S18 CX aircraft use

Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
S18 CX aircraft use

Hi all,

Do pardon if this has been discussed before..

After following up on CX aircraft changes this upcoming summer season which will see plenty of OZ routes getting the A359, some regional routes seem to have something like a fix 330/773 schedule. One good example is the HKGSIN route.

May i asked if these schedules are fixed, or the 330/773 combi are just generic schedules that CX publishes for easy aircraft changes?

Hope it wont be that way though... The 773 hard product is quite a major push, especially for economy..

thanks for all your inputs and advice in advance!

Brgds,
jeff
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:02 am

Was looking for some CX intra-Asia flights for August 2018, and noticed the following routes have some 359 or 77W scheduled:-

BKK 359
TPE 359
KIX 359
SGN 359
SUB 77W
MNL 359

But given CXs liking for messing around with their schedules these will probably not stay...
​​​
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:06 am

SIN also has some 359 scheduled too...
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
To the poster above, that's par for the course. Nothing out of ordinary there...all those destinations have frequently seen longhaul metal in the past.

​​​​​To the OP: your fear is correct. CX swaps aircraft regionally and doesn't seem to mind the impact on its image.

The fleet mix is always changing, so it's possible CX may firm things in the future. But as of now, even though CX has a ton of longhaul birds doing regional work, they still operate two subfleets of regional 777s and another subfleet of regional A333s. And these birds *could* get swapped into your longhaul-rostered regional flight without notice. Basically CX will shrug.

​​​​​​I don't see a solution unless CX totally ditches the regional configs, which doesn't appear in the cards. One rumor that would help is if CX transferred all its 33Ps (regional A333s) to KA. But it still wouldn't solve the problem, just reduce it. As long as CX has regional birds out there and you're flying regionally - except for one flight a day to/from HND - you're at risk.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHITMIMI
SIN also has some 359 scheduled too...
thank you @WHITMIMI.. I was looking but did not see any 359 until May, and no 77W at all.. Such a far cry from the current season.. Is the CX web the best place to check the schedules? If not appreciate your advice..

brgds,
jeff
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
To the poster above, that's par for the course. Nothing out of ordinary there...all those destinations have frequently seen longhaul metal in the past.

​​​​​To the OP: your fear is correct. CX swaps aircraft regionally and doesn't seem to mind the impact on its image.

The fleet mix is always changing, so it's possible CX may firm things in the future. But as of now, even though CX has a ton of longhaul birds doing regional work, they still operate two subfleets of regional 777s and another subfleet of regional A333s. And these birds *could* get swapped into your longhaul-rostered regional flight without notice. Basically CX will shrug.

​​​​​​I don't see a solution unless CX totally ditches the regional configs, which doesn't appear in the cards. One rumor that would help is if CX transferred all its 33Ps (regional A333s) to KA. But it still wouldn't solve the problem, just reduce it. As long as CX has regional birds out there and you're flying regionally - except for one flight a day to/from HND - you're at risk.
​​​​​​
@QRC3288 thank you.. guess the A333 isnt that bad, but i will avoid the 773 at all cost... at least when swaps happen they gonna be upgrades to their LH equipment..

i usually have flexible schedules, and i have to say there were only 2 changes for my previous 12 regional flights in the past two months. Just trying to choose the better aircraft if possible so as not to pay any nasty rebooking fees..

brgds,
jeff

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Agreed with all the above regarding the commonly unpredictable aircraft change of CX. I had experience last minute change of 359 -> 77W & 333 (long haul) -> 772, but no change for 773 even when I booked it a year ago. It's just pure lotttery on regional sectors.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:16 pm

With all the initial A359s now delivered and the A35Ks about to start they are finally getting some slack in the fleet. We might finally see a little more consistency, and in fact i think we already do. In my experience at least Singapore sees fewer aircraft swaps than it did 2 or 3 years ago.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLGO
Agreed with all the above regarding the commonly unpredictable aircraft change of CX. I had experience last minute change of 359 -> 77W & 333 (long haul) -> 772, but no change for 773 even when I booked it a year ago. It's just pure lotttery on regional sectors.
any change from scheduled 773 is an upgrade i guess? 396 Y is just too difficult to downgauge.. The loaded schedule would just make people like you and me to make less informed decisions when we have the flexibility.

Brgds,
jeff
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Microtat

any change from scheduled 773 is an upgrade i guess? 396 Y is just too difficult to downgauge.. The loaded schedule would just make people like you and me to make less informed decisions when we have the flexibility.

Brgds,
jeff
Yes, can't be worse than 773 with CX. Just wanted to say how bad luck it was to have those long-haul planes switched, yet the regional one just stick around until the end.

