats who have been here so long we forget what normal behaviour is like!

HK is noise. It just is. And yes, I hate it too!
Let's not point the finger and let this discussion degenerate into a race-based discussion. We all know that there are impolite people from all parts of the world.
roberto99 and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Do you think that those who are prone to this behaviour will read these and change their behaviour?
well, if the agents do get themselves (along with CX the corporate) to kick out people who talks on the phone not in a designated area or sleep on sofas then it would (eventually) change.

i was in the PP lounge in IST and they have a sign saying not to put ur feet on table. people DO stop when staff points at the sign at them. For the 6 hours i was there its only the same ethnic group who does it, AND complies to the agent.

So i guess having a sign allows staff to take action easier. just like how the lounges in japan has signs of no mobile phone, and in reality they really mean not to talk on the phone.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Let's not point the finger and let this discussion degenerate into a race-based discussion. We all know that there are impolite people from all parts of the world.
Sorry, but I have to defend the original poster here. There was nothing "race-based" about that comment. Hong Kongers can be some of the rudest, most impolite human beings of any major city. Behaviour that is either tolerated or even deemed acceptable here is frowned upon in pretty much every other major financial centre. It has nothing to do with race--it's an issue with this city, and its culture.

I understand your role as a moderator, and if this was after a series of multiple comments I would understand, but the original poster's comment, particularly as a one-off, was completely fair, and in no way racist.
kaka and kaffir76 like this.

Last edited by nmuva98; Mar 26, 2018 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
How about people walking around the lounge Facetiming with other people...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
thats the same principle as speaking on the phone innit
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
OMG that is THE worst. These people don't realise how loud they are!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:01 am

Someone needs to post the flyers up at every lounge in HK lol
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sxc
Do you think that those who are prone to this behaviour will read these and change their behaviour?
Of course it can't stop everything. But at the minimum, it can reduce the occurrence.

So do you suggest not to do everything at all?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by garykung
Of course it can't stop everything. But at the minimum, it can reduce the occurrence.

I agree that publishing these “rules” on an obscure link in the CX website isn’t going to help!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung

it would then be easier for the others or the agent to refer to before sending them out.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
While I applaud the idea of putting up the signs, I've made it an Instagram habit of posting pictures of people doing exactly what the sign prohibits, usually standing right next to the sign or under it (no smoking, no parking, strollers-only, etc.) I just assume that whoever it is (HKer, Mainlander, or otherwise) is illiterate.

It's quite an amusing thing and given how often it happens, I'm dubious of the effectiveness of putting up signs without some sort of enforcement (i.e. someone from CX has to periodically remind people of the signs).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kawaii
While I applaud the idea of putting up the signs, I've made it an Instagram habit of posting pictures of people doing exactly what the sign prohibits, usually standing right next to the sign or under it (no smoking, no parking, strollers-only, etc.) I just assume that whoever it is (HKer, Mainlander, or otherwise) is illiterate.

It's quite an amusing thing and given how often it happens, I'm dubious of the effectiveness of putting up signs without some sort of enforcement (i.e. someone from CX has to periodically remind people of the signs).
it is possible if cx are willing to do it
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
San Pelegrino and Acqua Panna are not back in the fridge of The Pier...unfortunately I also saw someone packing 6 bottles of San Pelegrino into his carry on.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
San Pelegrino and Acqua Panna are not back in the fridge of The Pier...unfortunately I also saw someone packing 6 bottles of San Pelegrino into his carry on.
Next time, feel free to photograph and post his face. People do this stuff because they can; no one calls them on it. It's theft and they know it.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs

Stealing mineral water? Are they stockpiling ahead of the typhoon? At least its not Mumm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.