Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay changed one of my flights mid-trip - any recourse?

Cathay changed one of my flights mid-trip - any recourse?

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by dleewo
I’m curious....I assume the only way to know who changed the flight is to ask say an AA or CX agent? If it was some sort of automated system that did it, will the agent know who’s automated system changed it?
I have a feeling the answer you'd get is the one that begs the fewest questions.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Correct. I was flying economy. I have elite status on AA but I have never flown CX before and have no status with them. Cathay is of course part of the OneWorld alliance

I’m curious....I assume the only way to know who changed the flight is to ask say an AA or CX agent? If it was some sort of automated system that did it, will the agent know who’s automated system changed it?

When in was LAX and I spoke to an AA agent to get back on they flight, I didn’t think to ask her who changed it and she didn’t voluntarily tell me who did it, if she knew.
With all due respect, I do not understand your obstination.
You did fly on the flights you had selected as reroute.You did not suffer from the apparent change.
But it is likely that the change was made by AA. CX and AA systems do not communicate very well. When AA noticed that you missed the HKG-DTW due to missed connect, their system might have rebooked you the next day. Anyway it is a moot point and you will never know and did not suffer anyway.

As stated above, your decision to choose a 2-stops reroute (with further risk of misconnect), rather than the one-stop offered by CX and arriving much earlier is a strange one. But that was your choice.
haroon145 likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 15, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I have a feeling the answer you'd get is the one that begs the fewest questions.
Mandatory blame the other party. You know Tai-Chi?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Correct. I was flying economy. I have elite status on AA but I have never flown CX before and have no status with them. Cathay is of course part of the OneWorld alliance

When in was LAX and I spoke to an AA agent to get back on they flight, I didn’t think to ask her who changed it and she didn’t voluntarily tell me who did it, if she knew.
Theoretically, a "competent" AA agent should be able to find out the answer by looking at the Sabre PNR history. If someone (or robot) from AA made the change, it will show who made the change. If CX made the change, it will show that the change was made due to a teletype (TTY) message from Amadeus (the system CX uses). This is theoretically very easy to see, but whether or not you can find a competent agent who is willing to share the information with you, I don't know.

I don't really know how it happened, but if I were to guess, it was not any automated system, but a clueless airport HKGAAgent (outsourced) who made the change.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
What proof do you have that CX changed your flight?

Your HKG-DFW was on AA and potentially AA’s computer moved you to the next day’s HKG-DFW as AA worked out you would miss the original due to the delay ex SIN.

Your HKG-LAX flight was on AA so you would likely have been under AA airport control.

I have this feeling that the delay by CX ex SIN has coloured your view.

They offered you 2 different re routes and gave you your preferred one even though it took longer and the first one they offered was shorter.

You complain about delays now which would have been mitigated by taking the UA flight.

Sure middle seat is not ideal but AA could have put you into a middle seat as well - remembering that seat allocation is not guaranteed.
+1

1. On day of departure, ticket stock doesn't matter. The operating carrier has control of the eTicket.

Sidenote: Usually if it is booked in AA number, that ticket is in AA stock; if it's booked in CX codeshare operated by AA, then it's CX stock. I feel this is more of the AA stock.

2. OP came to this forum and claimed CX changed his/her flight. He had to prioritize his seat assignments and flight credit, then he had no grounds to complain to CX staff about the overall delay of the flight that he chose. If the original rebooked itinerary also posted a delay, then you can ask for a compensation.
3. On day of departure, when CX rebooked OP to AA, CX had to give AA 24 hours to confirm the space . It is possible that CX overbooked OP or CX booked OP in LAX-DFW but AA didn't confirm the space at that time.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
3. On day of departure, when CX rebooked OP to AA, CX had to give AA 24 hours to confirm the space . It is possible that CX overbooked OP or CX booked OP in LAX-DFW but AA didn't confirm the space at that time.
This is from years ago. Now the systems are a lot more sophisticated.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
This is from years ago. Now the systems are a lot more sophisticated.