In conclusion, just choose the flight that fit you most and ignore the aircraft type. Or trying booking as late as possible, say within 2-3 weeks, to minimise the chance of aircraft change. Either way do expect changes to happen.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Put it this way:

While it's a lottery, you are still much more likely to get the aircraft scheduled than not. Particularly on certain flights. Those "mostly predictable" long-haul planes + destinations include A359 to SIN, a little less to TPE, and a little less to SGN and MNL (but still fairly reliable), and less still to BKK; B77W to TPE (better) and BKK (worse); 33E/K to KIX, PEK and PVG. There are other as well I'm likely missing.

One frustrating fact is booking k a flight for the equipment - especially A359 for WiFi - and then it swaps away. The other frustrating fact is the obvious massive product gulf between the long-haul and regional. CX is a "victim" of having so many long-haul equipped planes. But I still don't buy the argument "look at a long-haul bird as a lucky upgrade." Because I think it's economic bunk...I pay my own way and make decisions accordingly. I don't have a special corporate rate, either, unfortunately so generally what we find on the website or travel agent is what we pay. I am going down to Singapore later this week. Flying SQ in long-haul J (guaranteed product, unlike CX) for this very reason. CX's loss.

To others above, I hate 772 equally as much as 773. Not sure why the special vitriol is saved just for 773. J class has 42 seats in each no? They're BOTH bad!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Put it this way:

While it's a lottery, you are still much more likely to get the aircraft scheduled than not. Particularly on certain flights. Those "mostly predictable" long-haul planes + destinations include A359 to SIN, a little less to TPE, and a little less to SGN and MNL (but still fairly reliable), and less still to BKK; B77W to TPE (better) and BKK (worse); 33E/K to KIX, PEK and PVG. There are other as well I'm likely missing.

One frustrating fact is booking k a flight for the equipment - especially A359 for WiFi - and then it swaps away. The other frustrating fact is the obvious massive product gulf between the long-haul and regional. CX is a "victim" of having so many long-haul equipped planes. But I still don't buy the argument "look at a long-haul bird as a lucky upgrade." Because I think it's economic bunk...I pay my own way and make decisions accordingly. I don't have a special corporate rate, either, unfortunately so generally what we find on the website or travel agent is what we pay. I am going down to Singapore later this week. Flying SQ in long-haul J (guaranteed product, unlike CX) for this very reason. CX's loss.

To others above, I hate 772 equally as much as 773. Not sure why the special vitriol is saved just for 773. J class has 42 seats in each no? They're BOTH bad!
Maybe i don’t have high expectations, but the regional J works well for me on the SIN runs.. the seat works great if i do not intend to sleep.. otherwise it does fine for a short nap..

As to why the 773 was singled out is due to the economy seats.. theres nothing good i can say about the shell seats except for being terribly ugly and uncomfortable.. maybe i was lucky as i have not tried that on the A333..

one of my flight hkgsin got an equipment change from the 333 to 359. They might be really adjusting their schedules.. now i see alot more 359s in the S18 schedule..

brgds,
jeff
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I find MNL fairly reliable with the equipment scheduled for it up to a month out. I've only ever been swapped once from LH to regional but this is a 1.5-2 hour flight so no big deal. I find the SIN-HKG route a peculiar one not to have at least 1 guaranteed LH rotation (like HND) given that SQ competes with them on this sector with guaranteed LH products.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I find the SIN-HKG route a peculiar one not to have at least 1 guaranteed LH rotation (like HND) given that SQ competes with them on this sector with guaranteed LH products.
On a bad day, I think SIN gets at least 1 or 2 long-haul aircraft, usually more. Like you said, it's just hard to pinpoint which flights they'll be on. Of late, the A359 has been on the route quite consistently, especially on the morning departures ex-HKG.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by SilverChris
On a bad day, I think SIN gets at least 1 or 2 long-haul aircraft, usually more. Like you said, it's just hard to pinpoint which flights they'll be on.
1-2 out of I believe 7 daily services is not a good batting average, and not being able to pinpoint which flight it will be is the main gripe of a lot of CX regulars who want to take CX to SIN but would rather not chance it because they want a LH product in J. This is the missed opportunity that QRC3288 pointed out. If one or two flight rotations are guaranteed the LH without swaps, this would help attract premium cabin bookings. For comparison SQ has at least 3 flights with guaranteed LH products (SQ 2 which goes on to SFO, and SQ 860 on the A380 [which turns to SQ 856 in April]), then there's one with an A350 (SQ 856 which turns to SQ 860 in April).

Though truthfully, if the design of CX's regional product was better then this 'first world problem' wouldn't really exist. Personally, getting SQ's regional as a last minute swap is not as bad as getting CX's regional, there's no comparison.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.