Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MNL Lounge Temporary Closure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I do hope that the AC does get better after because it's only Feb and the temp during the afternoon is like being in a hotbox. I can only imagine the peak of summer heat.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:26 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Originally Posted by fairhsa
...spent some 8 years or so in disputes with the Government while the terminal stood empty and near complete. So it's always been a bit of a work-in-progress! But compared to Terminal 1 - paradise.
Personally while T1 is old, i would still prefer it over T3. T1 is short walk from gate to baggage to exit. And the hawkers, (from taxi to maybe even DVDs? hehe) are not found at the arrival section. Exiting T3 feels like going through a wet market.

Sorry if this is an off topic - but what is the current mindset regarding MNL as an airport?

Will the setup be a two airport scenario Manila is to Clark just like Hanada is to Narita? I understand that a "mega consortium" which includes now Changi is looking are renovating MNL (i can't imagine how much more with space and a two runway being the issue) while Clark just recently got sent out for a formal bid instead of a unsolicited bid / swiss challenge by 5J's mother company the Gokongwei group?

Will it be a three airport setup scenario as i believe San Miguel is still pursuing Bulacan? or will it simply take over MNL? Ramon Ang i understand is very very close to Duterte.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by cartman7110
Personally while T1 is old, i would still prefer it over T3. T1 is short walk from gate to baggage to exit. And the hawkers, (from taxi to maybe even DVDs? hehe) are not found at the arrival section. Exiting T3 feels like going through a wet market.

Sorry if this is an off topic - but what is the current mindset regarding MNL as an airport?

Will the setup be a two airport scenario Manila is to Clark just like Hanada is to Narita? I understand that a "mega consortium" which includes now Changi is looking are renovating MNL (i can't imagine how much more with space and a two runway being the issue) while Clark just recently got sent out for a formal bid instead of a unsolicited bid / swiss challenge by 5J's mother company the Gokongwei group?

Will it be a three airport setup scenario as i believe San Miguel is still pursuing Bulacan? or will it simply take over MNL? Ramon Ang i understand is very very close to Duterte.

Any thoughts?
Well the politics of this decision is so muddled that one can only really guess... one party says this and another party says something else within the same government. The speaker of the house is threatening to cancel 5J's franchise if it doesn't move flights to CRK to relieve the congestion in MNL (doubt it will actually happen since this will earn the ire of the traveling 'masa'). I can only imagine the inconvenience this will cause 5J passengers who hold connecting flights (mostly OFWs) to provinces if suddenly they have an unexpected airport transfer .

I don't really look into the politics of the PH so I can't give an accurate prediction of how this unpredictable government will act, but personally I think MNL has reached it's limit because of poor future planning and corruption. There simply isn't the space to expand without significant costs and displacement within the area.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
There was a proposal set forth late last year by a consortium lead by the country's top businessmen including Lucio Tan (PAL) Gokongwei Family (Cebu Pacific), Ayala Corporation, Aboitiz, Andrew Tan, Metro Pacific and Gotianun (Filinvesnt) to rehabilitate NAIA . If this is accepted and pushes through I think NAIA will still be the country's main gateway.

I think not unless the country will be able to ease traffic out of Metro Manila to SMC's proposal for a airport in Bulacan or the transfer of flights to Clark will be a bit of a challenge.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by blum81
lol I thought I was the only one that found it hot in the lounge...
It's actually weird that the Club Manila lounge which CX will use during the closure has better air-conditioning considering it's a contract lounge. I'm not sure if it's because it is less crowded.

I have access to both and if I just want to proverbially cool my heels, I'd go to Club Manila...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbamejia
It's actually weird that the Club Manila lounge which CX will use during the closure has better air-conditioning considering it's a contract lounge. I'm not sure if it's because it is less crowded.

I have access to both and if I just want to proverbially cool my heels, I'd go to Club Manila...
CX will use Pacific Club Lounge, I think Club Manila is in Terminal 1.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
CX will use Pacific Club Lounge, I think Club Manila is in Terminal 1.
My bad... I meant Pacific Club. The aircon is cooler, but I don't know if it was just because the CX lounge had more people.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
To those that have traveled out of MNL lately, has CX provided a more firm timeline on when the lounge would re-open? Am flying out on March 21 and was hoping it would be open by then.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmatthew
To those that have traveled out of MNL lately, has CX provided a more firm timeline on when the lounge would re-open? Am flying out on March 21 and was hoping it would be open by then.
The website still says Mid-March, however I heard the target was on the 17th. I'm flying out on the 16th so I'll let you guys know if it will open the next day.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I'm going today and back Wed so can update on what i see then. I hate the Pacific Club with a passion - .... food and over crowded.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:54 pm

I was flying SQ the other week, and chatted with one of the CX check-in supervisors and they said they have a target of within the week as they want to open up and iron out any issues before the Holy Week. Hopefully it does get done by March since I do have a trip planned for the 1st week of April.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Was flying out of MNL yesterday. The interim lounge is horrible (F&B, seating, overcrowding). In fact I went to another lounge which accepted Priority Pass on the other end and that was slightly better IMHO.

Spoke to the CX staff in the interim lounge and said it will absolutely be ready before Easter but the 17 March target will likely be missed...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
The website still says Mid-March, however I heard the target was on the 17th. I'm flying out on the 16th so I'll let you guys know if it will open the next day.
Cool! Thanks @FlyPointyEnd

I'd rather just stay at the Starbucks at Terminal 3 if the lounge isn't operating by the time I fly haha.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Cool! Thanks @FlyPointyEnd

I'd rather just stay at the Starbucks at Terminal 3 if the lounge isn't operating by the time I fly haha.
There's a Starbucks at T3? Is it before immigration upstairs?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by blum81
There's a Starbucks at T3? Is it before immigration upstairs?
It’s across the CX checkin counter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.