Wiki Posts
Search

Giving lai see to cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Giving lai see to cabin crew

I’m not sure if this has been covered before (and I can’t seem to find anything with regards to my question) - does anyone know if giving lai see to cabin crew is allowed / ok / good etiquette? I’ll be on CX884 on J, flying on the first day of CNY and I thought it will be a nice gesture. Will cabin crew be allowed to keep the lai see?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I have the impression they arent allowed to take it in the past. Dunno what happens now when there more chinese influence. Maybe they now think its ok.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:00 am

I don't think they are allowed to get red pockets because it has cash. However, I usually get them a box of sweets or even some Starbucks coffee card during holiday seasons.

Cash is perhaps not allowed as a gift and I don't want the F/As to get in troubles, if the purser is being a very strict one.

Carfield
kaka and royng like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Carfield
I don't think they are allowed to get red pockets because it has cash. However, I usually get them a box of sweets or even some Starbucks coffee card during holiday seasons.

Cash is perhaps not allowed as a gift and I don't want the F/As to get in troubles, if the purser is being a very strict one.

Carfield
Agree, not just the purser - they may be reported by passengers too. They can be in big trouble, and potentially even the giver can be in trouble.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
You don't really have to do that as most likely the ISM will already have done
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:31 pm

I will report anyone giving cash/red packets to a flight attendant as it may construe a bribe for a different/enhanced service. Don't think the ICAC will look upon this lightly either.

I haven't seen anyone done so either. Don't think it is customary for flight attendants, unlike security guards or the tea lady at work.
royng likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i wouldnt if i were you. most hk corp policy say if they must accept to save face for clients, they will accept it but go to gift register etc and eventually get donated. so they have more admin task and not have the money, i think its Only nuisance.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Got it - no lai see packets for the cabin crew!
@Carfield - thanks for the tip. Chocolates always go well
royng likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I will report anyone giving cash/red packets to a flight attendant as it may construe a bribe for a different/enhanced service. Don't think the ICAC will look upon this lightly either.

I haven't seen anyone done so either. Don't think it is customary for flight attendants, unlike security guards or the tea lady at work.
OT.
While this never cross my mind, but ICAC for giving lei see to cabin crew? really?
Bribe really happens when you demand/expect a return... Bribe: persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.
I give lei see during new year for different service industries including but not limited to doorman, especially morning tea... and hope they will provide better service. Airline not accepting gift is more an airline rule, than breaking any law. Lei See is more like a culture, of course, depends on sum...
If so, ANY goods including chocolate will be treated the same.

I haven't watched HK drama for quite some time, maybe I need to catch up.....

To be clear, I think giving chocolates/sweet to cabin crew is more practical (and less headache) , and did see them gladly accepted it from a passenger in the past. And I did not report them, instead, the flight crew usually happy and benefiting the entire cabin (me included).

Last edited by Fly2Where; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum

I bet you're fun at parties.
christep, flubber, kaka and 17 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Well, i heard of incidents where they will have to do their best to reject. (pretty much boss says no, and they cannot take it. The admin work for reporting is probably so bad its easier if they refuse taking it)
Basically CX/Swire has an order where they cannot accept laisees period then crew do not have the authorization to take it. (As opposed to say Maxims where they *can* accept laisees for ard 15 days during LNY - or some places they can probably take laisees/tips around the year)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
OT.
While this never cross my mind, but ICAC for giving lei see to cabin crew? really?
Bribe really happens when you demand/expect a return... Bribe: persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.
I give lei see during new year for different service industries including but not limited to doorman, especially morning tea... and hope they will provide better service. Airline not accepting gift is more an airline rule, than breaking any law. Lei See is more like a culture, of course, depends on sum...
If so, ANY goods including chocolate will be treated the same.

I haven't watched HK drama for quite some time, maybe I need to catch up.....

To be clear, I think giving chocolates/sweet to cabin crew is more practical (and less headache) , and did see them gladly accepted it from a passenger in the past. And I did not report them, instead, the flight crew usually happy and benefiting the entire cabin (me included).
whether or not ICAC (on the CC end) gets involved is based on 1 question - Does the employer allow such monies to be received. (Pretty much the ex-TVB Stephen Chan case) and I can pretty much say CX said no.

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I bet you're fun at parties.
It would be an interesting day (not...) when CC can do this avoiding CX' radar. nothing much to do with OP on sth CX clearly says it cannot be done.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 13, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
believe there's some policies somewhere stating the maximum amount they can receive before turning down / reporting to company.
IMO, HK$20 is something that's very reasonable as a kind gesture, at the same time won't sound off any radar for potential bribery.
flubber likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
OT.

I'm with you here on this one. I really don't see lai see packets as bribes. I consider giving lai see as a gesture of goodwill and it is also lucky for me to give them out. Given that I will be on a HKG-outbound flight I'd think it's a nice gesture for the cabin crew who will have to miss CNY family dinners and reunions for their work.

Well, in case someone like @hkskyline is lurking around on my flight I shall be prudent and refrain from giving lai see packets. Chocolates sound good, but lest they are also deemed as bribes I'd go for egg tarts
fairhsa likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
It was always my habit to give out Starbucks cards - in the States, I would use that as small denomination Christmas gifts for service industry folks and in Asia, I think it is more acceptable than giving lai see (IMO). Although I would love to see the ICAC case of the HKD20 lai see.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.