Wiki Posts
Search

Go for DM or Mid-tier benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Go for DM or Mid-tier benefits?

MPO has graciously extended me FOUR MONTHS to make up the points for renewal of DM. I just did a calculations of my trips this year, it'll give me around 950-1200 points (for short flights I fly non-Cathay now since Cathay C-class short-flights are pretty below-average compare to other airlines). Should I just go for GO mid-tier benefits or renewal to DM (but will be drop to GO again next year).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
if you're DM now, and you didn't manage to renew DM...I think you won't get the GO mid-tier benefits? unless...you drop to GO first, then next year you can aim for the GO mid-tier benefits...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I hadn’t thought about this, but doesn’t it sound a tad unfair if a DM is treated worse off than a GO for earning the same number of club points in a year !
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tedhl
if you're DM now, and you didn't manage to renew DM...I think you won't get the GO mid-tier benefits? unless...you drop to GO first, then next year you can aim for the GO mid-tier benefits...
Actually I already got dropped to GO, call MPO and they extended me 4 months, but did a quick calculation I can renew DM, but that just means for next year I will be in the same shoes, back to GO and having MPO to give me another 4 months extension (which is not a given). Or should I just forget about it and get that mid-tier GO benefits, instead of DM?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
I hadn’t thought about this, but doesn’t it sound a tad unfair if a DM is treated worse off than a GO for earning the same number of club points in a year !
For many people the mid-tier benefits are more useful to them. If you want to give up F lounge and 2 guests benefits.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
That's exactly my plan for 2019. Drop down to GO and then re-qualify for DM, getting 4 F upgrades to HND in the process.

I'm (almost) exclusively redeeming my miles this year, earning just enough points to get GO.

After a few years as DM it's no longer special and I'm getting nothing out of being DM apart from a shorter queue at the gate.

(I rarely have check-in luggage, I leave my clinic in Central 90 minutes before take off so I rarely use the lounge in HKG, I use mobile boarding pass so I don't use the F check in counter, I fly F or J only...)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
For many people the mid-tier benefits are more useful to them. If you want to give up F lounge and 2 guests benefits.
You already answered your own question. Ultimately it will be up to YOU, what you value more at the end of the day.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Everyone is different....

I guess for flyers that doesn't fly that much with CX, the 4 upgrade would be better value. However if you're departing HKG every second week, DM will be handy.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Everyone is different....

I guess for flyers that doesn't fly that much with CX, the 4 upgrade would be better value. However if you're departing HKG every second week, DM will be handy.

You hit it. I still fly Cathay often enough to missed the F lounge facilities. But I really do not want to make points run year after year. I think I'll stick with GO.

Thanks gentlemen
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
You hit it. I still fly Cathay often enough to missed the F lounge facilities. But I really do not want to make points run year after year. I think I'll stick with GO.

Thanks gentlemen
I’ve been CX DM for 4 years, and GO few years before that. I do miss the pre mpc change, that I could do V class ticket anytime. I was very loyal to CX back then, clocked at least 120000 CX miles to MPC. After the change, I only had 80000 miles last year and still hit 1200 points, and at least half of them were from OW partners. The exclusive benefits of being CX DM is going away, it is now just another OWE.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ausriver

I’ve been CX DM for 4 years, and GO few years before that. I do miss the pre mpc change, that I could do V class ticket anytime. I was very loyal to CX back then, clocked at least 120000 CX miles to MPC. After the change, I only had 80000 miles last year and still hit 1200 points, and at least half of them were from OW partners. The exclusive benefits of being CX DM is going away, it is now just another OWE.
I completely agree. After a few flights as GO in their C class, I don't feel a big let down from DM (besides the ISM doesn't come by and say a quick hi and bye). The F lounges are nice, but not nice enough for me to go out of my way to only fly Cathay like before. I'll easily make 900-1000 points, and I am actually happy to be flying other airline's C class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.