FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Pacific Special Meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1890353-cathay-pacific-special-meals.html)

24left Jan 31, 2018 5:30 pm

@frenzie01

Your thread title did not specify if this thread was for special meals in J or all cabins.

This thread already exists

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...meals-j-2.html

Perhaps the mods can merge it all into one thread

DragonSoul Jan 31, 2018 9:06 pm

The best special meal (VLML) I had on CX (Y) comprised 6 seeded grapes, which were commandeered from J. I was told how lucky I was to have even those as meal service in J was over. :eek: It was actually the only meal I had on that trip with CX, as nothing had been loaded for the return flight - so I got nothing. Yeah, I don't fly CX for this and other reasons.

Cambo Feb 1, 2018 10:15 am

Special meals are there to fulfill special dietary or religious requirements. Not to provide a better or more tasteful meal.

That said, when choosing the Hindu non-vegetarian meal, you end up in the India cooking area, where it would be dammed difficult to screw up a meal, so to say. On short legs, I booked the Hindu non-vegetarian meal several times now and it never disappointed me. Unless it's not your thing, Indian food would be a good idea, simply because it appeals to many people.

For my upcoming leg, I booked the all-seafood option. I am looking forward to the result.

nnanlno Feb 1, 2018 7:51 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cc98e955c6.jpg

Breakfast in YYZ <> HKG
I ordered low fat meals in Y for all of YYZ>HKG>DPS and return recently. For YYZ to HKG and HKG to YYZ both times the entree was a plain steamed chicken breast, lightly salted, along with some sort of vegetable that I can't remember. Salad became a fruit bowl. No dessert per se, except for the ice cream that gets distributed separately. The breakfast was a perfectly hockey puck shaped looking egg white along with roasted tomato and asparagus. The egg white tasted a bit oily for a low fat meal, imo.

For HKG to DPS (and same thing return), the entree was a very yummy, well sized steamed grouper filet also along with some tomato and the likes. Came with fruit bowl and no dessert with tray as well.

One thing I'd like to add. The dinner roll with Low Fat meal is that it's always a whole wheat (or multi grain?) roll instead of white bread, which I actually found tastier, and less rough.

I've only taken a picture of the breakfast (was too amazed with the perfectly shaped egg white. At first I thought it was a steamed bun), and didn't snap pictures of the other ones.

franco80k Feb 9, 2018 6:46 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...924170e6a2.jpg
VGML@CX536 (HKG>NGO), 4-Dec-2017
(Icecream was served separately)

CommittedLurker Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I find the Hindu Vegetarian Meal on CX J Class to be garbage. SQ generally does a better job in Y.

The food out of HKG is the same as SQ Y, while out of LAX/SFO, it is totally inedible.

KA ex HKG (to India !) is a step below.

I have been on about 30 flights HKG-SFO/LAX in about 5-6 years, and they keep serving the same exact entree for breakfast.

They just don't care. CX meets my flight schedule requirements, the J Class seat is comfortable, and I'm able to collect miles on AA Advantage. Other than that, I really don't find anything great about them.

frenzie01 Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by franco80k (Post 29397823)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...924170e6a2.jpg
VGML@CX536 (HKG>NGO), 4-Dec-2017
(Icecream was served separately)

That looks nice! Would be happy with that.

Innocent Abroad Feb 15, 2018 5:53 am

AVML dinner on a recent SIN-HKG flight. The sticker read: "Carrot Peas Lauki Methi Rice" and was mostly inedible. I have no idea what were the round thing on the left and the desert (?) on the right. Very poor but I had a great vegetarian dish made to order in the Noodle Bar at the lounge so no worries.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6e23e931ee.jpg

kaffir76 Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Mystery app.

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad (Post 29419296)
AVML dinner on a recent SIN-HKG flight. The sticker read: "Carrot Peas Lauki Methi Rice" and was mostly inedible. I have no idea what were the round thing on the left and the desert (?) on the right. Very poor but I had a great vegetarian dish made to order in the Noodle Bar at the lounge so no worries.

Sorry to hear about your meal experience on board.
Did u take a bite of the appetizer & yet u still could not tell what it was?
The dessert looks like some sort of pudding, I think.
Are you a vegetarian/vegan?

I always order the LSML (low sodium/salt special meal) so I'm quite used to pretty boring meals on board.
However if the main meal service has ice creme for dessert then I'd ask the FA for one after they are done distributing it to everyone.
There's always extra ;)

Glad that u got something suitable at the lounge at HKG - it's awesome esp. the Pier.
Oh yeah, & I always pack a snack or a light meal from the hotel or the airport when I travel, (esp. in long haul Y)

Innocent Abroad Feb 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 29465944)
Sorry to hear about your meal experience on board.
Did u take a bite of the appetizer & yet u still could not tell what it was?
The dessert looks like some sort of pudding, I think.
Are you a vegetarian/vegan?

I always order the LSML (low sodium/salt special meal) so I'm quite used to pretty boring meals on board.
However if the main meal service has ice creme for dessert then I'd ask the FA for one after they are done distributing it to everyone.
There's always extra ;)

Glad that u got something suitable at the lounge at HKG - it's awesome esp. the Pier.
Oh yeah, & I always pack a snack or a light meal from the hotel or the airport when I travel, (esp. in long haul Y)

Yes, I'm vegetarian. The lounge I was referring to was the new CX lounge at SIN T4, which is excellent and as I wrote they prepared for me a vegetarian dish at the Noodle Bar.

The problem I have with ice cream on board is that it is almost always chocolate (on any airline, not only CX) and I'm allergic to cocoa :(

kaffir76 Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Interesting meals

Originally Posted by nnanlno (Post 29369444)
Breakfast in YYZ <> HKG
I ordered low fat meals in Y for all of YYZ>HKG>DPS and return recently. For YYZ to HKG and HKG to YYZ both times the entree was a plain steamed chicken breast, lightly salted, along with some sort of vegetable that I can't remember. Salad became a fruit bowl. No dessert per se, except for the ice cream that gets distributed separately. The breakfast was a perfectly hockey puck shaped looking egg white along with roasted tomato and asparagus. The egg white tasted a bit oily for a low fat meal, imo.
For HKG to DPS (and same thing return), the entree was a very yummy, well sized steamed grouper filet also along with some tomato and the likes.
Came with fruit bowl and no dessert with tray as well.
One thing I'd like to add. The dinner roll with Low Fat meal is that it's always a whole wheat (or multi grain?) roll instead of white bread, which I actually found tastier, and less rough.
I've only taken a picture of the breakfast (was too amazed with the perfectly shaped egg white. At first I thought it was a steamed bun), and didn't snap pictures of the other ones.

How was the breakfast? I have stopped eating eggs & breakfast in general on airplanes as it just tastes too funky/yucky.
I've got a trip this summer HKGYYZ on AC, & I wonder if they use the same caterers as CX?
+1 on the whole wheat / multi grain roll - I much prefer that to the white roll ^
The grouper filet sounds delicious, how did u know that it was grouper?
I wished more SPML would have fish as an option instead of the usual chicken option.
I know for a fact that the SFML on TG is almost always a cream based seafood pasta both in Y and J & the LSML is usually plain boiled chicken breast with rice & overcooked spinach. Sometimes u might get lucky & get the salmon with potatoes but it's not very often!

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 29367085)
Special meals are there to fulfill special dietary or religious requirements. Not to provide a better or more tasteful meal.
That said, when choosing the Hindu non-vegetarian meal, you end up in the India cooking area, where it would be dammed difficult to screw up a meal, so to say.
On short legs, I booked the Hindu non-vegetarian meal several times now and it never disappointed me.
Unless it's not your thing, Indian food would be a good idea, simply because it appeals to many people.
For my upcoming leg, I booked the all-seafood option. I am looking forward to the result.

You think so? I would think the spices in the meal would not go down so well when one is traveling 35,000 ft in the air.
I've not ordered it before either as a main meal option or SPML.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 29354405)
Tried KSML (Kosher Meal) on TPE-HKG once in Y on a "refreshment" flight. It was horrible.

The only instance where I've seen a pax order the KSML was because she was Muslim & the airline did not cater a Muslim special meal ex-HKG (shockingly this was on MH J). Besides that, I can't think of any reason one would order the KSML unless of course, they were Jewish.

Thanks everyone for the pics. I'll be sure to post mine soon after my flights.

kaffir76 Feb 27, 2018 2:41 pm

SPML in Y & PEY

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 29364290)
@frenzie01
Your thread title did not specify if this thread was for special meals in J or all cabins.
This thread already exists
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...meals-j-2.html
Perhaps the mods can merge it all into one thread

Just a heads up - the link that u posted was referencing a particular SPML meal choice (or rather the lack of an extra option) in J & the tone of that particular thread (especially at the beginning) is the very reason why I don't enjoy reading FT as much as I used to.

Also, I've noticed that since u last posted in Apr 2017, no one else has contributed to the thread.
I'm guessing that most pax in J don't order the SPML as they would prefer to select from the in-flight menu as SPML can sometimes be quite bland & boring.

We can keep this thread separate as a place to post SPML pics in Y & PEY.
The key to this thread would be to post pics of the meals, & of course friendly discussion & useful advice on what to order etc.
I think that'll be helpful to other travelers flying in the back of the bus ;)

Jamoldo Feb 28, 2018 2:04 am

Very shameless plug

But a few years ago, in my foodblog I covered nearly every special meal CX has (except the baby meal which catering would not allow despite my protestations and the kosher meal which I had on BA).

Link is below.

Yummy Hong Kong: Special Meals on Airlines - is the first post

Hopefully a useful data point for some!

Cheers

LoveHateRelationship Feb 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo (Post 29467969)
But a few years ago, in my foodblog I covered nearly every special meal CX has (except the baby meal which catering would not allow despite my protestations and the kosher meal which I had on BA).

Link is below.

Yummy Hong Kong: Special Meals on Airlines - is the first post

Hopefully a useful data point for some!

Cheers

Funny, I actually found your site when I was trying to see what the low lactose meal was on CX. You are the only person (accordingly to google image search) that has taken a picture of this meal.

KathyMarie Mar 11, 2018 6:22 am

Low lactose J meals

Here are the low lactose meals I had from HKG to AKL in J last month.