Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by garykung
A classical first-world problem.
This is more of a classic CX problem than a first-world one. Most of its competitors aren't capable of doing this with such frequency.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Right or wrong, as I've mentioned in previous threads CX has lost a decent chunk of my premium cabin business flying to SIN as a result of the swaps.

SQ you can guarantee long haul J and F.

CX you can't.

In the last twelve months I've done 5 Singapore round trips from HKG. 2x on CX and 3x on SQ. 3 in J and 2 in F. Here's a helpful breakdown for the CX beancounters:

CX: 2x Asia Miles mileage redemption J tickets.
SQ: 1x cash J ticket, 2x cash F tickets.

The fact CX "usually" has a predictable product is useless. Because it's the fact you COULD be swapped out which is the issue. Somewhat tragic too, because I find the CX 35G J class a lovely regional product, especially with WiFi for productivity. I probably would've just paid cash for all the J class tickets on CX if I could absolutely guarantee the 35G or a wifi-equipped 77W when that happens. But you can't.

And like we all know, you can't guarantee F to SIN either (that's an even-more-likely equipment swap).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:05 pm

The way i view it is regional flights get a regional product. If you get a long haul product thats an upgrade, not the other way around.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
If they can confirm short haul product on cx, i would fly them more often.
who cares about a flat bed when ure not gonna sleep.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
Not what I care about, I just want to be clear. I rarely put the long-haul seat into bed mode regionally.

I care about
1.) privacy of my work (both hard papers and computer screen),
2.) direct aisle access, and
now that I've realized how great it is...
3.) WiFi.

I frequently run into competitors and peers on CX plane rides. Five months ago, I was randomly seated next to one of my largest competitors HND-HKG on 772Z. You have zero privacy in those 772Z seats.

CX PEY is essentially the same gig as regional J class for me: I lose #1 and #2 anyway with both PEY and regional J. I prefer regional PEY because at least it reclines and is comfy, instead of slides forward...all for a cheaper price. And if you have a window seat in PEY, you actually have more privacy working on your computer / papers than in regional J.

Another option for privacy is 333 and buy two economy seats. I've done this before on KA actually! It seems a little strange to me though that I find 2 KA Y seats better than a J seat. Doesn't say a whole lot about the CX/KA J class regional product.

Originally Posted by 1010101
The way i view it is regional flights get a regional product. If you get a long haul product thats an upgrade, not the other way around.

Sure, I hear what you guys are saying.

But the reality is, CX has a huge longhaul fleet and you *often* can closely predict your plane type. CX474/475, CX691, CX759, etc. usually have LH equipment. Which is what makes it frustrating when 35G doesn't appear and instad you have 772Z..

The 773/772Z aircraft are the worst IMO, since no seats have guaranteed aisle access. Either you crawl over someone or someone crawls over you. At least 33P has D and G which guarantee you aisle access.

CX's competitors, at least from what I can tell (SQ, JL and ANA at least) have predictable planes on the same routes.

It wouldn't be a problem if the tickets were priced differently. But nobody can argue honestly that 35G with WiFi and a private seat is equal in value to 772Z J class in the middle seat. If these things were being priced side by side on the same route, I guarantee you the latter would be significantly cheaper.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 19, 2018 at 8:30 pm Reason: typo...."aisle access" not "window access"
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
If you want wifi then u may only need a350. Nothing to do w long haul product.

Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:21 pm

If you want wifi then u may only need a350. Nothing to do w long haul product.

I prefer privacy, direct aisle access and WiFi. Only long-haul equipment on CX give me the first two.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Happened to me last week. My Bangkok to Hong Kong sector had a 77G swap for a 772Z! No alert; I checked and noticed we'd been dropped from PEY to regular economy. Called and was told I'd get downgrade comp + a voucher. I instead asked to be put on an earlier flight that had PEY (35G). Happens all the time unfortunately. Maybe when the A35Js come online it'll go down a bit, but still, not a good look, and I let them know in the survey which they won't read.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
which sector?
all the time on regional sectors.
hkg-sin, dont u think this is not fair,wher is the fairness and cosumer right
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Lol. It sucks, for sure but happens all the time. There are hundreds of posts and threads dedicated to it in here. Only regional route guaranteed is HND morning flight to HND and same plane returning late afternoon HND to HKG.

(For the record, I disagree with your analogy. I prefer PEY to regional J ).

Can you let us know how you bought your ticket, and how you knew it would be long haul aircraft? Just for curiosity's sake.
booked BA award ticket
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

the problem is, i choose the flight ,because i need to take a nap , i need to work right after touch down,therefore i bought tat flight
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

i feel so upset, because i pay the money/mile , i choose the aircraft, i wan privacy, wifi, lie flatbed, less dryness. and end up i get nothing, not even a notify. ticket agent reply me, this happens regularly and every day.they also dont know aircraft being changed. so they cannot do anything. such an unprofessional answer from 5 star airlines.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Lbs890213
first when i book the ticket and purposely choose a350 aircraft flight.I did online check-in 30 hours before the departure, the aircraft still a350.however, 3 hours before departure, i did drop my bag at hkg mtr station. the ground staff never informed me of aircraft changed.when i double check the status by apps 2 hours before the flight, only realize my the flight that i taking was aircraft changed. 5-star airline no courtesy to alert their premium passenger that the seat was hugely downgraded, from lie flatbed to angle seat. i was so disappointed aircraft change from lie flatbed to angle seat and ground staff refused to change me to next flight. feel so unfair. like u bought a business class downgraded to premium economy. understand airline have right to change aircraft due requirement, but cx have so many lie flatbed aircraft to be changed, but end up changed to an angle seat. feeling like u pay money not getting the right thing. how will you handle a situation like this?
What is there to "handle"?

You either fly, or don't and deal with the cancelation consequences if there are any. Are you looking for compensation?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
SQ then https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-sin...ess-class-seat

No valid expectation of long haul in CX - if you book CX regional J you're setting yourself up for bait-and-switch without the legal protections of bait-and-switch.

And your desire to sleep is irrelevant - CX allocates resources by profit, not by need. Even worse with regional J of redeyes (CX412/524/566/659/753/KA318/396)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lbs890213
i feel so upset, because i pay the money/mile , i choose the aircraft, i wan privacy, wifi, lie flatbed, less dryness. and end up i get nothing, not even a notify. ticket agent reply me, this happens regularly and every day.they also dont know aircraft being changed. so they cannot do anything. such an unprofessional answer from 5 star airlines.
I understand your frustration, however the contract you bought was J class from HKG-SIN, and I believe they fulfilled that obligation. The ticket agent is not wrong, and swaps happen all the time from months in advance right up to an hour before departure. The last minute nature of this particular case leads me to believe CX had every intention of operating the A350 for your flight but because of rotation/technical/capacity issues it was changed to minimise the overall effect to the CX operation. Don’t forget they have the bigger picture and don’t change aircraft without a valid reason, so whilst you didn’t get WiFi and a flat bed, you stil got lounge access/priority baggage/business class seat and meal/service.

Last edited by bhyq; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.