FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Pacific Special Meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1890353-cathay-pacific-special-meals.html)

nancypants Oct 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad (Post 29419296)
AVML dinner on a recent SIN-HKG flight. The sticker read: "Carrot Peas Lauki Methi Rice" and was mostly inedible. I have no idea what were the round thing on the left and the desert (?) on the right. Very poor but I had a great vegetarian dish made to order in the Noodle Bar at the lounge so no worries.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6e23e931ee.jpg

appreciate i’m Late to this party but in case anyone is curious, the desert (2nd small tray at the top with white stuff in it) looks suspiciously like rasmalai, which is absolutely LUSH! If I knew this came with special meals I would order only for this one item!!

jckl Oct 14, 2018 3:52 am

Originally Posted by synthkeys (Post 30311909)
I'm booked on CX865 JFK-YVR-HKG (formerly CX889) in J next week. I'm thinking about choosing Hindu (non-vegetarian) meal to mix it up a bit. I've heard that CX catering usually does a good job on that meal. However, with CX865 there's actually two dinner services, leaving JFK and leaving YVR. Is it possible to select special meal for just one of the flights? If not, is it appropriate to reject the special meal and ask for a standard meal instead? Most likely, I might just reject one of the meals anyway and have a mid-flight snack instead.

Has anyone had recent experience with the Hindu meal on LH out of the US?

Where is the crew going to find a normal meal tray for you if you decide to not have your HNML? Trays are loaded as per the number of passengers on board, normally there are no extra.

Late night departures, trays are loaded at 90% ratio. That is, 10% of passengers will not be catered for from the start.

If you ditch your special meal, that means either some other passenger will be without a meal, or they will have to take your special meal tray. How is that fair?

If you have no intention to eat you special meal, don't order it.

royng Oct 18, 2018 11:32 am

MOML MOSLEM Muslim meal

1 Attachment(s)
MOML MOSLEM Muslim meal
CX715 HKG-SIN (8pm departure)
2018 Oct
  • cut fruits;
  • whole wheat bun;
  • pan-fried fish with couscous (fish's condiment taste could not be determined);
  • assorted veggie in tomato sauce: diced potato, zucchini, green beans

Nile_US Oct 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 30312316)
I don't think you can select the special meal for only one segment of the whole flight. I'm quite sure that the FAs will oblige to your request of having a standard meal in place of your special one, though it may not come to be especially charitable given it was loaded as your request.

FWIW, I've had the Hindu non-vegetarian meal out of HKG, and it was really bad, but then again, food from HKG doesn't always have the best reputation.

I think you can select a special meal for a segment. I have done so on their web.

I have been traveling TPAC (5-6 times in last about 7 months) and in my experience, HKG-LAX flight has decent AVML (Hindu Vgetarian meal). I eat all kinds of food, just like the tasty ones better. If you are not used to Indian food, you may not like it as much.

By the way, on CX flights, Hindu vegetarian option is certainly a lot better than just Hindu option. YMMV.

Nile_US Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 30312421)

appreciate i’m Late to this party but in case anyone is curious, the desert (2nd small tray at the top with white stuff in it) looks suspiciously like rasmalai, which is absolutely LUSH! If I knew this came with special meals I would order only for this one item!!

You never know. I got Rasgullas this Saturday on HKG-LAX flight. And it was amazing! I like these surprises. :-)

Nile_US Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad (Post 29419296)
AVML dinner on a recent SIN-HKG flight. The sticker read: "Carrot Peas Lauki Methi Rice" and was mostly inedible. I have no idea what were the round thing on the left and the desert (?) on the right. Very poor but I had a great vegetarian dish made to order in the Noodle Bar at the lounge so no worries.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6e23e931ee.jpg

The round thing on the left is called 'Dahi Vada'. The 'dahi' is yogurt/curd. And vada is a deep fried donut kind of a thing (not sweet), made from lentils. It can actually be good, but in my experience the flour is not well 'done' for that stuff on flights and that 'vada' is never as good as it can be.

The main course doen't look interesting though. :-(

Cambo Nov 4, 2018 3:04 am

RAW NAN

CX615, HKG-BKK, Hindu non-vegetarian, without me explicitly asking to have the whole meal stack, including the NAN, in the oven ("let's see, if things go correct now").

