Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When Your Cathay Pacific Flight Attendant Used To Work For US Airways…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/02/22/cathay-pacific-us-based-crews/

​​​​​

Blog post says that cabin crew in HK are expensive. I thought CX cabin crew were cheap compared to crew employed by overseas airlines?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Blogger has not been around much.

CX YVR base has a few caucasians working on CX. And they speak at leat one asian language. And yes, there are a few from other airlines so they'd have to be retrained to serve and be courteous the CX way.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Id thought its more like its cheaper to pay for hk accomodation (fir based crew) than us accomodation (for hk crew)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Blogger has not been around much.

CX YVR base has a few caucasians working on CX. And they speak at leat one asian language. And yes, there are a few from other airlines so they'd have to be retrained to serve and be courteous the CX way.
I've met a few of the caucasians and it's still a bit trippy when I hear them speak Cantonese to some little old lady. The YVR crews are fantastic, in fact I'd say they are better than the HKG based crews that I've had.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
I thought YVR based crew has a bad reputation on this forum.

In terms of comparing with the HK based crew, my limited experience on 888/889 (always operated by YVR crew) seems to indicate they are slightly more casual/less professional than the HK bunch. Most memorable incident is they forgot to leave my salad "defrost" on 889 so I was eating ice covered vegetables - although not sure if it was meant to be frozen or placed too close to the frozen goods by the caterer in the cart, but I had the exact same salad the following week on 845/841 also out of JFK by DO & Co and serviced by HK/mixed (non-YVR) crew and it tasted much better. However, was quite impressed that despite seldom traveling YVR routes, some crew recognized and greeted me on a flight. On another flight, the DMs sitting across from me seem to know the ISM who was faking nice a bit and obviously didn't want to chat with them much.

Overall interesting and generally friendly bunch, but again, just anecdotes and I haven't flown enough with them.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sxc
Blog post says that cabin crew in HK are expensive. I thought CX cabin crew were cheap compared to crew employed by overseas airlines?
It is true.

The main reason is these overseas airlines HKG-based crews do not have a separate pay scale. Instead, they follow the CBA from the home country. Their pays are HKD equivalent of the pay scale from the home country.

Originally Posted by kaka
Id thought its more like its cheaper to pay for hk accomodation (fir based crew) than us accomodation (for hk crew)
It is true as well.

As pointed by the blogger as well, CX limits N. America based FA, at the minimum, from operating any routes other than the route between HKG and their home base. In other word, CX has practically outsourced the N. America route back to N. America.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
This was a rehash of the same post he did a year or so ago. I remembered because i made a comment where he said
I should mention that even many of Cathay Pacific’s Hong Kong based cabin crew commute. Many of them live in the Philippines, Thailand, etc., and commute to Hong Kong for work.
Because most Filipino Crew I know are actually HK base and live in HK and visit the Philippine from time to time but mostly they are in HK.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:31 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I feel like the blogger's post is more to nitpick US than anything else.

Tbh, I've flown with a bunch of US-based CX crews, and they are generally fantastic and on par (and sometimes better than) with their HKG counterparts.

As stated above, there are a good number of Caucasian CX cabin crew members-they just have to meet the requirement of speaking an Asian language.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc

Originally Posted by garykung
It is true.

The main reason is these overseas airlines HKG-based crews do not have a separate pay scale. Instead, they follow the CBA from the home country. Their pays are HKD equivalent of the pay scale from the home country.
Which part is true - that the CX HK crew are cheap or that they are expensive? From what I understood, the pay of the HK cabin crew is low, but by having based crew, they save on the accommodation costs because CX owns the hotel in HK they stay in.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Which part is true - that the CX HK crew are cheap or that they are expensive? From what I understood, the pay of the HK cabin crew is low, but by having based crew, they save on the accommodation costs because CX owns the hotel in HK they stay in.
perhaps the part from the blogger saying hk based crew (for non-cx airline) is expensive.

brackets added by me
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:29 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
I too can also attest to the fact that NA crews are really good; in fact, I can even say I prefer the service of YVR-based crew over their counterparts. However, given the disparity of YVR based vs HK based crew from my flights, it may have just been off days for the crews of those flights
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:13 pm
Suspended

+1 to the london crew. they have truely improved since joining.
OTOH, some HK-based crew are to be desired. considering i got yelled at once and CX didnt bother after i complained.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:05 pm

CX needs to return to hiring crew from South East Asia/ India/NE Asia
HK crew are too entitled

The best crew I ever had were Japanese
For some reason an AKL-HKG flight was running with all Japanese crew ( 1 HKer and 1 Indian - rest all Japanese- they even did all the announcements in Japanese as well as Cantonese and Hindi.... yes it was ridiculous...- every time there was turbulence we would get 4 announcements)

Very sincere service however. It felt like the Cathay I first flew way back in 2003

Worst crew- HK crew- too much attitude
kaka and royng like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kachjc
HK crew are too entitled

For some reason an AKL-HKG flight was running with all Japanese crew ( 1 HKer and 1 Indian - rest all Japanese- they even did all the announcements in Japanese as well as Cantonese and Hindi.... yes it was ridiculous...- every time there was turbulence we would get 4 announcements)

Very sincere service however. It felt like the Cathay I first flew way back in 2003

and theres also the putonghua speaking hk crew. Thats who shouted at me for “having just attended me”.
some canto hk crew isnt much better too- too entitled+1.

tw, japan, thai, otger se asia crew is much missed.
royng likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kachjc
HK crew are too entitled

maybe some big japan groups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.