Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-HND F award availability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

HKG-HND F award availability?

I see that CX has F seats on HKG-HND (morning) and can be booked on the website. However, I can't seem to find any award availability for this route.

Does CX ever release F seats for award redemptions on this route? I gather that CX does not have any other intra-Asia routes that regularly feature F class.

Thank you.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
F class redemption Yes. On both CX548 and CX549. But you have to redeem it when it opens (300days).
PEK and HND are the only CX intra-Asia F now.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. It looks like it is easier to book HKG-PEK in F (as both CX and KA operate F on that routes).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by pochi
F class redemption Yes. On both CX548 and CX549. But you have to redeem it when it opens (300days).
PEK and HND are the only CX intra-Asia F now.
360 days, as Choice
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by noobynoob
Thank you. It looks like it is easier to book HKG-PEK in F (as both CX and KA operate F on that routes).
Just keep in mind that KA F seats are physically the same as CX longhaul J seats~
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
I have flown 2 times on CX548 F and 3 times on CX549 F on redemption.
Tailored is your friend.
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
A month in advance I was able to book with BA Avios SIN-HKG-HND J+F but separately HKG-HND never worked.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I flew this one earlier this year. Also saw availability for 2020 when I last looked. It's sparse but it's there

Last edited by thebigben; Nov 25, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
HKG-HND / HND-HKG is generally not open to partner redemptions.
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:29 pm

Is it worth of booking HKG-HND F?

Saw this thread and thinking of booking HKG-HND F for my parents, but wonder is it worth, compared to JAL long haul F. Just want to get others’ thoughts. Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kevin.cash
Saw this thread and thinking of booking HKG-HND F for my parents, but wonder is it worth, compared to JAL long haul F. Just want to get others’ thoughts. Thanks.
If you search, you'll find threads dedicated to it.

Nobody can really tell you if something is worth it or not. Since everyone has different amounts of miles and money, as well as what they value in life.

What we can tell you is what to expect. Although like I said above, you're going to get far more info searching instead of a drive by post here where you'll likely get a few responses. (There are hundreds of posts about HND service on other threads.)

In summary F class HND to HKG is better if you're looking for the "I don't fly F often/ever" experience. TO Tokyo is quite underwhelming catering wise; it's breakfast service, essentially longhaul J breakfast served in nice F cutlery and playing. Perfectly civilized if you regularly pay for F, but if you're looking to carefully redeem points on wow factor experiences, HKG to TYO in F is not it.

FROM Tokyo has the beautiful Kaiseki course, which is wow factor in looks. Although taste wise it is a far far cry from quality Japanese food, which is fair enough given I think it's prepped in Hong Kong and has been flying around in a metal tube at 35k feet all day. From Tokyo also has a proper F dinner course, and usually an F bling appetizer as well, like something with crab or lobster or meat. Plus it has the full wine and liquor selection, although Champagne is usually Deutz Blanc de Blanc instead of Krug, which I know is a big deal to folks who don't fly F much. (In practice I doubt many of them could figure out which is which blind, especially if they weren't told what brands were to be served beforehand.) But CX does stock all the other wine, which isn't saying a whole lot but they do include usually their second-tier bling Bordeaux. I can't recall if F bedding is on board or not; I've never tried to use it.

Inevitably the flight was way better back in the days 5+ years ago it was 747. But still good enough and very civilized. The best way to/from Tokyo for sure if the timings work for you. If you're searching, note fyi the F flights used to go to Narita 7+ years ago, and also CX used to offer F to Osaka, which was nearly identical service to the current one a day HND F offering.
flubber and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think you summed it up beautifully.

No bedding. OR PJs or amenity kit of course.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
If you search, you'll find threads dedicated to it.

Nobody can really tell you if something is worth it or not. Since everyone has different amounts of miles and money, as well as what they value in life.

What we can tell you is what to expect. Although like I said above, you're going to get far more info searching instead of a drive by post here where you'll likely get a few responses. (There are hundreds of posts about HND service on other threads.)

In summary F class HND to HKG is better if you're looking for the "I don't fly F often/ever" experience. TO Tokyo is quite underwhelming catering wise; it's breakfast service, essentially longhaul J breakfast served in nice F cutlery and playing. Perfectly civilized if you regularly pay for F, but if you're looking to carefully redeem points on wow factor experiences, HKG to TYO in F is not it.

FROM Tokyo has the beautiful Kaiseki course, which is wow factor in looks. Although taste wise it is a far far cry from quality Japanese food, which is fair enough given I think it's prepped in Hong Kong and has been flying around in a metal tube at 35k feet all day. From Tokyo also has a proper F dinner course, and usually an F bling appetizer as well, like something with crab or lobster or meat. Plus it has the full wine and liquor selection, although Champagne is usually Deutz Blanc de Blanc instead of Krug, which I know is a big deal to folks who don't fly F much. (In practice I doubt many of them could figure out which is which blind, especially if they weren't told what brands were to be served beforehand.) But CX does stock all the other wine, which isn't saying a whole lot but they do include usually their second-tier bling Bordeaux. I can't recall if F bedding is on board or not; I've never tried to use it.

Inevitably the flight was way better back in the days 5+ years ago it was 747. But still good enough and very civilized. The best way to/from Tokyo for sure if the timings work for you. If you're searching, note fyi the F flights used to go to Narita 7+ years ago, and also CX used to offer F to Osaka, which was nearly identical service to the current one a day HND F offering.
Thanks for the great details.

I only have limited experience on CX & JL long haul F and do not know what to expect for short haul. You do have some good points for me. Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevin.cash
Thank you. I was looking at BA to use Avios and couldn't find any HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on CX. Guess I'll try to go somewhere else - maybe S.Korea.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
no Krug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.