I got the cold NAN served separately in an obviously make-shift alu-wrap (it didn't close all around).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...323acee49c.jpg

AND the NAN was RAW :(

(I did make a picture of the raw NAN, though my el cheapo camera sometimes screws up and the picture is unreadable).

The meal itself was OK, tasting a bit odd, though also with interesting flavors. Though after heating up they left the meal cooling down for to long.

Not good, this time.

Next time, I'll retake my responsibility as the chef of my own Hindu meal and instruct to get this right :D

morninglemon Nov 5, 2018 1:15 pm

I requested low-calorie meals going JFK-HKG. For dinner, I got a slab of steamed salmon, no seasoning, with three boiled baby potatoes, no seasoning. Wheat roll. Dessert was the fruit salad, salad course was another fruit salad.
Breakfast was a piece of egg foam with no seasoning, with a side of a half of a plum tomato, steamed, and three mushrooms, also steamed. No seasoning. Wheat roll and a fruit salad. I will never request a special meal on CX again.

Cambo Nov 5, 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by morninglemon (Post 30396634)
I requested low-calorie meals going JFK-HKG. For dinner, I got a slab of steamed salmon, no seasoning, with three boiled baby potatoes, no seasoning. Wheat roll. Dessert was the fruit salad, salad course was another fruit salad.
Breakfast was a piece of egg foam with no seasoning, with a side of a half of a plum tomato, steamed, and three mushrooms, also steamed. No seasoning. Wheat roll and a fruit salad. I will never request a special meal on CX again.

The special meals are there for religious or dietary reasons. Not to give you a "better tasting" meal.

The simple fact that the Hindu non-veg is usually of an excellent quality and taste as well as suitable for a general public, does not change that.

AmD950 Nov 6, 2018 10:53 am

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6849de9fdf.jpg

VLML, CX702 on Business. Looks like Vomitus, Taste like Vomitus.

morninglemon Nov 6, 2018 1:17 pm

I requested the low-cal meals for dietary reasons, not to get a better tasting meal. But just because a meal is requested for dietary reasons doesn't mean it should taste like nothing, which these did. Anyone who is on a restricted diet knows that the food is a big enough problem on its own, and making it taste inedible only magnifies the suffering.

Cambo Nov 6, 2018 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by morninglemon (Post 30400845)
I requested the low-cal meals for dietary reasons, not to get a better tasting meal. But just because a meal is requested for dietary reasons doesn't mean it should taste like nothing, which these did. Anyone who is on a restricted diet knows that the food is a big enough problem on its own, and making it taste inedible only magnifies the suffering.

Old style CX meals are known for being "somewhat" bland. Pepper & Salt are on request and then you get a huge amount of it.
And with a low-cal diet, sauces and baked stuff (ie those items that bring taste to a meal) are (in general) out of the question due to the high amount of cals it brings.
Herbs would be nice, though the old style normal CX meals neither do get that (or only very limited).

The salad course could have been better I think, for example, by using pure lemon as a dressing on small cut raw carrots with beet root and onions or so. Add pepper and it tastes good.

With the new style CX menus, the herbs usage is significantly more interesting, so to say, so let us hope, the low-cal meal does get improved to.

Nile_US Nov 9, 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 30397923)
The special meals are there for religious or dietary reasons. Not to give you a "better tasting" meal..

Says who? Do they require religious/health reasons for me to select one of the choices? Do I have to be Hindu to select hindu meal? The special meal options are there because they are options if one wants to pick from. And it is quite reasonable to expect a meal to be good.

Nile_US Nov 9, 2018 5:14 pm

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...30ad8f4c00.jpg
AVML

On my recent flight from HKG to CEB. The palak paneer (green-at right) was not great. Too much palak (spinach) and not much taste anyway. The lentils were ok.

Cambo Nov 9, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nile_US (Post 30413455)
Says who?

IATA $6.1.5: Special Meals

Do they require religious/health reasons for me to select one of the choices? Do I have to be Hindu to select hindu meal?

NO & NO, requiring that, would imply discrimination and a violation of privacy & confidentiality (you don't have to out your religion).

The special meal options are there because they are options if one wants to pick from.

No, see above, it's mandatory for airlines to become acknowledged as an airline.

And it is quite reasonable to expect a meal to be good.

Yes, though that aspect is (I think significantly more) violated for regular meals :D