Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles Award Chart Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Asia Miles Award Chart Questions

I'm trying to redeem a standard award on Cathay Pacific. My understanding is that the price is calculated by the distance between the origin and destination. Is that incorrect? For example, LAX-SYD prices as 84k in PEY (Zone F) instead of the expected 48k (Zone D), which is the added distance of all sectors.

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I suppose you are talking about one-way PEY award. It should be 84K if on CX and 48K if on QF.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I suppose you are talking about one-way PEY award. It should be 84K if on CX and 48K if on QF.
Yes, I am. So it's calculated based on the total distance of all sectors? I thought it was the distance between origin and destination regardless of connections.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by yerffej201
So it's calculated based on the total distance of all sectors?
Yes, so where (and if) you connect matters.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I thought it was the distance between origin and destination regardless of connections.
No mate. You just thought wrong.

But hey that would be interesting.....HKG-SFO-JFK-DOH-CAN for a few thousand miles...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
No mate. You just thought wrong.

But hey that would be interesting.....HKG-SFO-JFK-DOH-CAN for a few thousand miles...
I just read that here:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/all...miles-program/

Itinerary/Length/Class of Service: Los Angeles-Hong Kong-Sydney/7,488 miles/premium economy
Carrier(s): Cathay Pacific
Award Chart: Standard
Cost: 48,000 miles and $140

Because there is no stopover in the itinerary, Asia Miles prices the ticket based on the distance from origin (LAX) to destination (SYD). This means you only pay 8,000 more miles to fly Cathay Pacific premium economy compared to economy for the transpacific journey.
Curious how he got the 48k price.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:23 am

Funny he says Asiamiles is overly complicated when I always find the routing rules for the zone based award scheme (e.g. UA and AA) more complicated.

Curious how he got the 48k price.
I think it is/was a system glitch whereas the initial screen will quote the price based on the distance between point of origin and destination, but will show the correct miles in the next screen.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hello everyone,

The changes to Asia Miles got me thinking, and in particular for redemption opportunities, particularly for that of the new Zone F (7,500+ miles)

Since the cost is calculated by the sum of the distance of each sector, does this allow one to make rather creative award redemptions given that there doesn't explicitly seem to be a threshold to this award zone?

I understand that only one stopover is allowed, but would this for instance allow, say, a "one way" trip between LHR and JFK via HKG?

LHR to JFK via HKG would be ~14000 miles which is way above of 7,500 miles... and if so, it would be an interesting redemption in First Class........

Cheers
Old May 31, 2018, 3:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I understand that only one stopover is allowed, but would this for instance allow, say, a "one way" trip between LHR and JFK via HKG?

LHR to JFK via HKG would be ~14000 miles which is way above of 7,500 miles... and if so, it would be an interesting redemption in First Class........ ]
AM agents put a stop to that. They're claiming origin and stopover and final destination have to be same country https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29802880

Even if England post-Brexit becomes the 52nd state of the United States, Hong Kong will always be part of China! (at least we have to parrot that)
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by percysmith
AM agents put a stop to that. They're claiming origin and stopover and final destination have to be same country https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29802880

Even if England post-Brexit becomes the 52nd state of the United States, Hong Kong will always be part of China! (at least we have to parrot that)
Had the bottom half of your quoted image explained that "same country" rule only applies to half of the one-way case that if origin and destination is same country then stopover must be same country too? If indeed England becomes 52nd state then it will become round trip like how LHR-HKG-MAN is now considered round trip. (but you can still argue why if PVG-HKG-PEK isn't same country one way if you wish)

I have use quote tags too much recently, see terms under Flight Awards Redemption – General Conditions > 4-5.

May I ask a dumb thing: does married segment issue exists for stopover pairs?
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith

Well then, if so, I suppose a Johannesburg - Hong Kong - New York routing should be able to work then, and that's even further than LHR - HKG - JFK...
Old May 31, 2018, 5:58 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by watery
Had the bottom half of your quoted image explained that "same country" rule only applies to half of the one-way case that if origin and destination is same country then stopover must be same country too? If indeed England becomes 52nd state then it will become round trip like how LHR-HKG-MAN is now considered round trip. (but you can still argue why if PVG-HKG-PEK isn't same country one way if you wish)

I have use quote tags too much recently, see terms under Flight Awards Redemption – General Conditions > 4-5.

May I ask a dumb thing: does married segment issue exists for stopover pairs?
Hope the bottom email supercedes the top one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.