FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Missing Middle Name on Ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1890512-missing-middle-name-ticket.html)

sanfran767 Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Missing Middle Name on Ticket

Can someone please advise on passport checks in HKG? My agent booked my ticket without my middle name, and while CX offers name updates for free, they say my agent has the itinerary "locked" and they can't update it. My agent wants to charge me close to USD$50 to reissue the ticket with my middle name (what I think should be a free service). I'm nervous about the 1 hour connection I have in HKG being affected by their oversight.

How much would I be risking things by not paying to have the name changed ahead of time? I'm not familiar with how itineraries are "locked" but does anyone know if my ticket can be changed by the airline at checkin to include my middle name?

nolounge Jan 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran767 (Post 29339011)
Can someone please advise on passport checks in HKG? My agent booked my ticket without my middle name, and while CX offers name updates for free, they say my agent has the itinerary "locked" and they can't update it. My agent wants to charge me close to USD$50 to reissue the ticket with my middle name (what I think should be a free service). I'm nervous about the 1 hour connection I have in HKG being affected by their oversight.

How much would I be risking things by not paying to have the name changed ahead of time? I'm not familiar with how itineraries are "locked" but does anyone know if my ticket can be changed by the airline at checkin to include my middle name?

Where did you hear that "CX offer name updates for free"??
Any changes will result in a reissue fee - which is the $50 your TA quoted you. It will be up to you and your TA to determine who's fault it was that your middle name wasn't included and if they TA will swallow that cost.

:D! Jan 26, 2018 6:13 am

Originally Posted by sanfran767 (Post 29339011)

Despite some people on this forum saying that the name needs to match exactly, I still think it doesn't matter that a middle name is omitted, at least if you only have western names on your passport.

I don't have any problems with leaving out my middle name on any airline tickets including CX. But my Chinese names are not on my passports, only in characters on my HKID, without the "English" transliteration.

cxfan1960 Jan 26, 2018 8:39 am

I moved the above posts from "Priority security in HKG" as the discussion is off-topic to the original thread.

carrotjuice Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am

You don’t need to have the ticket reissued. Just call CX and have your full name added as a note to your tickets. Have done it before.

percysmith Jan 27, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 29345371)
You don’t need to have the ticket reissued. Just call CX and have your full name added as a note to your tickets. Have done it before.

How current? Later than the AHQ instruction https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1842409-earn-ffp-use-ffp-b-status-benefits-not-allowed-now-probably-still-allowed.html ?

carrotjuice Jan 27, 2018 11:31 am

Just a week ago. But it was for an infant, not sure if that made a difference.

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29345793)
How current? Later than the AHQ instruction https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l-allowed.html ?

ermen Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm

On CX today.
No middle name (my normal practice).
No issues whatsoever.
What is your itinerary (some have said itineraries to the US could be more strict).

Mauibaby2008 Jan 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Almost guaranteed you’ll be ok without a middle name on the ticket

But if it only cost $50 to change a ticket I would consider yourself lucky. Nobody is under any obligation to change a name on your ticket for you at no cost ..

wtcmor Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

No issues for me at Xmas however if it's a US flight would get it changed.

hermanc Jan 27, 2018 6:18 pm

I've done this a few times. Never had any Issues. Last time was two weeks ago.

APeverell Jan 28, 2018 5:24 am

Full name on passport = Last, First and Middle
Name on ticket and FFP = First and Last
Have been flying to many different countries, including the US international and domestic, without any issue for more than two decades. There was only one time at TPE, CX ground agent questioned that name on my ticket did not match full name on passport. Told her not to worry, that's the middle name. It seems that a lot of people in Taiwan (or Chinese speakers in general?) do not have the concept of the "middle name"?

This also applies to GE/TSA Pre, where my profile name matches my full name on passport. I do get TSA Pre fine when the reservation name only shows my First and Last.

2Tall4Y Jan 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Just flew CX with no middle name (AA award and didn’t transfer). No issues other than no online check-in. My full name is on my passport.

fairhsa Jan 28, 2018 11:53 pm

I flew for years with only my first and last name on my tickets. Recently (about 2-3 months ago) my travel agent told me that it's now unwise to do so and I should make sure my middle name is on all my tickets. She specifically said it was a "new" problem. That said, I suspect it's most likely fine and I wouldn't pay to change it. But just get it right next time.

TravelwhileyouEat Jan 29, 2018 12:01 am

You shouldn't have a problem with this (but there is always a chance if the agent you get is in a bad mood or is a stickler), but the lesson to learn here is to always make sure the name of your ticket matches your passport.