Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Reply

Old Jan 21, 18, 2:09 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SIN/BRS
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 415
Talking

Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
What is there to "handle"?

You either fly, or don't and deal with the cancelation consequences if there are any. Are you looking for compensation?
It's a BA award ticket, according to OP. It would probably be difficult, if not impossible, to get compensation.

Also, OP, please do away with your righteousness by saying you "bought" the flight. You redeemed the flight. If you really needed to work right after touch down, then book SQ as people have mentioned here where your lie-flat is for certain. I wouldn't have taken a chance with redeeming flights for work purposes as well if I'd know I'll have to be there at a certain time and date, but that's just me.
MeltingAlf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 18, 3:44 pm
  #32  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,088
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf View Post
Also, OP, please do away with your righteousness by saying you "bought" the flight. You redeemed the flight.
I won't push this argument too far as miles are still valuable and redemption passengers are still revenue passengers as opposed to, say, ID90.

Originally Posted by Lbs890213 View Post
feel so unfair. like u bought a business class downgraded to premium economy.
No the analogy (at least in terms of Cathay Dragon) is buying Business and getting First seat (Cathay Dragon First seat is a Cathay Pacific long-haul business seat).

P.S. I did suggest CX sell long-haul J on regional routes as First to avoid any expectations shortfall Long haul sold as regional class selling idea

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 21, 18 at 5:07 pm
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 18, 4:37 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,325
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I won't push this argument too far as miles are still valuable and redemption passengers are still revenue passengers as opposed to, say, ID90.
lol let's not go too far down this rabbit hole again! In some cases, the ID90 contribution and the partner award payment are not far off. Once you factor in a lounge visit (or two) by the award ticket user, the net to CX might very well be the same....or even worse for the partner award in some limited cases.

CX recently rejiggered its zone pricing for ID pax generally making it cheaper, so this probably doesn't apply anymore (literally as of a month ago). But the previous zone pricing, I could easily see plenty of situations where it was probably economically worse for CX to accept an elite (+1 lounge entry) lounge-using partner redemption vs an ID passenger.

It sucks for the OP, I hate CX's regional swaps as much as anyone else. I rant about them in here frequently. But I do kinda agree with the logic of reason and proportionality. I'm clever enough with mileage programs now to know BA has insanely cheap regional J pricing. Whether right or wrong, I'd have more sympathy if he was on an Asia Miles ticket (more expensive, aka more miles) and even more on a cash ticket. It's like why you told me a while back not to take Scoot....sure it's cheap, but it might not fly and they're you're screwed! You get what you pay for.

Of course, presumably all pax on the OPs flight were screwed....but I don't think it changes my feeling. If you burned 10k Avios or whatever it is, that's definitely a "steal" in J class on this sector. You can easily pay $2k USD round trip. You just move on.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 21, 18 at 4:43 pm
QRC3288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 18, 5:07 pm
  #34  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,088
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Of course, presumably all pax on the OPs flight were screwed....but I don't think it changes my feeling. If you burned 10k Avios or whatever it is, that's definitely a "steal" in J class on this sector. You can easily pay $2k USD round trip. You just move on.
20k Avios HKG-SIN one-way but point taken - that is still the fare for a regional J, non-lie flat seat.

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
No the analogy (at least in terms of Cathay Dragon) is buying Business and getting First seat (Cathay Dragon First seat is a Cathay Pacific long-haul business seat).
I did suggest CX sell long-haul J on regional routes as First to avoid any expectations shortfall Long haul sold as regional class selling idea
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:56 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,832
I quite like how cx doesnt fly the long haul product On regional routes, and you’ll always have SQ JL providing the flat bed product
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:57 am
  #36  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,088
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
I quite like how cx doesnt fly the long haul product On regional routes, and you’ll always have SQ JL providing the flat bed product
JL = HKG-HND-SIN?

HND's snowed in right now...
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:02 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,832
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
JL = HKG-HND-SIN?

