Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz

Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
You bought a CX business class ticket not a CX lie flat bed.

There are many reasons why they swap aircraft on a daily basis, and most likely it was needed for a long haul flight and so rather than cancel or delay your flight they swapped for a 777 or 330 for an ontime J experience. By the way there was a chance it could have been swapped for a flat bed version of 777/330 so would you still have been disappointed on missing out on the 350?

Still I hope you got to enjoy the lie flat bed on your A350 flight from North America, as from this thread you’ll know the only way to guarantee flatbed business or first class is to book a long haul flight.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
You live you learn.

EF or having equipment "loaded" in the schedule is irrelevant. Occasionally the bloggers seem to imply you can predict it too (writing trip reviews and saying they picked this and that flight for the product) don't help either. The reality is CX has always, for the decade I've been flying swapped regionally except the flights to/from HND, and prior NRT.

Personally, the equipment swaps regionally drive me nuts. I've moved most my Singapore business to SQ as a result.

I still fly CX a lot. But I know they don't protect the product regionally and buy accordingly. It's a lot easier once you don't expect it. But they certainly don't owe anything to you since they loaded it months in advance. It's just live and learn. I think they are dumb to do it but they don't seem to share my view.

Search around here for threads about people not getting regional F. They are abundant. Same situation. We also have a wiki Google doc with info about which routes have guaranteed longhaul J. See the wiki.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
I was on KA HKG-NKG morning flight two weeks ago. It was originally shown as A330 with F, so they set aside a few rows of J as Y, and they let me and my two friends reserving those J seats. But the joy was gone as they switched to a two-class A330. Felt disappointed, but understood
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Those seats should be sold as First https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ling-idea.html
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhyq
as from this thread you’ll know the only way to guarantee flatbed business or first class is to book a long haul flight.
Flying CX, that is. CX is behind only TG in swapping crappy regional aircraft in place of the premium seat they purported to sell you.

Just because they do it all the time doesn't mean it's okay.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying CX, that is. CX is behind only TG in swapping crappy regional aircraft in place of the premium seat they purported to sell you.

As noted above, CX details the regional business product on its website. If you get more than that, it's a bonus.

I'm not saying that buying CX regional business class is worth it. But CX isn't lying or misleading you if you end up in a regional business seat.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sxc
As noted above, CX details the regional business product on its website. If you get more than that, it's a bonus.

I'm not saying that buying CX regional business class is worth it. But CX isn't lying or misleading you if you end up in a regional business seat.
Exactly, it is all very clear for regional routes. It is interesting to observe that if people get more than advertised once, they come to expect that every time. It can't be easy running a service company these days
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
By this logic they should only have long-haul configured planes. But key is flexibility - disruptions happen daily with planes going tech, weather delays, crew going out of hours and what not. If they do not have the flexibility to swap around, would you rather they cancel flights? - It's as if they are swapping around just for fun or to annoy you...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
We recently changed a ticket from paid Y to paid J (not a redemption) to ensure my pregnant wife could lie down on an upcoming flight, despite being a fairly short 3-3.5 hours. Just noticed now that CX have swapped the A350 for a regionally configured A330.

I've had numerous aircraft swaps on regional CX routes in the past and normally I don't really care. However this time we paid extra (for 2x tickets) to ensure we got lie-flat seats and I'm pretty disappointed to see they swapped the aircraft. Does anyone know our chances of being put on a different departure the same day (there's availability in the J cabin on every single flight at this stage), despite no availability in our booking class?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
By this logic they should only have long-haul configured planes. But key is flexibility - disruptions happen daily with planes going tech, weather delays, crew going out of hours and what not. If they do not have the flexibility to swap around, would you rather they cancel flights? - It's as if they are swapping around just for fun or to annoy you...
Other carriers manage not to do this on a regular basis. You will see no similar thread in the SQ forum, for example. Similarly, all three US legacies have dedicated subfleets for their premium t-cons and swaps to non lie-flat aircraft are quite rare.

I've never understood the apologist mentality. There's a difference between understanding airline ops and blindly accepting unnecessarily passenger unfriendly policies.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Other carriers manage not to do this on a regular basis. You will see no similar thread in the SQ forum, for example. Similarly, all three US legacies have dedicated subfleets for their premium t-cons and swaps to non lie-flat aircraft are quite rare.

I've never understood the apologist mentality. There's a difference between understanding airline ops and blindly accepting unnecessarily passenger unfriendly policies.
Agreed.

Similarly if I book a deluxe room at a hotel, I don't expect to be given a standard or lower quality room and be told to "get over it'.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:25 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
We recently changed a ticket from paid Y to paid J (not a redemption) to ensure my pregnant wife could lie down on an upcoming flight, despite being a fairly short 3-3.5 hours. Just noticed now that CX have swapped the A350 for a regionally configured A330.

I've had numerous aircraft swaps on regional CX routes in the past and normally I don't really care. However this time we paid extra (for 2x tickets) to ensure we got lie-flat seats and I'm pretty disappointed to see they swapped the aircraft. Does anyone know our chances of being put on a different departure the same day (there's availability in the J cabin on every single flight at this stage), despite no availability in our booking class?
Is your ticket refundable? If getting the flat seat is important I would change to a carrier that guarantees it on your route.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll

What is the route? Demand a refund and switch carriers, is my recommendation.

To be fair you knew the risk and rolled the dice, but I still sympathize because equipment swaps suck from the customer's perspective and personally I hate them (especially since CX regional J is so uncomfortable).

Except once or twice a year burning excess Asia Miles, I've switched all my Singapore business to SQ. You can get guaranteed longhaul J 4x daily and F suites or seats 3x daily. Japan is harder unless you fly Tokyo exclusively, where CX offers once daily guaranteed longhaul each way to HND. For every other flight except those once daily HND flights on the 77H/A, you're rolling the dice choosing CX .
​​​​​​
(What's ironic about SIN is CX really has a superior product in J if CX sends a longhaul bird, IMO. CX lounges in HKG and SIN in my opinion are superior to what SQ J offers at both ends, as much as it pains me to endorse T4. And CX wifi, on about half the longhaul fleet and very rapidly being rolled out on the rest, beats SQ. Finally, I enjoy SQ J seat because I rarely recline on short flights, but if you want to lounge it isn't the best.

In F, however I think SQ crushes CX on short haul. Mostly because the CX regional F catering is very limited, especially for breakfast)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by mapleg
Agreed.

Similarly if I book a deluxe room at a hotel, I don't expect to be given a standard or lower quality room and be told to "get over it'.
Certainly understood the frustration here. However based on the logic of CX, the long haul J would be a “suite room” ie a bonus upgrade, whereby the regional J is the “deluxe room”. One cannot expect a guaranteed upgrade to “suite room” on a regional route.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by sxc

Is your ticket refundable? If getting the flat seat is important I would change to a carrier that guarantees it on your route.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
What is the route? Demand a refund and switch carriers, is my recommendation.
The route is HKG-BKK, which is the second leg of a multi city booking XXX-HKG (stopover)-BKK. The original economy booking was fully flexible (no change or cancellation fee) but the booking class we changed the ticket to (Business I) has fees for both cancellations and changes. Paying the cancellation fee (2x) and book a separate J ticket on another carrier would probably not be worth it.

I'm fully (and painfully) aware that I know what I was 'getting myself into' by booking CX on a route that sees frequent aircraft swaps. That being said, while I normally don't mind equipment swaps, this particular swap is sort of a 'big deal' for us and I'm hoping CX will be helpful on this one. Will give them a call today and report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.