Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX redemptions via other family member accounts - advice kindly sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Would anyone possibly be able to advice me on Asia Miles redemptions, specifically using another person's miles to make a redemption for myself (or vice versa).

Basically, I just wondered if Asia Miles operated somewhat similarly to British Airways' Household Account in this way? That is to say: if I nominated a family member / my partner within my Asia Miles "family group", could I then book redemptions for them but using my Asia miles balance? More pertinently -- and the reason for this post -- if my mother / sister added me to their family group within their own Asia Miles account, would they be able to use their own Asia Miles balance to make a redemption for me?

It's just that, using BA's HHA as an example, I can use the miles (avios) of another person within the Household Account to book a redemption for myself. I just wondered if this was somewhat similar to Asia Miles and redemption nominees? I am trying to avoid paying any money to "transfer" Asia Miles to another person, you see.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
ya
you just have to add them to your redemption group - you could even add your best mate in school even if she is in Rio (or anywhere)

that said, it would cost you money if you need to change group members beyond the 5th person
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Correct - if A adds B in A's Asia Miles redemption group, A will be able to sponsor redemption for B using A's balance (not the other way, unless B also adds A in B's redemption group).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Note that this works well when redeeming miles over the phone. They take some (very basic) "security" questions and they deduct miles from the other member's account.

However, at the airport this doesn't work. If you want to redeem an award using someone else's miles (you are on their redemption list), they will not do this unless the member whose miles you are redeeming is there in person, they want a signature.

Not sure why the double standard, but that's the way it is. I know because I tried to redeem an upgrade award using my son's miles earlier this month at the CX lounge in HK (I am on his redemption list), but they wouldn't let me because my son wasn't travelling with me and couldn't personally sign the request.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Kaka / cxfan1960 / midlevels -- thanks so much all for this information. As a complete novice when it comes to the AsiaMiles FFP, then this information is very good to know and very much appreciated! As such, thanks a lot for sparing the time.

All the best.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by midlevels
Note that this works well when redeeming miles over the phone. They take some (very basic) "security" questions and they deduct miles from the other member's account.

However, at the airport this doesn't work. If you want to redeem an award using someone else's miles (you are on their redemption list), they will not do this unless the member whose miles you are redeeming is there in person, they want a signature.

Not sure why the double standard, but that's the way it is. I know because I tried to redeem an upgrade award using my son's miles earlier this month at the CX lounge in HK (I am on his redemption list), but they wouldn't let me because my son wasn't travelling with me and couldn't personally sign the request.
One of the requirements for instant upgrade is the sponsor must be on the same flight as the passenger. I was once at the check-in asking for upgrades for my wife who was traveling. The check-in agent said I couldn't sponsor as I was not flying with her, and she didn't have enough AM in her account. I did see that in the past, but I am not sure if that requirement still exists as I cannot find it now.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
One of the requirements for instant upgrade is the sponsor must be on the same flight as the passenger. I was once at the check-in asking for upgrades for my wife who was traveling. The check-in agent said I couldn't sponsor as I was not flying with her, and she didn't have enough AM in her account. I did see that in the past, but I am not sure if that requirement still exists as I cannot find it now.
cxfan1960 - many thanks for this additional piece of information and I'll certainly remain alive to that. (It never fails to surprise me how far-reaching -- even if possibly well-motivated -- the quirks and foibles of each respective FFP can be. )

All the best.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by midlevels
Note that this works well when redeeming miles over the phone. They take some (very basic) "security" questions and they deduct miles from the other member's
Can upgrade be done via online instantly instead of phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.