HND's snowed in right now...
sq to sin
jl to tyo
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:11 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: HK
Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Posts: 2,620
stop moaning and direct your business away. tpo many ppl complain how CX sucks one form or other and still fly them. if you aint happy move to other carier. if you gotta stay with CX keep mouth shut and accept reality. thats what i have done...

money talks and yes equipmebt swap happens often enough.
kaka, nolounge and Chromie25 like this.
fakecd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:49 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,325
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
stop moaning and direct your business away. tpo many ppl complain how CX sucks one form or other and still fly them. if you aint happy move to other carier. if you gotta stay with CX keep mouth shut and accept reality. thats what i have done...

money talks and yes equipmebt swap happens often enough.
Well, the OP is the one moaning and he/she paid Avios, which is AFAIK the hands down cheapest way to book that seat. That's kinda my point. I don't have too much sympathy here given what a great deal those Avios J fares are anyway. And I'd say the OP still got a good deal even with the angled seat. Where it sucks is if you're paying real money and get the swap.

Personally I've just taken to booking SQ down to SIN when I want a guaranteed F product or must have longhaul J. Usually those flights are client related.
QRC3288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:48 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: CX
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by Lbs890213 View Post
the problem is, i choose the flight ,because i need to take a nap , i need to work right after touch down,therefore i bought tat flight
So for a < 4 hr flight, what did you really needed? The WiFi or the lay flat seat?
nolounge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:50 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: MNL / SFO / NYC
Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
No valid expectation of long haul in CX - if you book CX regional J you're setting yourself up for bait-and-switch without the legal protections of bait-and-switch.

And your desire to sleep is irrelevant - CX allocates resources by profit, not by need. Even worse with regional J of redeyes (CX412/524/566/659/753/KA318/396)
CX 524 was the worst CX flight I even took. The arrival time in NRT is the one saving grace for this flight since it lands just after the curfew is lifted so connecting is very easy. The routinely delay this flight because you can't land in NRT earlier than 6 am. Ever since I've stuck to the CX 520/521 pair if ever I needed to take NRT instead of HND even if it means over-nighting to catch the next segment of my trip.
TravelwhileyouEat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:02 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,832
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat View Post
CX 524 was the worst CX flight I even took. The arrival time in NRT is the one saving grace for this flight since it lands just after the curfew is lifted so connecting is very easy. The routinely delay this flight because you can't land in NRT earlier than 6 am. Ever since I've stuck to the CX 520/521 pair if ever I needed to take NRT instead of HND even if it means over-nighting to catch the next segment of my trip.
no way man the worst is 566. Especially if they give you gave gate 5x. The pier closes between 0030 and 0100 but boarding doesnt start till 0125 or even 0135.
if u r at the wing, the train shuts at 0100.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:31 pm
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: HK; YVR + GVA
Programs: MPO DM; PenClub; Netjets;
Posts: 21
Boo hoo, oh no, your aircraft got swapped!

OP, you know how you can guarantee no swapping of your aircraft and have different seats and musical chairs every time? Get your own plane! It certainly works for me!
tuhao888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:44 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: MNL / SFO / NYC
Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by kaka View Post

no way man the worst is 566. Especially if they give you gave gate 5x. The pier closes between 0030 and 0100 but boarding doesnt start till 0125 or even 0135.
if u r at the wing, the train shuts at 0100.
I never had the 'pleasure' of taking 566, last time I was on 524 it was assigned gate 47... and it was delayed to a 1:45 departure (apparently to wait for connecting pax and because of the curfew at NRT) without the info boards updating. I really don't mind the walk from The Wing to gate 50 or 70, as long as I'm prepared to do it (which usually I am given that the gate is assigned hours before - though the dreaded gate change does play in the back of my mind from time to time), it takes me around 20-25 leisurely minutes to walk it.
TravelwhileyouEat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:57 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL/CCR) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,555
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf View Post
It's a BA award ticket, according to OP. It would probably be difficult, if not impossible, to get compensation.

Also, OP, please do away with your righteousness by saying you "bought" the flight. You redeemed the flight. If you really needed to work right after touch down, then book SQ as people have mentioned here where your lie-flat is for certain. I wouldn't have taken a chance with redeeming flights for work purposes as well if I'd know I'll have to be there at a certain time and date, but that's just me.
How has redeeming a flight for work purposes got anything to do with wanting to be there on a certan time/date.
ermen is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread