Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Reply

Old May 31, 18, 10:13 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum, MPC Silver
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by YVR_Traveller View Post
Does anyone know if HKG -> TPE has frequent equipment swaps? I specifically avoided the recliners and booked a nice afternoon flight on a 33K with LH config but reading this thread, I'm a bit scared on an equipment swap. Any info regarding this route would be helpful, thanks.
From past experience this route does have a lot of equipment changes. Roll of the dice...
clubeurope likes this.
nightkhan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 10:47 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: MH, AC, AS
Posts: 1,577
Originally Posted by YVR_Traveller View Post
Does anyone know if HKG -> TPE has frequent equipment swaps? I specifically avoided the recliners and booked a nice afternoon flight on a 33K with LH config but reading this thread, I'm a bit scared on an equipment swap. Any info regarding this route would be helpful, thanks.
HKG-TPE is probably the “flagship route” when it comes to swaps...
SilverChris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 6:04 pm
  #78  
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post

HKG-TPE is probably the “flagship route” when it comes to swaps...
I agree, and don't forget Singapore
clubeurope is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 6:21 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
I agree, and don't forget Singapore
TPE is worse, if only because there are ~3x more frequencies daily. It's a merry go round.

To YVRTraveler, the fellow we're responding to most recently, I wouldn't count anything in the bag. The *best* odds of guaranteeing the flat bed are on one of the morning frequencies, usually CX474. It's usually flown by a long-haul aircraft that landed in the early morning and is utilized during the daytime. If everything goes as planned the plane you booked will stay....but TPE is the first thing to get swapped when something elsewhere in the system doesn't go as planned, which is obviously quite frequently given the size of the CX network. Just prepare yourself for disappointment.

Likewise, the inverse could happen. On my flight to TPE ~10 days ago I was scheduled for 773, but a last minute (~2 hours before departure) swap brought 77H instead.
clubeurope likes this.
QRC3288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 6:25 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Fairmont Platinum, Le Club Accor Platinum,
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by YVR_Traveller View Post
Does anyone know if HKG -> TPE has frequent equipment swaps? I specifically avoided the recliners and booked a nice afternoon flight on a 33K with LH config but reading this thread, I'm a bit scared on an equipment swap. Any info regarding this route would be helpful, thanks.
As many people have mentioned, yes they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

I hate the regional config, I call it World Best Premium Economy (although some PEYs seem to be catching up) I do however want to point out that HKG-TPE could be as short as 1hr 13 mins, so it doesn't make much difference whether is regional or long haul config to me as long as it fits my schedule.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 31, 18 at 11:42 pm
FlyPointyEnd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 6:41 pm
  #81  
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
As many people have mentioned, yet they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

I hate the regional config, I call it World Best Premium Economy (although some PEYs seem to be catching up) I do however want to point out that HKG-TPE could be as short as 1hr 13 mins, so it doesn't make much difference whether is regional or long haul config to me as long as it fits my schedule.
Whenever I book 474 for the 35G or the 77H... I always end up with a 33G... :/
clubeurope is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 11:32 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
As many people have mentioned, yet they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

I hate the regional config, I call it World Best Premium Economy (although some PEYs seem to be catching up) I do however want to point out that HKG-TPE could be as short as 1hr 13 mins, so it doesn't make much difference whether is regional or long haul config to me as long as it fits my schedule.
Thanks for the advice guys. You're definitely right that it probably doesn't matter much since it's such a short flight but I would still be pretty disappointed if a swap happens. I was actually originally booked on one of the earlier frequencies but I really wanted to get some breakfast from my favourite HK Cha Chan Tangs so made the switch!
YVR_Traveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 18, 11:41 pm
  #83  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Posts: 9,360
Originally Posted by YVR_Traveller View Post
I was actually originally booked on one of the earlier frequencies but I really wanted to get some breakfast from my favourite HK Cha Chan Tangs so made the switch!
WHAT?? The lovely CX breakfast isn't good enough?
APeverell likes this.
sxc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 18, 12:08 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Fairmont Platinum, Le Club Accor Platinum,
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
WHAT?? The lovely CX breakfast isn't good enough?
I think he meant The Pier F. Turning into a nice Cha Chaan Teng ;-)
sxc and kaka like this.
FlyPointyEnd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 18, 4:31 am
  #85  
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
I think he meant The Pier F. Turning into a nice Cha Chaan Teng ;-)
*soft narrator voice* : Presenting the new dining experience at The Pier, more of Hong Kong than you can imagine in an Airport Lounge...
clubeurope is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 18, 5:01 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,840
Talking about soft narration, simmo flew et hkg nrt and ran into stephen chan, who used to narrate for a few rthk and tvb extended news programs.
clubeurope likes this.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:06 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 397
This just happened to me. Traveling BKK-HKG. I chose an A350 flight deliberately. Now I went to check in and it’s now a 777 with regional business class.

There re were several A350 options for that day at the time of booking and now all are either 777 or A330. Unfortunately I discovered this thread too late or I wouldn’t have booked CX at all.
david_oz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:12 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
This just happened to me. Traveling BKK-HKG. I chose an A350 flight deliberately. Now I went to check in and it’s now a 777 with regional business class.

There re were several A350 options for that day at the time of booking and now all are either 777 or A330. Unfortunately I discovered this thread too late or I wouldn’t have booked CX at all.
i understand people’s frustration that the aircraft cabin has been switched but there’s no need to get upset or even vow to never fly with cx anymore. You’re still onboard CX with the ancillary service/lounge/baggage that it brings.

And it’s called Regional business class for a reason and for a 2 or even 3 hour BKK/SIN for example it’s perfectly fine and you do not need a lie flat bed. In some ways CX should keep long haul aircraft on long haul routes and use regional business class exclusively around Asia to prevent disappointment like this - but then J passengers wouldn’t get the unexpected delight of a flat bed to TPE. 😑
bhyq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:39 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 397
Originally Posted by bhyq View Post


i understand people’s frustration that the aircraft cabin has been switched but there’s no need to get upset or even vow to never fly with cx anymore. You’re still onboard CX with the ancillary service/lounge/baggage that it brings.

And it’s called Regional business class for a reason and for a 2 or even 3 hour BKK/SIN for example it’s perfectly fine and you do not need a lie flat bed. In some ways CX should keep long haul aircraft on long haul routes and use regional business class exclusively around Asia to prevent disappointment like this - but then J passengers wouldn’t get the unexpected delight of a flat bed to TPE. 😑
Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
david_oz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:52 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,514
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post


Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
No, they don't. They are quite clear there is one product for long haul flights and another for regional flights. If you book a regional flight you have to expect a regional product. Getting a long haul product is just a bonus. Thanks to blogs and travel websites people have begun to think a long haul aircraft is a standard offering on regional flights.
fakecd, sxc, denkigroove and 2 others like this.
1010101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread