Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-connecting in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Self-connecting in HKG

I get in on MH 072 and fly on to SYD about 10 hours later on CX 101, which is on a separate ticket. Both flights are in business class. I'm hoping to get my luggage checked in all the way at the start of the first segment of my MH flight, in BOM (BOM-KUL-HKG, on one ticket), but if that isn't possible, are there any tips and tricks for doing an airside transit in HKG (or picking up bags and checking right back in again)? I've heard that they might not let me into the secure area more than three or four hours before the flight, so hoping to not have to go landside and rather lounge-hop airside and get some work done. Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by L_D_M
I get in on MH 072 and fly on to SYD about 10 hours later on CX 101, which is on a separate ticket. Both flights are in business class. I'm hoping to get my luggage checked in all the way at the start of the first segment of my MH flight, in BOM (BOM-KUL-HKG, on one ticket), but if that isn't possible, are there any tips and tricks for doing an airside transit in HKG (or picking up bags and checking right back in again)? I've heard that they might not let me into the secure area more than three or four hours before the flight, so hoping to not have to go landside and rather lounge-hop airside and get some work done. Thanks.
There are transfer stations on the arrival level in HKG. Ask CX is they can intercept and re-tag your luggage there. OTOH, assuming you don't need a visa to enter HKG (if you need a visa and not have one,and MH cannot check you through, they will not let you board at the origin), it will probably take less than an hour entering landside, get your luggage, re-check-in and return to airside (sometimes you may have to wait at the transfer desk for a long while for CX to locate and re-tag your luggage).
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
1. I believe MH still through-check bags on separate tickets. See Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets, but I don't know if it's up-to-date.
2. CX no longer helps to re-tag bag at HKG transit desk.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, so I'm going to have to hope MH tag my bags through, but an hour or so picking up luggage and checking in again doesn't sound too bad. I don't need a visa for Hong Kong, but as an Indian passport holder I need to register online ahead of arrival, which I plan on doing.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:11 pm

I've heard that they might not let me into the secure area more than three or four hours before the flight, so hoping to not have to go landside and rather lounge-hop airside and get some work done. Thanks.
for completeness, this is incorrect. For CX in Hkg, you can checkin any time durimg the day of the flight and get into the secured area.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
You will be fine

1/ MH still through check onto OW (bring printout of their website - not sure how helpful BOM are though if they will want to feign ignorance)

2/ Even if they don't - 10hrs is time aplenty. Could even go into town with that transit time (i would do that, especially if you havent been to HKG before, and say leave 5 hours for lounge hopping).
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Be aware though that PAR for Indian passport holders in HK is by no means automatic - forums such as Trip Advisor are full of rejection tales, particularly if you are youngish, male and travelling alone. I wouldn't rely on getting that. And if you don't get it, and MH won't check your bags through then you have a bit of a problem.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm not looking to go into the city this time. I have been, a couple of years ago, when Indian passport holders could enter visa free, and didn't have any trouble. Haven't been since they moved to PAR.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended

But if you need to go get your luggage and check it in again then you will need a PAR or a visa. Otherwise you will be flying on without it.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat
I will also be self-transferring on separate tickets (for avios booking reasons) at Hong Kong next week - from BA to Cathay Pacific. I take it I have to collect bags and re-check-in, as BA won't interline them and Cathay are no longer re-tagging bags?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Yes, although in the reverse direction you'd be fine, because Cathay does still interline bags.
KathyMarie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.