Wiki Posts
Search

Marco polo club from green to silver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:39 am
cgo
Original Poster

Marco polo club from green to silver

so i joined marco polo club april of 2017. This means that i will have until 31 march 2018 to accummulate points to be upgraded or retained.

I have 270points as of yesterday, february. I was pleasantly surprised that my profile was changed to a silver member right now, one month in advanced, and despite lacking 30 points.

I do have plans of travelling to be able to reach 300, but i havent booked it yet.

Is cathay known to do this kind of upgrades in the marco polo club?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Congrats! There are a few early upgrade anecdotes all over this forum similar to yours. I have not been so lucky, even at 290 mark and 580 mark for green to silver and silver to gold respectively. In both cases, i had preboked travels which would have resulted in club points balance beyond 300 and 600 before expiry of the tier year. I made sure to call in upon completing the flight that took me to beyond 300 and 600 to reset the counter. The excess club points are of course, forfeited. Perhaps it could be a function of other variables, like proportion of club points earned on CX vs OW partners?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:59 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I've had this happened to me twice.
I was approx 50pts away from reaching gold and I was automatically upgraded to Gold. I did have a long haul flight already booked but I was confused why I was upgraded.
Second time it happened I was 15pts away from renewing my gold. This time I didn't have any pre-booked trips.

Always a nice surprise. I'm not going to question it if it happens again in the future. I'm hoping it happens for my diamond upgrade as I'll be about 50pts short of upgrading to diamond.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by blum81
I've had this happened to me twice.
I was approx 50pts away from reaching gold and I was automatically upgraded to Gold. I did have a long haul flight already booked but I was confused why I was upgraded.
Second time it happened I was 15pts away from renewing my gold. This time I didn't have any pre-booked trips.

Always a nice surprise. I'm not going to question it if it happens again in the future. I'm hoping it happens for my diamond upgrade as I'll be about 50pts short of upgrading to diamond.
Seems case by case. I'm 85 points short of getting Gold right now with a lot of flights booked. I guess they're going to make my work my way to gold instead of giving it to me.

There is another thread on early renewals but I had hear that early upgrades are generally not done.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
If you have a lot of flights booked you should have no problem getting approved for an extension for your membership year. There are plenty of anecdotal stories about members asking for an extension only to find that they've been given the desired status short of points required.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:35 pm
cgo
Original Poster

Yeah, out of the 270 points, i had 245 points with CX and 25 points with JL. Although I must say, I am always on the edge with JL, they take too much time to credit points/mileage. There is always this lingering thought if the points get through or not (especially during the time when the one who booked my ticket misspelled my name)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but the exact same thing happened to me.
​​​​​​
I originally am Green with 295 CPs, 5 short of the upgrade requirement, but I did this on purpose as I wanted to earn my CPs asap when MH had low J fares, so I calculated so I would have enough points that a single HKG-TPE sector would fullfil the points needed. But when I opened my app today, I found that I was already Silver. I doubled check through CX website and sure enough I was Silver.

Although in most cases this is a welcome guesture, I originally planned to advance to Silver by the end of the year, and not earlier, as I have plans to travel on non-OW carriers for these few months.

I sent email to MPC asking if it was only a error in the system, but after reading this thread, I'm worried that my MPC Silver has now been activated, making the membership year start earlier than I planned.

(Sorry if I sound like an ungrateful person, just not all good-intentioned surprises are beneficial to the end user)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sozee
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but the exact same thing happened to me.
(Sorry if I sound like an ungrateful person, just not all good-intentioned surprises are beneficial to the end user)
Don't worry, I had the same thought.

My year extended a month earlier than I expected because they upgraded me to Gold early for "my continued support to Cathay Pacific". I only realised when I was doing a club points run on MH, and apparently I was already Gold before I checked in.

All good though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.