Transitting in PVG

Old Jan 25, 18, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Transitting in PVG

Might have to transit in PVG, not for a turnaround, but transitting from JL to CX flight on one ticket.

I read here that PVG is not really for transitting and that passengers have to clear immigration, go to landside and then clear immigration and security again. Is that so?

What about luggage? That will be tagged through, right?

Thank you.
Old Jan 25, 18, 4:38 am

It is down to the airline pair at PVG if there is airside transfer. But since JL is at T1 and CX/KA is at T2 I strongly doubt it is eligible so I think you will need to clear immigration, take your luggage, go to T2 and depart as a regular departing passengers.
Old Jan 25, 18, 9:10 am

In OP's case, yes, different terminals = no airside transit facility.

I find transit in China to be unreliable, even where facilities theoretically exist.

I did transfers through PVG Terminal 2 twice recently. In both instances, the transit desk was unstaffed. There were signs directing all passengers, including those in transit, landside through immigration. I did not have checked baggage so can't comment on how that would work.

On a side note, the No.77 China Eastern x Plaza Premium lounge is a really nice space - preferable to the dated CX lounge.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
You have to pass immigration, pick up your bags, go through customs, walk to T1, check in your bags, pass customs, pass immigration, pass security ...
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I've just confirmed (not sure what his FT handle is) that this info is current as of date.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Might have to transit in PVG, not for a turnaround, but transitting from JL to CX flight on one ticket.

I read here that PVG is not really for transitting and that passengers have to clear immigration, go to landside and then clear immigration and security again. Is that so?

What about luggage? That will be tagged through, right?

Thank you.
Have you done this as yet?

I may have to do this later this year and I am not looking forward to it. [HND-(JL)-xPVG-(CX)-HKG] - I have 2 hours transit time.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

No need to do this transit as changed itinerary. Thank you.
Old Jul 12, 18, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
No need to do this transit as changed itinerary. ..
Thankyou ... I'm looking to change myself as all the indications are such a connection is at best a pain and at worst impractical.
Old Dec 26, 18, 9:16 am

JAL CTS international connections desk (in domestic terminal) can only tag my bags as far as PVG

Even tho my BP was issued to as far as HKG

One unexpected advantage of the break tho was I was allowed to goshow an earlier PVG flight (KA809 --> KA897)
Old Dec 26, 18, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
do you know if there is a an airside corridor that one can use if bags tagged through and onward BP issued?
Old Dec 26, 18, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by ermen View Post
do you know if there is a an airside corridor that one can use if bags tagged through and onward BP issued?
If there was I didn't find it...bear in mind I am a HRP holder, PTH speaker and I read simplified Chinese enough to work there.
(I joked I do not speak Shanghainese but I don't think that's a major impediment transitting PVG...)

There was a transit exit, which I see filled with foreigners. My wife asked if we should head through that. I said we shouldn't, that looked like TWOV. Even if we can get through that exit on HRPs we will be refused passage through that point because our departure is T2.

Even if it existed, it will have to be an airside bus rather than a corridor.
It was a solid 10 min walk min from T1 to T2, between two buildings (15 since we were towing luggage)

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 26, 18 at 10:11 pm
Old Dec 27, 18, 2:52 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
If there was I didn't find it...bear in mind I am a HRP holder, PTH speaker and I read simplified Chinese enough to work there.
(I joked I do not speak Shanghainese but I don't think that's a major impediment transitting PVG...)

There was a transit exit, which I see filled with foreigners. My wife asked if we should head through that. I said we shouldn't, that looked like TWOV. Even if we can get through that exit on HRPs we will be refused passage through that point because our departure is T2.

Even if it existed, it will have to be an airside bus rather than a corridor.
It was a solid 10 min walk min from T1 to T2, between two buildings (15 since we were towing luggage)
T1 and T2 no connection
Only customer in T1 who travel with MU/MU code share are eligable for transit counter
(Since JV, JL & MU are located in T1)

offical PVG/SHA website for transit procedure
http://www.shanghaiairport.com/en/cj...225640021.html
Old Dec 27, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by pochi View Post
T1 and T2 no connection
Only customer in T1 who travel with MU/MU code share are eligable for transit counter
(Since JV, JL & MU are located in T1)

offical PVG/SHA website for transit procedure
Shanghai Airport (Group) Limited
Yep. Did it two months ago on MU, very easy and pain free. Did have to go thru security once, but the pat down by the pretty female Chinese security agent made it all worthwhile.
BTW, 10x easier than PEK, which was a real hassle, with long walks, two passport controls with lines, security, etc. travelling on Air China.
Old Dec 27, 18, 3:11 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
Yep. Did it two months ago on MU, very easy and pain free. Did have to go thru security once, but the pat down by the pretty female Chinese security agent made it all worthwhile.
BTW, 10x easier than PEK, which was a real hassle, with long walks, two passport controls with lines, security, etc. travelling on Air China.
transit is a nightmare in China's airport
Even MU/FM in SHA/PVG
CA in PEK
CZ in CAN
3U in CTU
ZH in SZX

NIGHTMARE even is their hub
Old Dec 27, 18, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pochi View Post
transit is a nightmare in China's airport
Even MU/FM in SHA/PVG
CA in PEK
CZ in CAN
3U in CTU
ZH in SZX

NIGHTMARE even is their hub
It's certainly NOT a nightmare if you don't change terminals.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 27, 18 at 5:35 am Reason: NOT
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
It's certainly NOT a nightmare if you don't change terminals.
No politics in the below, you know me.

However I find the transit experience still crying for improvement
- I have a HRP. I can imagine the poor sods in the TWOV queue (doing a genuine transit and not trying to engineer a transit into China)
--- even that's not perfect, our e-Channels needed to be manually released (strange, my HRP works in KMG and Lohu e-channels since replacement)
- not being able to send bags airside is a downer
--- some of the more prolifigate shoppers of my travelling friends worry about buying too much for PRC (even if okay for HK) (it's the reverse of the HK milk powder restriction yuropflyer railed about)
--- for me it was the useless time wasted queuing for an unnecessary customs inspection
- PRC airports are still the only airports where I am guaranteed to set off the metal detector despite emptying my pockets and taking off my belt

This compared to on my way to Japan I had to transit Taipei...admittedly it was the same terminal (actually the same plane) but there was no baggage issues there (they don't even do much of a docs check)

Well at least:
- enough walkways. It certainly wasn't the worst tow I had to do
- no 25,000 JPY taxis like HND-NRT on a peak day
- adequate waiting areas, unlike BOM
- the connection is not an overnight, unlike DOH - I do not need to fight for a bench

Would I do it again? Probably won't get the opportunity to anyway. Maybe a cheap MU-MU ticket is the only case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: