Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific vs. EVA Airlines vs. China Airlines Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Hi..

Was hoping some of you folks might give me your thoughts on Cathay Pacific's Premium Economy products vs. China Airlines and EVA. We will be traveling from SGN to JFK---all airlines have similar prices for our dates of travel and similar travel times. If it matters the layover for China Airlines and EVA are in TPE, the layover for Cathay is in HKG...all are about 3 hours. The China Airlines and Cathay flights are on the same kind of aircraft (A330 from SGN), and then both fly 777 from HKG or TPE to JFK. EVA is 777 on both legs. One thing I saw was that China Air provided business class service from SGN to TPE whereas Cathay and EVA were Premium Economy for the entire trip. My wife and I are both shorter folks--I am 5'6", she is 5'1"---one thing that we thought looked nice/comfortable on China Air is that it looked like all of their Premium Economy Seats had leg rests (like a Lazy Boy) whereas Cathay looked to only have them on the front seats in Premium Economy. For my wife in particular, she sometimes has trouble getting her feet on the standard foot rests because of her height. EVA's seats looked similar to Cathay but I cold not tell for sure. Basically, we are looking for the most comfortable/pleasant option of the two carriers---food is not really a big deal for us, and our needs for inflight service are pretty negligible.

Also, for $900 more per person, we can fly Business Class on Cathay---so that was something we were considering too. Basically, given the length of the flight and the above airlines, is this a reasonable premium to pay for the additional space/comfort?

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by stephenandrew
Also, for $900 more per person, we can fly Business Class on Cathay---so that was something we were considering too. Basically, given the length of the flight and the above airlines, is this a reasonable premium to pay for the additional space/comfort?
I would pay the excess, personally.

Otherwise I would go with CX PE.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: TK*G
Seat-wise I think they are similar. On the issue of leg rest, I think CX is upgrading their PE seats such that seats on all rows (not just the first row) also get the leg rest.
Food: BR >>>> CI > CX
Service: Similar

Next thing I would consider is whether miles/status matters as they are from 3 totally different alliances.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would take that in a heartbeat. You get a very comfortable lie-flat seat for the nearly 16 hour flight HKG-JFK vs. a slightly upgraded economy seat. It's a completely different experience.
fairhsa, hockeystl and preahkaew like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would take that in a heartbeat. You get a very comfortable lie-flat seat for the nearly 16 hour flight HKG-JFK vs. a slightly upgraded economy seat. It's a completely different experience.
+1
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
If internet access is something you would like to have during the duration of the trip, EVA would be my choice.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: CX
$900 (USD?) more for 4 segments of J is a steal, jump on it!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
CX J for an extra $900 is my choice for such a long flight. I would even purposefully lengthen my layover in HKG so I can go into the city to partake on my guilty food pleasures (that last part is a personal thing).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Second those suggesting CX J. CX lounges are nice.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
CX J for sure, vast difference between PE and J. $900 is a bargain.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I'll join the chorus. +$900 For upgrade from Premium to Business is a great deal. I would take that in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
+1 me too on the upgrade. Cathay Biz is excellent.

Otherwise, most of the Cathay PEY seats now have leg rests. However, some places have the new seats altogether. The new seats are slightly narrower, but overall much better and the leg rest is excellent (full leg rest, not just the bar at the bottom).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went ahead and decided to do what nearly all of you mentioned....booked the Cathay Business Class seats in lieu of the Premium Economy Seats. I'm sure it will be a more comfortable ride...and should be a fun experience. Not something we do very often....again, thank you.
JHIN and trooper like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I see you bought biz class, which would have been my suggestion too given the difference.

i did an extensive PE trip report blogger review recently myself for those airlines. My take away was CX & Eva neck & neck though each had their minute differences and both rated high than China Air for what that is worth. My favorite has always been Cathay until they cheapened up. Eva is temptng given they have flights out of SEA.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
CX J for an extra $900 is my choice for such a long flight. I would even purposefully lengthen my layover in HKG so I can go into the city to partake on my guilty food pleasures (that last part is a personal thing).
+1

Easy choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.