Last edit by: sxc
AusBT review:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-the-deck-lounge-hong-kong-airport
Print Wikipost

The Deck - opens 22 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just went for the first time. Lovely lounge, but far too small.

Not sure if I was there on a bad day or not, but multiple people blasting their phones on speaker or watching TV/movies with the volume cranked up. I find that annoying. Might've had to do with the fact that the lounge is just too small for the crowds. And this is a Sunday!

Crowds here so far seem to be replicating Cabin.

I think I'll stick to the Qantas lounge if looking to kill time at this side of the airport.
What time were you there? It was nice and quiet when I tried it last week from 10.45pm, although I guess may have been busier before then.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What time were you there? It was nice and quiet when I tried it last week from 10.45pm, although I guess may have been busier before then.
I was there for 30 mins from approx 1:45-2:15pm on Sunday (today).
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Just went for the first time. Lovely lounge, but far too small.

Not sure if I was there on a bad day or not, but multiple people blasting their phones on speaker or watching TV/movies with the volume cranked up. I find that annoying. Might've had to do with the fact that the lounge is just too small for the crowds. And this is a Sunday!

Crowds here so far seem to be replicating Cabin.

I think I'll stick to the Qantas lounge if looking to kill time at this side of the airport.
I also visited the lounge on a Sunday, between 2PM and 4:30PM. The inside part of the lounge is around 80% full while the 'alfresco' area is kind of deserted.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:54 pm

Not sure if I was there on a bad day or not, but multiple people blasting their phones on speaker or watching TV/movies with the volume cranked up. I find that annoying. Might've had to do with the fact that the lounge is just too small for the crowds.
Jeez I find that annoying, and nothing to do with the lounge being too small - it's to do with people being rude and inconsiderate. I've become quite comfortable with walking up to people and asking them to take their FaceTiming outside the lounge or use headphones or whatever. Sometimes I'll ask lounge staff to exact such discipline - after all and IMHO, that is part of their job.
jmail1, estnet, SW7London and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Sometimes I'll ask lounge staff to exact such discipline - after all and IMHO, that is part of their job.
I asked once in The Pier J in Dec. 2017. The lounge receptionists (including manager) were extremely reluctant to approach a guest who had been broadcasting video from his tablet. I then wrote in the comment card on board that I was not happy with how the situation was handled.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Jeez I find that annoying, and nothing to do with the lounge being too small - it's to do with people being rude and inconsiderate.
Thank you for that reminder.

If you are that couple who hogged the shower cubicles at lunchtime on Friday 6th over the busy Qingming holidays - please consider your fellow passengers!

I appreciate you are both trying to conserve water by showering together but honestly I can't imagine why you two had to take more than 20 mins! There are only a handful of showers available here at the Deck and there was a long queue of us waiting to jump in.

Felt so sorry for the poor staff who were giggling and a little confused about how to handle the situation.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Alawyer

If you are that couple who hogged the shower cubicles at lunchtime on Friday 6th over the busy Qingming holidays - please consider your fellow passengers!

I appreciate you are both trying to conserve water by showering together but honestly I can't imagine why you two had to take more than 20 mins! There are only a handful of showers available here at the Deck and there was a long queue of us waiting to jump in.

Felt so sorry for the poor staff who were giggling and a little confused about how to handle the situation.
Well they were being considerate by not taking up two stalls?

CX did encourage everyone to make time for...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:46 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Thought I'd check out the deck on my transit to Taipei.

stayed for about 5mins then left. It was way too crowded and lineups for food.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: LH HON

What's the problem with sharing shower cubicles? And twenty minutes is already not reasonable? lol?
Alawyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ckx2
What's the problem with sharing shower cubicles? And twenty minutes is already not reasonable? lol?
That's definitely a Hollywood https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ywood%20Shower

I didn't know we're only meant to have Navy showers in the lounges tho https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower
Alawyer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 am

Just dropped by The Deck today to kill 3 hrs... boy is it crowded alright. Being a firm fan favorite of The Pier, here's my 2 cents on both:

- beer selection at The Deck seems different v.s. Pier... i found tins of Hoegarden here, v.s. San Miguel at the Pier
- it's really crowded at lunch time. Arrived at 1.30pm and was #7 at the noodle bar. Tables were ~95% full. Circled the place a few times before scoring a free table
- shower stall water pressure here seems slightly lower v.s. Pier's. And the A/C seems weaker too... I came out of the shower sweating (doesn't happen @ Pier, and happens a TON at the Bridge).

I would've sauntered back over to Pier, if not for the odds of my mainland China flight being out of the Dragon (which it ended up departing from - ughhhhh).

Overall, if I've >2 hrs to kill, Pier wins hands down on space, crowd compression, shower facilities and almost everything else.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

As the local say goes, your (body part) shall be barbecued if you disturb others....... (for exactly what might have happened there)

however, if one (or two) were courtesious, do it at the pier where the demand/stall is lower
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
how much time did cx recommend? (the cabana is 90 minutes but i dont remeber the showers)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Coming back to the topic, I was at the Deck for the first (and last, at least for a while) time last week and found the food offering to be very lackluster compared to the other lounges. Granted I didn't try any because it didn't seem appealing and so can't comment on the taste, but the selection was pathetic. Drinks were also not replenished. Coupled with the fact there isn't a bar, think I will go to the Wing instead if I stay at this side of the terminal.

Last edited by PacificSunrise; Jun 1, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:26 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Coming back to the topic, I was at the Deck for the first (and last, at least for a while) time last week and found the offering to be very lackluster compared to the other lounges. Granted I didn't try any because it didn't seem appealing and so can't comment on the taste, but the selection was pathetic. Drinks were also not replenished. Coupled with the fact there isn't a bar, think I will go to the Wing instead if I stay at this side of the terminal.
I agree, The Deck was absolutely underwhelming compared to the other lounges. In fact, on my first visit to The Deck, I literally left after taking a shower there, seeing how crowded it was and how terrible the atmosphere was, and moved to (the now closed) The Cabin. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed The Cabin much more than The Deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.