Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

first when i book the ticket and purposely choose a350 aircraft flight.I did online check-in 30 hours before the departure, the aircraft still a350.however, 3 hours before departure, i did drop my bag at hkg mtr station. the ground staff never informed me of aircraft changed.when i double check the status by apps 2 hours before the flight, only realize my the flight that i taking was aircraft changed. 5-star airline no courtesy to alert their premium passenger that the seat was hugely downgraded, from lie flatbed to angle seat. i was so disappointed aircraft change from lie flatbed to angle seat and ground staff refused to change me to next flight. feel so unfair. like u bought a business class downgraded to premium economy. understand airline have right to change aircraft due requirement, but cx have so many lie flatbed aircraft to be changed, but end up changed to an angle seat. feeling like u pay money not getting the right thing. how will you handle a situation like this?

Last edited by Lbs890213; Jan 21, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
which sector?
all the time on regional sectors.
​​​
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Lol. It sucks, for sure but happens all the time. There are hundreds of posts and threads dedicated to it in here. Only regional route guaranteed is HND morning flight to HND and same plane returning late afternoon HND to HKG.

(For the record, I disagree with your analogy. I prefer PEY to regional J ).

Can you let us know how you bought your ticket, and how you knew it would be long haul aircraft? Just for curiosity's sake.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
I agree with the above- with the regional flights it happens with some frequency.

I flew during the US East Coast winter storm at the beginning of the month (IRROPS) and wasn't surprised that my onward A350 flight got swapped to a regional 772 whilst I was still inbound from the US. Stuff happens, aircraft type isn't guaranteed for any airline.

On the plus side, since the regional 772 doesn't have PEY, I got bumped to J in that case.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Happens all the time - get over it! I'm sure you had a nice flight in C nevertheless.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
regional plane always gets swapped.
my beef there is not the regional J or LH J (I have come to expect nothing), but my bassinet seat i selected now get swapped to some random seat. and if i forget, i lose my bassinet seat. has happened once.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by mlin32
I agree with the above- with the regional flights it happens with some frequency.

I flew during the US East Coast winter storm at the beginning of the month (IRROPS) and wasn't surprised that my onward A350 flight got swapped to a regional 772 whilst I was still inbound from the US. Stuff happens, aircraft type isn't guaranteed for any airline.

On the plus side, since the regional 772 doesn't have PEY, I got bumped to J in that case.
While I am not surprised about CX swapping equipment, I am surprised they switched to any aircraft that I think could not fly that far. Did it stop anywhere to refuel?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Lbs890213
first when i book the ticket and purposely choose a350 aircraft flight.I did online check-in 30 hours before the departure, the aircraft still a350.however, 3 hours before departure, i did drop my bag at hkg mtr station. the ground never informed me of aircraft changed.when i double check the status by apps 2 hours before the flight, only realize my the flight that i taking was aircraft changed. 5-star airline no courtesy to alert their premium passenger that the seat was hugely downgraded, from lie flatbed to angle seat. i was so disappointed aircraft change from lie flatbed to angle seat and ground staff refused to change me to next flight. feel so unfair. like u bought a business class downgraded to premium economy. understand airline have right to change aircraft due requirement, but cx have so many lie flatbed aircraft to be changed, but end up changed to an angle seat. feeling like u pay money not getting the right thing. how will you handle a situation like this?
I am surprised you didnt ask to be rebook with a different airline due to equipment changes and downgrade business class seat
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
While I am not surprised about CX swapping equipment, I am surprised they switched to any aircraft that I think could not fly that far. Did it stop anywhere to refuel?
I think he means his connecting flight ex HKG got swapped
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by Lbs890213
first when i book the ticket and purposely choose a350 aircraft flight.I did online check-in 30 hours before the departure, the aircraft still a350.however, 3 hours before departure, i did drop my bag at hkg mtr station. the ground never informed me of aircraft changed.when i double check the status by apps 2 hours before the flight, only realize my the flight that i taking was aircraft changed. 5-star airline no courtesy to alert their premium passenger that the seat was hugely downgraded, from lie flatbed to angle seat. i was so disappointed aircraft change from lie flatbed to angle seat and ground staff refused to change me to next flight. feel so unfair. like u bought a business class downgraded to premium economy. understand airline have right to change aircraft due requirement, but cx have so many lie flatbed aircraft to be changed, but end up changed to an angle seat. feeling like u pay money not getting the right thing. how will you handle a situation like this?
~90% of the time, I just roll with it.

~10% of the time, I will send in a comment to CX stating that I bought the relevant tix as opposed to flying with another airline specifically because the LH J seat was shown as the product I was buying at time of purchase, that I don't consider the regional J seat to be an equivalent product, and had regional J seat been shown as the product I was buying at time of purchase my purchase decision would have been different.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I think he means his connecting flight ex HKG got swapped
Yeah, I was flying inbound EWR-HKG (24h late) and my next flight HKG-TPE was swapped. I got the notification email inbound as the A350 has Wifi :P. It was a successful upgrade bid, so the add'l bump was a nice surprise ! (Y --> PEY --> J)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mlin32
Yeah, I was flying inbound EWR-HKG (24h late) and my next flight HKG-TPE was swapped. I got the notification email inbound as the A350 has Wifi :P. It was a successful upgrade bid, so the add'l bump was a nice surprise ! (Y --> PEY --> J)
CX regional (including HKG-TPE) J is probably closer to LH PEY.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'm on your side OP, that sucks, whether or not "it happens regularly."
Jane's Addiction likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
CX regional (including HKG-TPE) J is probably closer to LH PEY.
Agreed, it wasn't the "full" J with lie-flat and newer hard product. But the on-board service, with just 7 of us in J ^ . And the J seat on the regional 772 is more spacious than the PEY seat on an A350.

(I'm just tickled because I've never travelled in J except once domestic US and that was a lame excuse for J. Flying in the US sets the bar low)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
A classical first-world problem. But I hear OP's frustration.

If CX refuses to redress, OP should probably contact Customs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.