Well OP didn't mention whether he got the LAX-DFW BP. If OP already got the BP then definitely AA agents or AA auto IRROPs system rebooked OP on the next day of flight without seeing the latest PNR change by CX. Maybe not completely sync-ed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Well OP didn't mention whether he got the LAX-DFW BP. If OP already got the BP then definitely AA agents or AA auto IRROPs system rebooked OP on the next day of flight without seeing the latest PNR change by CX. Maybe not completely sync-ed.
When In Singapore, I got all my boarding passes AND seat assignments including the LAX-DFW leg. I even had them reprinted in HKG as the ones Cathay printed had non-elite "Group 7". I had an AA agent in HKG reprint them with my correct group number for my Gold status
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do I just suck it up and probably never fly Cathay again?
This.

The only issue that may be worth compensation is the 2.5 hours delay, which CX is not likely to compensated, unlike AA.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
When In Singapore, I got all my boarding passes AND seat assignments including the LAX-DFW leg. I even had them reprinted in HKG as the ones Cathay printed had non-elite "Group 7". I had an AA agent in HKG reprint them with my correct group number for my Gold status
So I'd say you've "registered" yourself with AA even when you were in HKG... And AA is flying you transpacific not CX so why would CX ever interested to touch your itinerary anymore? Even there's further delay transpacific by AA it's AA to resolve it for you further not CX

As garykung said CX should only responsible for the initial 2.5 hours delay.... Why on earth CX need to compensate you for your LAX-DFW flight change?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now the plot thickens.
You HAD been checked in by AA systems on your LAX-DFW flight and assigned a seat number. The BPs were issued by an AA agent in HKG.
Unfortunately CX operates under Amadeus and AA under Sabre. But flight control is a separate system. For AA flights, this is fully under AA management. I doubt that CX could touch it.
It's your AA app that seems to suggest a different route. You had a boarding pass in hand, and am starting to wonder if you were really removed from that LAX-DFW flight but rather the AA app was based on old information.
Anyway, you should stop flying AA as they are the one who gave you worried (99% chance).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
It's your AA app that seems to suggest a different route. You had a boarding pass in hand, and am starting to wonder if you were really removed from that LAX-DFW flight but rather the AA app was based on old information..
I think the AA mobile app was always accurate. Before boarding the flight in HKG, the AA mobile app had all my flights.

When I landed at LAX, the AA mobile app did not have the LAX-DFW flight and when I spoke to an agent in LAX, she confirmed that I was in fact not on the LAX-DFW flight anymore. She found me a new seat and issued a new boarding pass.

A few mins after, I checked the AA mobile app again and it contained the LAX-DFW flight and new seat assignment. So as far as I can tell the AA mobile app was always accurate
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. But it would have been useful if you answered whether this was a ticket issued by CX or AA. also if it was a revenue or award ticket.
I can understand your frustration, but you were offered a routing that had you land in DFW just an hour late compared to your original plan. This was a real (and costly) effort to rebook you on another airline (UA). I am sure that you are aware that delays (like that of your SIN-HKG) do happen and tons of pax miss their connections daily and do not get such good rerouting. I also understand that you are frustrated to know that you could have received your AA miles, even if flying UA..

But you accuse CX, without proof, that they change your itinerary, while in all likelihood it is AA doing. As you stated, the last one to touch your PNR and reissue AA BPs was the AA agent in HKG.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
OK. But it would have been useful if you answered whether this was a ticket issued by CX or AA. also if it was a revenue or award ticket.
It was a revenue tikcet. Now, I think from the ticket numbr I can tell the airline and this is interesting.

My ORIGINAL ticket had a ticket number that started with "001" which means it was an AA ticket if my Google search is accurate.

The new route that Cathay gave me had a ticket number that started with "160" (which also appears on my AA-issued boarding passes from HKG) so I assume that means Cathay issued a whole new ticket in Singapore.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Your interpretation seems valid to me. CX "uplifted" (in the jargon) the remaining coupons on the original ticket and issued their own in exchange, There will have been a whole heap of behind the scenes accounting as a result,
ernestnywang likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.