CX 888 YVR Stopover: No Holding Pen?

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
CX 888 YVR Stopover: No Holding Pen?

Hi All,
I'll be flying CX 888 HKG-JFK via YVR in J. I've flown this before, and don't exactly like the holding pen situation that they have set up in YVR, as I won't be able to buy some much-needed Canadian duty free. Is there enough time to clear Canadian immigration and hit the duty free shops in YVR before boarding with the rest of the YVR-JFK pax?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I am not even sure if you could clear. I took 888 back from YVR to JFK last week, and the HKG pax were all staying in a closed room. YVR-originated pax won't allow to access after they boarded the plane.

If you were allowed, I believe there is enough time (but still very tight). The immigration clears very fast at YVR, and by the time 888 boards, the security line should be very short.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
From experience there’s no-one checking BPs if you follow the YVR arrivals path on disembarkation.

Re-entering airside might be an issue as your BP only states HKG > JFK, not HKG > YVR then YVR > JFK.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
From experience there’s no-one checking BPs if you follow the YVR arrivals path on disembarkation.

Re-entering airside might be an issue as your BP only states HKG > JFK, not HKG > YVR then YVR > JFK.
And if you want to get two separate boarding pass you could ask at HKG check in counter for them to allocate you into different seat for HKGYVR and YVRJFK
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by xuukgo

And if you want to get two separate boarding pass you could ask at HKG check in counter for them to allocate you into different seat for HKGYVR and YVRJFK
Last time I tried to do this, they teared the left (bigger) portion of the YVRJFK boarding pass and only stapled the stub on the HKGYVR boarding pass. I believe this is intended to prevent people from using the YVRJFK as a standalone boarding pass.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Last time I tried to do this, they teared the left (bigger) portion of the YVRJFK boarding pass and only stapled the stub on the HKGYVR boarding pass. I believe this is intended to prevent people from using the YVRJFK as a standalone boarding pass.
Interestingly this was not the case for me. But I was given two boarding passes as I was partially upgraded for YVRJFK. I got two entire boarding passes. This was few years ago so things may change.

Another time was in ICN, the flight was ICN to HKG via TPE, I booked the ticket as ICN to HKG but at check in counter, the staff gave me two boarding passes (same seat) and two lounge invitations (ICN and TPE) and told me usually it would be just one boarding pass and she didn’t know why the system seperated into two.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by xuukgo

Interestingly this was not the case for me. But I was given two boarding passes as I was partially upgraded for YVRJFK. I got two entire boarding passes. This was few years ago so things may change.

Another time was in ICN, the flight was ICN to HKG via TPE, I booked the ticket as ICN to HKG but at check in counter, the staff gave me two boarding passes (same seat) and two lounge invitations (ICN and TPE) and told me usually it would be just one boarding pass and she didn’t know why the system seperated into two.
Mine was Nov. last year, so quite recent. For Korea / Japan - TPE - HKG flights, I believe passengers in general are allowed to use the TPE lounge if they are eligible.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
YVR-originated pax won't allow to access after they boarded the plane.

If you were allowed, I believe there is enough time (but still very tight). The immigration clears very fast at YVR, and by the time 888 boards, the security line should be very short.
What do you mean by YVR originated pax won't allow access after they boarded the plane?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

So it is possible to clear YVR immigration and board CX 888 (and maybe enjoy the CX lounge, duty free etc?)

On another note, why would it be bad for people to use the YVR/JFK boarding pass as a standalone boarding pass? I don't see any downsides to that.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by dylanypyen
So it is possible to clear YVR immigration and board CX 888 (and maybe enjoy the CX lounge, duty free etc?)
No, I mean I think CX intentionally doesn't want people to do that, so they take away the major part of the boarding pass.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Mine was Nov. last year, so quite recent. For Korea / Japan - TPE - HKG flights, I believe passengers in general are allowed to use the TPE lounge if they are eligible.
Note that all these airport restrictions has nothing to do with CX but with US government regulations which they IMPOSED on Vancouver to do.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:45 pm

What do you mean by YVR originated pax won't allow access after they boarded the plane?
Sorry for the confusion. I will reword it below:

So I was taking the 888 from YVR to JFK. We were not allowed access a locked/secured room, until the HKG-originated 888 pax boarded first in that room. I don't believe they were allowed to leave that secured room.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Note that all these airport restrictions has nothing to do with CX but with US government regulations which they IMPOSED on Vancouver to do.
Seriously?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:35 pm

Seriously?
I don't know the details, but you will get security interview for all U.S. bound flights. (Mine was at YVR last time).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I don't know the details, but you will get security interview for all U.S. bound flights. (Mine was at YVR last time).
Ah yes. The (rather pointless) security interview where they ask U.S Citizens why they’re returning to the U.S. AVESCO did it at HKG, everyone had to go through a dedicated check-in and get a sticker on the back of their passport. Where does it happen at YVR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.