Giving lai see to cabin crew

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fishball
Some notoriety we've gained here folks https://www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/1645491652195735 which a comment seems to suggest gifts under ~USD20 are acceptable
gift vs 20usd worth of cash???
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
You guys need to get a grip, It's not like passengers give laisee year round. While I understand that accepting cash as tips which could be construted as bribes is definitely not acceptable for CX, I would expect most HK companies to have some flexibility during this season besides I doubt Cabin crew would be walking round with laisee "donation boxes" after tray collection demanding laisee from passengers. Lastly although I'm not exactly familiar with how much people put in laisee in HK, I don't think random passengers would put more than HK$100-200 in them.
flubber and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
In case anyone is interested to see what the reaction of cabin crew receiving lai see was recently, here's my story. I was traveling SIN to HKG in J, and after settling into the seat and offered a welcome drink, I gave a couple of lai see to two of the cabin crew. Both of them were delighted and thrilled. I then gave another one to the ISM who was very happy to receive it. When I gave one to a SP about halfway through the flight, she declined graciously and said cabin crew were not allowed to accept any lai see. I said it was just a small token, and really, it is for good luck! Again she declined, saying that I could donate cash to the "Change For Good" program. I wished her a happy new year anyway, and she came by to my seat later to apologise for not accepting the lai see! Talk about being polite.

And for those who think it is bribery, each lai see contained less than $100 HKD.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
We were on CX to HKG over CNY- got a packaged, ‘local’ snack from the departure airport - passed that on to the ISM, with a ‘For the team- Kung Hei Fat Choy!’, ‘and, for the excellent flight that we’re going to have’ - the second part with a wink.

Pretty certain that it was opened and shared- since we got thank yous from some crew that we didn’t otherwise interact with throughout the flight.

PS: while this wasn’t ex-SIN, Bak Kwa and Pandan cake tend to draw genuine smiles every.time.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:13 pm

If it is under USD20, can accept;
if over USD20, can accept, but needs approval and register;
over USD65, cannot accept
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gear down
If it is under USD20, can accept;
if over USD20, can accept, but needs approval and register;
over USD65, cannot accept
how times have changed.

soon they will accept 20 and then 50usd on a flight to flight basis around the year and that would get you preferential treatment.

i aknowledge the thoughts of serving over festive times and think a box of chocolates is where the line stands.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

how times have changed.

soon they will accept 20 and then 50usd on a flight to flight basis around the year and that would get you preferential treatment.

i aknowledge the thoughts of serving over festive times and think a box of chocolates is where the line stands.
yes, a box of chocolates is more than enough! Or donate to UNICEF
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gear down
yes, a box of chocolates is more than enough! Or donate to UNICEF
i dont buy the donate to someelse on behalf of someone ever. at least chocolates they get to benefit somewhat.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:16 am

Noticed this post over at hkitalk that had an old service brochure : https://www.hkitalk.net/HKiTalk2/thr...13191-1-1.html

NO TIPPING PLEASE

Cathay Pacific Airways personnel are not permitted to accept gratuities of any kind. Offering a tip will only cause embarrassment. Their reward is the knowledge that they have helped to make your flight more enjoyable.
kaka and tentseller like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Noticed this post over at hkitalk that had an old service brochure : https://www.hkitalk.net/HKiTalk2/thr...13191-1-1.html

NO TIPPING PLEASE

Cathay Pacific Airways personnel are not permitted to accept gratuities of any kind. Offering a tip will only cause embarrassment. Their reward is the knowledge that they have helped to make your flight more enjoyable.
"this is so old-school and we are now in the 21st century"
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Love the Photo of the first CX jet flying over Taikoo dockyards.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

NO TIPPING PLEASE

Lai See is not a tip. And besides, the amounts of money people are talking about in this thread are ludicrous. Most of the lai see given out in HK is like HKD20-50 (ie about 3-6 USD) not 20-65!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Lai See is not a tip. And besides, the amounts of money people are talking about in this thread are ludicrous. Most of the lai see given out in HK is like HKD20-50 (ie about 3-6 USD) not 20-65!
back before cx’s standards dropped the ball, hardly anyone dares to take the laisee offered.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Kind of makes me sad to think people would report stuff about Lai See, when you gave them to the crew you might get slight preferential treatment but it’s only one flight. Unless you are the kind of road warriors who fly every 2nd day on the same route and class.
Rules and law are there, common sense must apply.
Was the purpose of the lai see during CNY was to get preferential treatment, if yes, I would join to bother ICAC, if not just move on. There are load of stuff happening in hk that people are breaking the law but no one reporting or reported and nothing is being done.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wongo
Kind of makes me sad to think people would report stuff about Lai See, when you gave them to the crew you might get slight preferential treatment but it’s only one flight. Unless you are the kind of road warriors who fly every 2nd day on the same route and class.
Rules and law are there, common sense must apply.
Was the purpose of the lai see during CNY was to get preferential treatment, if yes, I would join to bother ICAC, if not just move on. There are load of stuff happening in hk that people are breaking the law but no one reporting or reported and nothing is being done.
yeh just dont do it. clearly cx is against this for a long time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.